Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had to setup 2FA again and now the codes work. I'm puzzled. System time is synced with the phone, network speed seems ok.

Do I need to do this shit every day from now on?
Of course not. You only do one verification every 30 days under normal circumstances. If you're seeing anything else, it's an issue on your end, either due to various addons you're using interfering with normal functionality, blocking cookies, or who knows what else you have installed/misconfigured on your end.

The backup codes are only meant for BACKUP purposes, i.e. if you lose your primary access. They are not meant for normal use.

Unless, ofc, you use a VPN. Then its every time.

I've used Proton and NordVPN and never seen this behaviour.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
This might be a SHOCKING REVELATION but deleting posts is not supposed to fuck up threads.

Let's see here, option 1: fix whatever is wrong with Xenforo, name and shame the retard who got hacked.
Deleting a few posts doesn't mess anything up. Deleting thousands does. The XF devs are aware of the problem but in no rush to fix it because basically "you shouldn't do that anyway". Yeah.
Then the software it's not GDRP compliant and should be reported
There is no GDPR requirement to allow anyone to have all of their posts deleted. The site operator only needs to remove personally identifiable information on request from the account and/or specific posts if the poster points them out and can't edit them on their own, but is under no obligation to go deleting entire post histories of anyone. And even that only goes for EU-based services, which the Codex isn't.
If I want to delete my account because of "right to be forgotten" you will have to to check if my posts contain any data pertaining to my person, this unfeseable with users with tens of thousands of posts.
Only the Codex isn't EU-based, as I noted, so not under any obligation to do anything GDPR-related whatsoever, actually. It's purely a courtesy thing if we do.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's the only thing I can think of.

I put in the 2FA code yesterday, and I had to put it in again today.

I think it's cookie-based. Might be browser plugins you are running.

For reference, I use Codex on Brave browser usually whilst connected to VPN and have never noticed this behaviour. The only notable addon I really run is uBlock Origin.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I request the administrators delete every instance of me saying the word "fag" or "faggot"

This information can be used to personally identify me because of how often I call people faggots.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

For reference, I use Codex on Brave browser usually whilst connected to VPN and have never noticed this behaviour. The only notable addon I really run is uBlock Origin.

I see, I block all cookies by default.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

There's the tick for remembering you for 30 days, did you do it? And I wrote in the post that you quoted that blocking cookies will disrupt it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

I see, I block all cookies by default.

That'll be the cause then I suspect. You might be able to selectively allow the 2fa 30-day cookie. I'm not sure how specific your cookie blocker allows you to be.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Off-topic, but there are certain exceptions and limitations to extra-territorial GDPR effect that I believe the Codex qualifies for, but of course, this would be a legal issue and you can always get two lawyers who'll give you two conflicting opinions.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Off-topic, but there are certain exceptions and limitations to extra-territorial GDPR effect that I believe the Codex qualifies for, but of course, this would be a legal issue and you can always get two lawyers who'll give you two conflicting opinions.

Against my protests, I was made the data protection officer at the organisation I work at.

There are a lot more exceptions and leeway than many seem to think. It's also very difficult to fall foul and actually get punished unless you do something really really stupid and try to cover it up.

GDPR definitely isn't the hammer that everyone online seems to think it is.

Funnily enough, the response I got from the ICO recently when I asked for advice on how to respond to a subject access request that I thought frivolous was, "tell them politely to piss off".

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
This might be a SHOCKING REVELATION but deleting posts is not supposed to fuck up threads.

Let's see here, option 1: fix whatever is wrong with Xenforo, name and shame the retard who got hacked.
Deleting a few posts doesn't mess anything up. Deleting thousands does. The XF devs are aware of the problem but in no rush to fix it because basically "you shouldn't do that anyway". Yeah.

it's a good thing we moved to xenforo 2 to avoid forum-breaking bugs and glitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom