Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree with basically everything you said here except for the " Codexers are such obnoxious, whiny little babies"
That was the least controversial part of my post.

I'm honestly shocked more Codexers are not attached to the delete functionality. I would think this is the ultimate freedom, as I should have the right to determine whether or not something I post stays on the internet or not. Also, no idea where this phone number meme came from. Just download an authenticator app onto your computer and connect it to the Codex. No phone number required.

That being said, I will repost my suggestion as I think it solves this entire fiasco perfectly.
I think I have a solution. Taluntain Would it be possible to make it so the only people who can edit posts are the ones with 2FA enabled? That way we get to preserve our right to delete posts, and if someone chooses to have an unsecure account, they won't have the ability to delete their posts and this will prevent shit like this from happening. If someone ends up getting hacked and all their posts edited, then that will be their fault and the administration won't have any responsibility to fix the edited posts.
Assuming it's possible, we can move on with our lives and forget about this stupid drama.
may be because we're old enough to remember the internet where logging anywhere took one step - enter password
your account didnt 'integrate' with anything at all and couldn't be cross-referenced and nobody tracked your movement online not even the fucking cia
If you have any better ideas on how we can avoid this problem, I'd love to fucking hear it. Or are you just going to bitch and complain?

SlamDunk

Arcane
This makes malevolent action a bit harder to do, so, in that regard, this was a good move.

I've also had no issues with the E-mail verification system.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I agree with basically everything you said here except for the " Codexers are such obnoxious, whiny little babies"

I'm honestly shocked more Codexers are not attached to the delete functionality. I would think this is the ultimate freedom, as I should have the right to determine whether or not something I post stays on the internet or not. Also, no idea where this phone number meme came from. Just download an authenticator app onto your computer and connect it to the Codex. No phone number required.

That being said, I will repost my suggestion as I think it solves this entire fiasco perfectly.
I think I have a solution. Taluntain Would it be possible to make it so the only people who can edit posts are the ones with 2FA enabled? That way we get to preserve our right to delete posts, and if someone chooses to have an unsecure account, they won't have the ability to delete their posts and this will prevent shit like this from happening. If someone ends up getting hacked and all their posts edited, then that will be their fault and the administration won't have any responsibility to fix the edited posts.
Assuming it's possible, we can move on with our lives and forget about this stupid drama.
may be because we're old enough to remember the internet where logging anywhere took one step - enter password
your account didnt 'integrate' with anything at all and couldn't be cross-referenced and nobody tracked your movement online not even the fucking cia
If you have any better ideas on how we can avoid this problem, I'd love to fucking hear it. Or are you just going to bitch and complain?
I'm of the mind that blood sacrifices are always a valid starting point, and given that you're a virgin your blood will be the best for the job

ArchAngel

Arcane
It turned out that by some miracle I still have access to the junk email address I have used to register here.
This is a good point. Who knows how many people used such address and they will not be able to log in now. Even less people will have accounts after this shit or they will have to create new ones..

BruceVC

Magister

I'm of the mind that blood sacrifices are always a valid starting point, and given that you're a virgin your blood will be the best for the job
But on a serious note I havent heard a realistic alternative to 2FA? I am hearing lots of complaints and drama but no alternative

And the security suggestion is based on what caused the problem, so the question is " whats the most effective way to ensure if your password is hacked the hacker cant logon to Codex using your account "

Lets keep it simple and focus on constructive ideas because I would like to hear other ideas?

BruceVC

Magister
It turned out that by some miracle I still have access to the junk email address I have used to register here.
This is a good point. Who knows how many people used such address and they will not be able to log in now. Even less people will have accounts after this shit or they will have to create new ones..
Well there is no issue with email if you just use a QR scan on your phone, do you have an issue with the principle of a QR scan?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
because one retard got their account hacked.
Multiple retards got their accounts hacked.

You have to think about this issue from the perspective of people who have been running a forum for over 20 years and are tired of dealing with assholes. Removing delete and edit buttons doesn't remove the issue of having to clean up when someone hacks into somebody's account and causes a lot of trouble. One bad apple spoils the bunch; the other forums Tal runs don't have this asshole problem, so enforcing this measure on those other places is unnecessary (so far).

I'm honestly shocked more Codexers are not attached to the delete functionality. I would think this is the ultimate freedom, as I should have the right to determine whether or not something I post stays on the internet or not.
Yeah but apparently it breaks the forum and creates extra work for them, so you need a solution for that if you want the staff to consider it. Otherwise they hear it as "hiding posts from non-staff isn't enough because I don't trust you" and their interest in helping you drops very quickly

Maybe that script jcd used to replace all his posts with random numbers and then hiding those, but I think that script caused problems too.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Supposed "internationalist" Bester looks more and more like a white supremacist with each day that passes Marx would be proud

I opened a Visa card in Kazakhstan remotely by the way, with SWIFT and all the stuff. For free, too. Your country serves my interests now.
Just vatnik enough to get snooty about enriching Graf's country while impoverishing his own
Not vatnik enough to ween himself off of western culture, media and commerce

Nigga you really are retarded :lol:
I'm not paying taxes there, so the only enrichment going on is you being enriched in butthurt.
Fairly sure the bank you're working with here does
I'm receiving wire transfers from the West, send it as is to my Russian bank account. Useful Kazakh, thanks. No money for you, though.

See my suggestion for the solution.
The main problem here is that people don't want to be forced to use 2FA, and removing a basic functionality like the ability to edit posts from them until they do is still essentially forcing them to use 2FA. Also it would lead to more double/triple posts, which means more work for the mods, which means they're less likely to consider it.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
For the retards in this thread who got it into their heads that the Codex wants to harvest their precious phone numbers for nefarious purposes: we don't get access to your phone number or any other info you use to set up 2FA. Not that the conspiracy theorists here will believe me, but still just spelling this out for the rest of the crowd.
No but someone does. It fucking nails your irl identity to your codex account.

Why is there a fucking boomer doing tech admin for this site? You're not even literate

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Supposed "internationalist" Bester looks more and more like a white supremacist with each day that passes Marx would be proud

I opened a Visa card in Kazakhstan remotely by the way, with SWIFT and all the stuff. For free, too. Your country serves my interests now.
Just vatnik enough to get snooty about enriching Graf's country while impoverishing his own

I'm not paying taxes there, so the only enrichment going on is you being enriched in butthurt.
I'm receiving wire transfers from the West, send it as is to my Russian bank account. Useful Kazakh, thanks. No money for you, though.
My condolences to your lack of knowledge as to how international finance works. Bonus points for using all this crap as a deflection by the way

My condolences to your lack of knowledge as to how international finance works. Bonus points for using all this crap as a deflection by the way
Ah yes banking! Didn't you man the till at the local Natwest once upon a time?

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

No, did you?

No, did you?
I expect I wouldn't be allowed to work at a bank.
Although I thought you said you worked for a bank before getting in on the TEFL lark?

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

No, did you?
I expect I wouldn't be allowed to work at a bank.
Although I thought you said you worked for a bank before getting in on the TEFL lark?
I thought you died

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
My condolences to your lack of knowledge as to how international finance works.
Having some idea of what Kazakhstan is in terms of financial tools, it doesn't surprise me that you consider basic home economics "international finance". Oh yeah, wow, a wire transfer. This is high level stuff.
I earned $45k on NVDA this year, this is called finance, but not even "international".

Your country's best bank's app doesn't display information for wire transfers, I had to call the support to get it, they had to dictate it to me over the phone. Probably because 90% kazakhstan is busy gathering veggies and fruits in the field and wouldn't need to know this stuff. Great source of "international finance advice". I guess you haven't heard that not all banks have wire fees.

Waiting anxiously for your next financial revelations from a people who were literally nomadic half a century ago, hadn't discovered sedentary life (a 9 thousand BC discovery otherwise), or writing. If Russians hadn't invented Kazakh writing in 1940 (LOL), you wouldn't know what to do with these glyphs you're seeing here coming from me. Great stuff, looking for more advice from you.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
My condolences to your lack of knowledge as to how international finance works.
Having some idea of what Kazakhstan is in terms of financial tools, it doesn't surprise me that you consider basic home economics "international finance". Oh yeah, wow, a wire transfer. This is high level stuff.
I earned $45k on NVDA this year, this is called finance, but not even "international".

Your country's best bank's app doesn't display information for wire transfers, I had to call the support to get it, they had to dictate it to me over the phone. Probably because 90% kazakhstan is busy gathering veggies and fruits in the field and wouldn't need to know this stuff. Great source of "international finance advice". I guess you haven't heard that not all banks have wire fees.

Waiting anxiously for your next financial revelations from a people who were literally nomadic half a century ago, hadn't discovered sedentary life (a 9 thousand BC discovery otherwise), or writing. If Russians hadn't established writing rules for Kazakh language in 1940 (LOL), you wouldn't know what to do with these glyphs you're seeing here coming from me. Great stuff, looking for more advice from you.
Paragraph one: wow I do wire transfer, also I can't live without western cash (ofc no vatnik can live without that anglo gravytrain)
Paragraph two: yes I do in fact use the services of a Kazakhstan bank, thus my money enhances the financial stability of the bank (no wire fee tho herpderp), bonus racist tirade about vegetables (idk learn how to grow melons I guess?)
Paragraph three: full blown racist meltdown guess you should go outside and touch grass (if the Chechens don't rape you while you're out there)

EDIT: btw congrats on documenting your money laundering on a gaming forum I'm almost certain this won't come back to bite you in le bottom

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
your money laundering
This level of illiteracy makes me regret I went so harsh on you, it feels like beating up a kid. "The guy's getting money. Must be... what's that word... laundering!" I pay taxes in Russia. There's no double taxation, I'm not a tax resident of Kazakhstan. Poor racism victim. I know it's not your fault, it's socio-economics that made you have the mind of a 9 year old.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
your money laundering
This level of illiteracy makes me regret I went so harsh on you, it feels like beating up a kid. "The guy's getting money. Must be... what's that word... laundering!" I pay taxes in Russia. There's no double taxation, I'm not a tax resident of Kazakhstan. Poor racism victim. I know it's not your fault, it's socio-economics that made you have the mind of a 9 year old.
"socio-economics"

And you call me illiterate.

Regardless, oh so is sanctions evading a term more to your liking? Seems pretty dumb to me for you to document it when you rely so heavily on westoid gibs, but whatever like I said I'm almost certain you won't live to regret it.

Anyway, when that kind, helpful Kazakh person was politely helping you with your international banking fraud, did you similarly drop such skillfully-worded chauvinistic remarks about farming or Kazakh-scripts or whatever the fuck Sputnik i Pogrom rejects like yourself like to hurl at people supposedly inferior people? Hmmmmmmm.

I would say "this is the reason why nobody in the post-soviet sphere likes you" but hey you're just some dumb Belgian retard who couldn't figure out the tax code there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom