Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They failed to force it in music and movies, but because the gaming culture is full of brodudes, children, and manchildren they probably have a better shot in games. It is part of a long-term strategy to get people acclimated to not owning things they buy so that corporations can control customer behavior.
They're not doing very well at that so far then, since your typical steam user does think that he owns the games in his account, and would be absolutely livid if they were taken away, regardless of what it says in the terms of use.

Divx was something entirely different, it was an explicit rental and failed because it was inconvenient compared to renting a dvd the old-fashioned way.

They failed to force it in music and movies, but because the gaming culture is full of brodudes, children, and manchildren they probably have a better shot in games. It is part of a long-term strategy to get people acclimated to not owning things they buy so that corporations can control customer behavior.
They're not doing very well at that so far then, since your typical steam user does think that he owns the games in his account, and would be absolutely livid if they were taken away, regardless of what it says in the terms of use.

They still do de facto own the games for all purposes other than multiplayer access. Steam is treading a fine line at the moment.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
:hmmm:

IDtenT, what happened to you man? Were you in a car accident recently and are now suffering from severe, inrepairable brain damage?
My bro was in a car accident recently. :(

I'm "Devil's Advocate"ing and I honestly believe some features have potential and that the XBO is more future-proof. I also think that digital media as a service makes more sense than products. I honestly don't care about console games, and if I was inclined to care I'd get a Nintendo for it anyways.

OT: I wholeheartedly stand by my stance concerning TES combat. I've never liked dungeon crawling and I've never liked fighters (So that means that really the last RPG I'd like is Dark Souls. What's interesting is that I actually kinda liked Severance and really like Ultima Underworld (then again, it's still an Ultima in a dungeon, not a dungeon crawl) - but maybe that's just age).

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
XBox support twitter is unreliable and didn't directly address that. I'd wait until test cases are revealed, but I'd be gobsmacked if they did.

You have a serious case of Stockholm syndrome bro, holy fuck.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Coming soon exclusively to Xbone TV: "Furries & Elves: Episode One". Featuring Microsoft's own Major Nelson as a Pedo-Furry.

Nintendo sues.

majornelson96yl9.png

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's probably because I've banged so many asians chicks.. grass is always greener etc.. I spent a lot of time in Japan.

Not to brag but I had one night stand..

but I had too many books so I got a another.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I really doubt if even Microsoft has enough cash to bring about such sweeping trends and create multi billion dollar industries with profiligate spending. If it truly was the omnipotent overlord you portray it as, we'd all be playing games on our Windows 8 PCs and Windows Phone would be the dominant force in the mobile world.

Shit like this doesn't happen overnight and is much larger than any single company. If MS hadn't done it, somebody else would have. They were right to do it too, considering how much money they made off consoles.
Microsoft didn't make any money from the original Xbox until the year before the 360 was released. At which point they promptly went into the red again because console hardware is heavily subsidized.

Make no mistake the Xbox idea was a concerted effort by Microsoft to enter a new market and take control of it at significant cost to itself.

They had a combined operating profit of a billion dollars in FY 2009 and 2010. They wouldn't be in this market for 10 years if they still had to subsidise it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom