Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quake II Enhanced Edition from Nightdive?

Semiurge

Cipher
That's the headline. Is it possible that once Nightdive has polished SiN they will turn their eyes towards Quake II - the game with the engine that the original SiN runs on? Fuck that RTX demo, I want Q2 to get the same treatment Quake Enhanced got at least, the inclusion of some curated mod with upscaled textures would be a cherry on top.

Last edited:
RTX was a glorified tech demo yes. Having a proper remaster of Quake 2 in the same terms of Quake 1's, that is, mostly a visual adjustment rather than a full makeover, would be nice. It's probably an easier sell due to the techno-cyberpunk vibes the game has, even if it's boring when compared to the first game in terms of aesthetics alone.

Quake 2 was also my first Quake game and I love it.

Semiurge

Cipher
Quake 2 doesn't need a remaster. There are plenty of source ports out there. Or just play Quake 2 RTX with RTX disabled.

Alien Trilogy needs a KEX engine treatment.

Aliens vs Predator 2 sure could use an engine update, it doesn't even support widescreen by default. The problem: it's in a license-limbo, just like the NOLF- series.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, pointless. Sin was a bitch to run for me last few times i tried it before the "remaster" finally made it playable, but you can probably run Quake 2 on a toaster right next to Doom who cares.

Remaster the shit that's hard to find or play.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol, people without rtx cards are salty, lmao even

430am

Educated
Why the fuck would Quake 2 need a remaster? It holds up extremely well, and probably will forever. In fact if you get a competent team to make something on it's engine today or one of the source ports it's going to be perfectly enjoyable.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, pointless. Sin was a bitch to run for me last few times i tried it before the "remaster" finally made it playable
Not that Sin "remaster", the other Sin "remaster".

What? Isn't there only one? Talking about the Sin Gold port done by Nightdive. Maybe i shouldn't have called it a remaster since nothing was changed except it now runs while my old copy of Sin didn't.

schru

Arcane
Meh, pointless. Sin was a bitch to run for me last few times i tried it before the "remaster" finally made it playable

What? Isn't there only one? Talking about the Sin Gold port done by Nightdive. Maybe i shouldn't have called it a remaster since nothing was changed except it now runs while my old copy of Sin didn't.
Apart from SiN: Gold which you've tried, there's also SiN Reloaded:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1313/SiN_Gold/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632950/SiN_Reloaded/

The old version of Gold worked fine if run in a wrapper like dgVoodoo. I'm not sure if the updated one still has the problem with no option for UI scaling.

As for Quake II, it can look very nice if run at a right resolution for LCD monitors and with the brightness and gamma adjusted a little. I don't think it even looks generic, if one gets over its being a sequel to Quake. It still bears that hall-mark feeling of heavy-metal-inspired setting of hellish, brutalist, industrial concrete and metal crafted by Id's artists. It's actually worth noting how much more ‘whole’ and unique levels made almost entirely with meshes look.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A (non-RTX shiny tech demo) Quake 2 remaster is literally only a matter of time and anyone who says otherwise is huffing some powerful copium. The Quake 1 remaster was quite well put together and had all of the official Quake 1 content in one (free for people who owned the original on steam) package including a brand new episode that was pretty well made no matter what people think of the poz factory that is MachineGames. Quake 2 getting a similar treatment is only a question of when.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
Is Quake reboot possible in new Idtech engine? I'd like that more than remaster.

430am

Educated
The Quake 1 remaster was quite well put together
So are plenty of sourceports, and have been for years from and by the community that plays the game.

had all of the official Quake 1 content in one
Just place all the fucking pak files in the folder, wow, that was hard.

including a brand new episode that was pretty well made
And there's plenty of "brand new episodes" coming out every year on Quaddicted with some masterpieces like Arcade Dimensions, and guess what, they're still made for the sourceports like Quakespasm-spiked and not the bethesda remasters.

Quake 2 getting a similar treatment is only a question of when.
Yeah for the corpo bux and definitely not to iterate on existing developments or improve player experience or convenience. Getting to play the game for an unfamiliar guy is a matter of minutes -- as easy as dragging a file from their bought game on steam or what other DRM platform you have into the kmquake2 folder. Nobody's going to be surprised if a rehash cash grab is announced due to lack of vision and talent to develop something new, it's just that it's obviously completely needless since the game didn't age and already plays just fine on modern systems. In fact it's graphical style and fidelity (and very often code -- Fortune's Run movement code, for example, is directly ripped from CPMA) is already mass emulated by indie and vaporware devs, as well company backed small side projects dubbed with the marketing term "boomer shooter".

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Your wall of text of copium does not change the fact that it's going to happen.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The old version of Gold worked fine if run in a wrapper like dgVoodoo. I'm not sure if the updated one still has the problem with no option for UI scaling.

As for Quake II, it can look very nice if run at a right resolution for LCD monitors and with the brightness and gamma adjusted a little. I don't think it even looks generic, if one gets over its being a sequel to Quake. It still bears that hall-mark feeling of heavy-metal-inspired setting of hellish, brutalist, industrial concrete and metal crafted by Id's artists. It's actually worth noting how much more ‘whole’ and unique levels made almost entirely with meshes look.

I had no idea they were making an actual remake. Personally i like the original just fine i don't need updated graphics i just needed it to work.

The original Gold version never worked for me even with dgVoodoo.

schru

Arcane

I had no idea they were making an actual remake. Personally i like the original just fine i don't need updated graphics i just needed it to work.

The original Gold version never worked for me even with dgVoodoo.
It seems like newer versions of dgVoodoo have some problems with the 3dfx OpenGL renderer. I tried it with version 2.55 and it works, though I couldn't get the screen scaling to work, but I still don't have a graphics card:

Clipboard01.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, the Nightdive version works so i haven't bothered to try again with the old version. Only issue is the UI scaling but there's an hack you can use to fix that. Can't remember how it worked but i have it written somewhere i can look it up if you want to. You need an hex editor and Piexoto.

schru

Arcane
Thanks, but I'll have to see it for myself first. At this point I prefer to use original renderers with wrappers anyway, for things like 16-bit colour with dithering (image manually resized to make it easier to see):

Clipboard03.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom