Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
just get this browser extension it's 2 clicks to do the authenticator code thing on PC

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/authenticator/bhghoamapcdpbohphigoooaddinpkbai

but I haven't been able to log in on my phone for months now (too lazy to do the code thing there)
Winauth is best and open source. Supports importing/exporting keys.
https://winauth.github.io/winauth/index.html
It's not only for games - WinAuth supports any service or website that uses the Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator or an RFC 6283 based authenticator.
it's been archived since 2019 tho

Athena

Educated
At least make it so we only have to input the code every 3 months, or better yet, don't ask for any codes as long as I don't clear my cookies. I don't get how asking for it every month makes it "safer" at all. Google forces 2FA and I haven't had to enter any codes since a very long time when using gmail. The current solution is pure boomer tech illiteracy insanity.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
just get this browser extension it's 2 clicks to do the authenticator code thing on PC

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/authenticator/bhghoamapcdpbohphigoooaddinpkbai

but I haven't been able to log in on my phone for months now (too lazy to do the code thing there)
Winauth is best and open source. Supports importing/exporting keys.
https://winauth.github.io/winauth/index.html
It's not only for games - WinAuth supports any service or website that uses the Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator or an RFC 6283 based authenticator.
it's been archived since 2019 tho
Doesn't matter - it's perfect final stable version, technology beyond 2-FA still the same. Does what it is supposed to do - no more bells / whistles needed.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
At least make it so we only have to input the code every 3 months, or better yet, don't ask for any codes as long as I don't clear my cookies. I don't get how asking for it every month makes it "safer" at all. Google forces 2FA and I haven't had to enter any codes since a very long time when using gmail. The current solution is pure boomer tech illiteracy insanity.
because they have no idea what they're doing

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
because they have no idea what they're doing
Unicode isn't even properly supported on the Codex

CHEMS

Scholar
People still talking about this shit?

Come on guys, once a month you copy-paste a code received via an e-mail into RPGcodex and log.

It's neither complicated or particularly inconvenient.

Your whining about it for so fucking long is beyond embarrassing.
I DON'T WANNA!

Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Folks, help me understand something. The codex is supposed to be filled w/ old bastards from the dark age of the series of tubes we call the internet. Surely hardening the login process from Reddit tranny goons via 2FA is a small price to pay?

If you people are having trouble w/ 2FA management, buy a Macintosh or unplug your routers.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
old bastards from the dark age
Yes; you see, a notable characteristic of this demographic is violent opposition to any change whatsoever that upsets their daily routine by making things look, feel or behave differently to what they've been used to in the past. This is not limited to 2FA only, which is an actual small inconvenience, but any other change as well.

This is why anything whatsoever that changes on the Codex gets a 50+ page thread of people complaining about it for a few weeks until the next Horrible Change comes along and they can shift to complaining about that. Never a dull moment on the Codex.

Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yes; you see, a notable characteristic of this demographic is violent opposition to any change whatsoever that upsets their daily routine by making things look, feel or behave differently to what they've been used to in the past. This is not limited to 2FA only, which is an actual small inconvenience, but any other change as well.

This is why anything whatsoever that changes on the Codex gets a 50+ page thread of people complaining about it for a few weeks until the next Horrible Change comes along and they can shift to complaining about that. Never a dull moment on the Codex.
I’d speculate one factor for resistance to the use of 2FA is the loss of plausible deniability when certain codex denizens post about Thai lady boys, then can no longer so easily claim to have been hacked.

Athena

Educated
This is not limited to 2FA only, which is an actual small inconvenience, but any other change as well.
The funny thing is that you don't want to be inconvenienced to find a better solution that doesn't annoy the majority of the user base. Of all the possible implementations of 2FA, this is one of the clumsiest I've seen.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The funny thing is that you don't want to be inconvenienced to find a better solution that doesn't annoy the majority of the user base.
We're using the only implementation that XenForo provides. As far as I know, there are no alternatives available, so no, it's not as easy as "just find a better 2FA".

Athena

Educated
annoy the majority of the user base
You've been here a little over a year and you think you can speak for the majority here?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
I'm just going by what people are posting in this thread. Of course, I can't know what the silent majority thinks because, well, they're silent. Maybe make a poll or something, and don't forget to account for the users who left because of 2FA.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

https://github.com/mikepound/pwned-search/blob/master/pwned.py (download) — Client requires pip install requests first.

I modified the client to receive passwords on stdin and emit colors—
Python:
#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import hashlib
import requests
import re
import sys
import os

C = {
    'header':    '\033[95m',
    'red':       '\033[31m',
    'green':     '\033[32m',
    'cyan':      '\033[36m',
    'okblue':    '\033[94m',
    'okcyan':    '\033[96m',
    'okgreen':   '\033[92m',
    'warn':      '\033[93m',
    'fail':      '\033[91m',
    'end':       '\033[0m',
    'bold':      '\033[1m',
    'unbold':    '\033[22m',
    'underline': '\033[4m',
}

def color(prefix, s):
    return "%s%s%s" % (prefix, s, ENDC)

def check_leak(x):

SHA1 = hashlib.sha1(x.encode('utf-8'))
    hash_string = SHA1.hexdigest().upper()
    prefix = hash_string[0:5]

header = {
        'User-Agent': 'password checker'
    }

url = "https://api.pwnedpasswords.com/range/{}".format(prefix)

req = requests.get(url, headers=header).content.decode('utf-8')
    # split the result twice - each line into key, value
    # pairs of hash-postfixes and the usage count.
    hashes = dict(t.split(":") for t in req.split('\r\n'))

# add the prefix to the key values (hashes) of the hashes dictionary
    hashes = dict((prefix + key, value) for (key, value) in hashes.items())

for item_hash in hashes:
        if item_hash == hash_string:
            print("{warn}warning{end}: password '{red}{bold}{passwd}{end}'"
                  " has appeared in {bold}{count}{unbold} data breaches."
                  #.format(**C))
                  .format(passwd=x, count=hashes[hash_string], **C))
            break

if hash_string != item_hash:
        print("{okgreen}success{end}: password '{bold}{passwd}{unbold}'"
              " hasn't been leaked.".format(passwd=x, **C))

assert len(sys.argv) == 1

strings = []

for x in sys.stdin:
    strings.append(x.strip())

for x in strings:
    check_leak(x)

'''
-References-
https://haveibeenpwned.com/API/v3#PwnedPasswords
https://www.troyhunt.com/ive-just-launched-pwned-passwords-version-2/

'''

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Exactly, that is how you handle software development as well.

1. You get requirements, of course you ignore them, because you know better.
2. Then you hack something together that somewhat works.
3 .Then it goes to Testing
4. Then you complain about all the Bugs that were found and blame the Testers
5. You miss the deadline, fucking QA messing with you again.
6. It get's released nonetheless because it would be to expensive to actually fix the issues that were found
7. you get Enduser feedback that it's hardly working or usability is completely arse
8. You blame the endusers, what fucking nerve they have, they simply do not understand how to correctly use it!
9 After emergency meetings it's finally decided to fix the most important issues
10.Requirements get made

-> BACK TO 1.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The funny thing is that you don't want to be inconvenienced to find a better solution that doesn't annoy the majority of the user base.
We're using the only implementation that XenForo provides. As far as I know, there are no alternatives available, so no, it's not as easy as "just find a better 2FA".
Is there really no way in xenforo to configure the 2FA expiration to be longer than 30 days?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Interesting, googling didn't bring that one up. Way overkill having to install that just to extend 2FA trust days, though. I doubt anyone here would use anything else. Might as well just find where that 30 is defined and change it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom