Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Quake VS. Unreal Tournament

Quake or Unreal Tournament

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Which one do you prefer? I like Quake better because it came out first in video game club.

soulburner

Cipher
As much as I like both games, I think the player movement feels more "natural" and predictable in Quake. It also sounds better.

Gerrard

Arcane
UT because of the mutator system and mods. The scope of modding for UT99 in its hayday was crazy.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Both are top-tier. I agree the movement feels better in Quake, but the ease to change and breadth of options in UT makes it my go to when I just want to play something fun.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Shouldn't this poll be Quake 3 vs. Unreal Tournament instead of just "Quake"? Anyway, I strongly prefer UT99 over Quake 3 as I prefer the slightly slower movement speed of UT and its maps. Maps like "Deck 16", "Morpheus", "Facing Worlds" and "Lava Giant" are top tier and I think Quake 3's maps are slightly worse.

toughasnails

I liek CS 1.6 the most and i can headshot with sniper without scope :cool: what is ur favourite map have u ever headshoot trough wall???

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not surprised that UT has Quake (3) beat. After all, UT is for people who suck at Q3 :smug:

:troll:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They are both awesome, dawg.
Shit, really tough decision.
I'm gonna go with Quake ('cuz Id Software real GANGSTA).

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Not surprised that UT has Quake (3) beat. After all, UT is for people who suck at Q3 :smug:

:troll:
That's fair actually. I was reliving my childhood by playing old shooters last year and I couldn't even hit the bots in quake 3 on easy mode. In Unreal Tournament, I was using the flak cannon to pain the walls with hordes of the buggers.

UT is more satisfying to play though, the gore is still top class.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UT for sure, somehow I could never get into Quake 3, especially since UT had superior maps and weapons mostly.

Also, UT2004 had great Onslaught mode, both games were my favorite online shooters for many years (UT for DM and TDM, UT2k4 for Onslaught), until realistic multiplayer games started coming out, then Red Orchestra and Arma 3 made me completely forget about arcade shooters.

Beans00

Erudite
Should be more specific

Unreal tournament games were competition for quake 3, so this thread should be quake 3 vs unreal tournament.

Unreal 1 was alot like quake 1 even though it was competition for quake 2.

ind33d

Learned
Q3A is one of the best games of all time but UT always had more and better content

UT2k4 feels like a game that shouldn't be as good as it is

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Quake feels great and is a technical masterpiece, but I had much more fun playing UT and UT2k4. Especially the Onslaught mode. Although I liked a Quake mod even more (Team Fortress).

Ash

Arcane
What an easy question. Quake because it has a solid singleplayer. UT has no such thing. Quake 3 vs UT is the more fair comparison, or Unreal 1 vs Quake.

Quake because it actually has a single player campaign :M
Ah, beat me to it.

ind33d

Learned
What an easy question. Quake because it has a solid singleplayer. UT has no such thing. Quake 3 vs UT is the more fair comparison, or Unreal 1 vs Quake.
the point of Unreal Tournament is that the multiplayer and singleplayer are the same thing, it's a tournament...

Ash

Arcane
I know the point, and it's dumb shit decline. that is not an adequate substitute for prestigious singleplayer cigar-smoking gentlemen.
Or better yet, that is not an adequate substitute for lengthy glorious singleplayer provided in the original Unreal. If I bought UT new without knowing anything about it beforehand, I would be highly disappointed, because running around in an arena blasting and nothing else is not the kind of FPS I enjoy. For those that enjoy that, knock yourself out, but don't pretend it is any substitute for real singleplayer.

I only play local multiplayer, with real friends, typically co-op. online is...well it's great, but it is also kind of degenerate. Addictive and yet repetitive at the same time. And these people you're playing with are not important. And those leaderboards/online stats, they're also not important. My online multiplayer days are done a long time ago, and will remain that way unless some real big game changer comes along.

Last edited:

ind33d

Learned
I know the point, and it's dumb shit decline. that is not an adequate substitute for prestigious singleplayer cigar-smoking gentlemen.
Or better yet, that is not an adequate substitute for lengthy glorious singleplayer provided in the original Unreal. If I bought this game without knowing anything about it, I would be highly disappointed, because running around in an arena blasting and nothing else is not the kind of FPS I enjoy.
I actually played UT3's singleplayer content in Co-Op all in one sitting and it was unironically some of the most fun I've had with a game.

Ash

Arcane
Not played UT3.

Soundtrack of UT1 is bangin tho. Van den Bos & Brandon never disappoint. Unreal & UT OST better than NiN & Sonic Mayhem if you ask me, though they're good soundtracks too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom