Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Anyone expecting a system that draws ~120-150W power to exceed performance of a dedicated PC sucking at least twice that amount is a) either clueless or b) having a $$$ agenda to adhere.

Or they're a consoletard used to getting custom bleeding-edge hardware sold at a major loss. Xbox360 was like that at release, for instance. However, the world of tech has moved on since then, and indeed, no way can a 150W console compete with a 250W discrete GPU. But, again, consoletards wouldn't know this. There was much confusion and gnashing of teeth about this on neogaf when console specs were announced.

Console-tards exist because they're a) cheapos short time (and long-term lose money due to ridiculous full-price titles) or b) like exclusives.

I can understand b) (who wouldn't like to play next From Software game on PC), but in terms of economics consoles have drastically lost competition. You'll never get a AAA game a year later for 10 bucks on PS4/Xbox like you do on Steam.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hate to break the fun, but that data is wrong.

PS4 doesn't use a 7870M, it uses a custom-designed Volcanic Islands with bandwith of 175Gbps and 1,84TFLOPS computing performance.

A shitty R7 260 with API overhead is about what you have in an XBO. That's good if you enjoy 720p/30fps gameplay, but that also makes you a cheapo.

Good Desktop gaming starts with $1000 upwards.
A good gaming desktop can easily be had for ~$800.

However, that's irrelevant because a not-good gaming desktop will easily outmatch one of these consoles.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I suggest you play one of these Unreal Engine 4 demos. You'll see they require quite something beefy to sustain good frame rates. Eventually, there will be some degree of convergence between today's mid-tier cards and consoles due to optimizations.

Drew

Savant
Nothing quite like alienating your day one supporters, eh?

18bc3a0d6e89d4a60139634a13e78cbf.png

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
If you're playing a recent game on PC, it's almost definitely going to be one of the following:
  • a console port
  • an indie game, put together by a small team with a low budget
  • an mmo, intended to run on just about any computer that people still use
None of these require an expensive computer.

Bottom line is, for the price of $400 the PS4 provides excellent overall value. But that's only relevant if you're cheapo. Everyone else plays on a Desktop like a proper man.

qZB84hd.jpg

I hate to break the fun, but that data is wrong.

PS4 doesn't use a 7870M, it uses a custom-designed Volcanic Islands with bandwith of 175Gbps and 1,84TFLOPS computing performance.

A shitty R7 260 with API overhead is about what you have in an XBO. That's good if you enjoy 720p/30fps gameplay, but that also makes you a cheapo.

Good Desktop gaming (1080p/60fps) starts with $1000 upwards.

That explains why the R7 260 can do 1080p/60fps at mid-low settings while the PS4 and XBOne can only handle 720p/30fps at low settings? And by "handle" I mean "dream of", because we've seen many games that are more like 720p/20fps with dips down to the 10-15 range.

Parrot marketing speak about custom-designed super-charged PC all you like, performance of the consoles have been tested to be shit and well below a $400 PC. And good desktop gaming starts around $600, assuming you aren't a moron.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You're still factually wrong. It's not a 7870M. The hardware has been analysed by various professionals (not to mention confirmed by both Mark Cerny and AMD) and there's still lots of hidden power that needs to be exploited once cross-platform development ceases entirely. That's what I mean with convergence. I'm not interested in what the PS4 does with shitty cross-platform titles today, but what it can do in 2-3 years time and how this translates to PC requirements.

OK
:hearnoevil:

Regardless of how retarded you may think you are in understanding console specs, you're certainly a grade A idiot if you think a decent PC costs $1000. Ludicrously incompetent, in fact.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Nintento's going out of the console business for awhile, even with the WiiU being a dud. They've suffered through a similar catastrophe before with the Gamecube and they'll probably try and stick through it again.

Plus people really underestimate how filthy, stinking rich Nintendo really is. Someone did a number crunch on the amount of money they have in their loot chest, and they reckon that it'd take eight years of continuous losses of the same level that they've been having for the past year before they'd run out of money.
That's really not as much as it sounds. Generally companies don't wait to run out of money before they sell themselves to a new owner. Dunno who'd afford to buy Nintendo though, so there's that.
Microsoft. Kill the Nintendo hardware and make Mario and Pokemon as Xbox exclusives. You know MS would do it if they could.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
OK

Regardless of how retarded you may think you are in understanding console specs, you're certainly a grade A idiot if you think a decent PC costs $1000. Ludicrously incompetent, in fact.

Including new case, good PSU brand, 16GB RAM, new mobo, new CPU, new GPU..... yeah, I think $1000 is alright.

You're still wrong about the 7870M. Stop spreading disinformation, and learn to properly argue.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
OK

Including new case, good PSU brand, 16GB RAM, new mobo, new CPU, new GPU..... yeah, I think $1000 is alright.

You're still wrong about the 7870M. Stop spreading disinformation, and learn to properly argue.
'k

Wasteland 2
I am not sure if Morgoth is a troll, or just an ignorant fuck, but either way his shtick is getting seriously boring.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
there's still lots of hidden power that needs to be exploited
:lol:

The only things that will be exploited is tricks to make the future games playable in spite of the technology not due to it. Let's be honest, devs really did a decent job extending the last gen's lifecycle by making the games still look ok despite the basic equipment being from 2005 or even earlier(when projected).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm looking forward when Watch Dogs comes out in a couple weeks and half the internet is gonna whine because it runs so shitty on their supposedly superior PCs.
I can venture a guess why it will run like shit and it will have nothing to do with our PCs hardware.

Angthoron

Arcane
Shit, time to change the thread title to XB1 wins:

Holy shit, talking boobs!

That's really not as much as it sounds. Generally companies don't wait to run out of money before they sell themselves to a new owner. Dunno who'd afford to buy Nintendo though, so there's that.
Microsoft. Kill the Nintendo hardware and make Mario and Pokemon as Xbox exclusives. You know MS would do it if they could.

Not sure. MS has been having a lot of internal strife and shareholder pressure to steer away from further expansion into "non-core" MS fields. EA or Activision would probably be the most likely group, I suspect, but for their general AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA game purposes, hardware Nintendo has licensed is too weak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom