Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage on.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ahahahahaaaaaa. Rage finally works now that I've installed the latest beta drivers. Sweet. Thing looks great as well. Still, being the guy that I am I feel obliged to play around with the graphic settings. Oh look, now all textures are seemingly gone. Hey, let's fiddle again! Oh wow, now my entire screen goes blue! Time for a restart! Well, what do we have here? Game looks great and plays great!

Then it crashes as soon as I try to save. Or open the option screen. Every single time. Fuck you Rage. Fuck you.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Trash said:
Ahahahahaaaaaa. Rage finally works now that I've installed the latest beta drivers. Sweet. Thing looks great as well. Still, being the guy that I am I feel obliged to play around with the graphic settings. Oh look, now all textures are seemingly gone. Hey, let's fiddle again! Oh wow, now my entire screen goes blue! Time for a restart! Well, what do we have here? Game looks great and plays great!

Then it crashes as soon as I try to save. Or open the option screen. Every single time. Fuck you Rage. Fuck you.
See this is why everyone complains about the graphics and no one talks about the gameplay: even you can get the game working only long enough to see something, but not long enough to actually play the game ;)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This game is everything that is wrong with the PC gaming industry in a nutshell:

1) Graphics before game play.
2) Textbook pop-a-mole consolized shooter.
3) Extreme linearity despite the illusion of open world environments.
4) No more than ten to twelve hours of content.
5) Yet another storied PC developer selling out to the lowest common denominator.

:M

Mortmal

Arcane
Its even worse than that, the graphics arent excatly good with a radeon card, ill try on my new pc with a nvidia this weekend, but right now its unacceptable, it goes from texture popping 2 sec too late, too being unable to start at all that with tjhe 11.10 beta drivers. I dont think i remember having that much trouble with graphics drivers in all my gaming history.I have not even touched the gameplay yet !
No good rts this year, no rpg, the only exclusive pc title i played this year was witcher 2 an arpg and this is not for long xbox port incoming, deus ex run as well on console,every year we say that but it really feels like pc gaming is dead.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I love Quake Wars, but its shitty OpenGL performance (that was never fixed) was a strong foreshadowing of how videocard makers let OpenGL support rot over the years in absence of Carmack's push.

Multi-headed Cow

Sounds like the glorious PC gaming master race snubbed it pretty hard.

Clearly this means PC gaming is dead, best stop making PC version of video games.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oriental European said:
Rage (X360) is this week’s top debut, as it debuted at number three with sales of 405,000. The PlayStation 3 version debuted at number eight with sales of 244,000. The PC version debuted at number 15 with sales of 59,000. The game launched in all three regions worldwide.
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88192/w ... p-nba-2k12
Well fuck. Didn't expect that.

Its obvious that is fault of rampart pirating on PC and in no way connected with minor issues that Rage had with few vocal players. Its time to make even better DRM, maybe not only having to be constantly connected to the net but also force you to enter serial code every time you enter different location.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not to defend Rage or anything but
a) you are using VGChartz. VGChartz.
b) even if it were retail-accurate, it doesn't count digital sales.

UserNamer

Cipher
this game sounds like a spectacular failure.

And am I wrong or did they spend 7 years to make this game about slow walking in corridors? Doom 3 was released in 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

How much did it took to id software to make classics like doom or quake? How much does Carmack requires to develop a new space rocket? (six months if I'm not mistaken).

This is a sad, spectacular failure and it is all id software's fault.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
UserNamer said:
this game sounds like a spectacular failure.

And am I wrong or did they spend 7 years to make this game about slow walking in corridors? Doom 3 was released in 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

How much did it took to id software to make classics like doom or quake? How much does Carmack requires to develop a new space rocket? (six months if I'm not mistaken).

This is a sad, spectacular failure and it is all id software's fault.

I played it a little bit and at least the gunplay felt pretty satisfying. More so than say, Gears of War. There's a good sense of impact when you hit the monsters, it's a bit faster than other recent FPS, etc. I have no idea for how long it would be fun, though, and the severe lack of secret areas and alternative paths (as with all other FPS today) is frustrating.

Regdar

Arcane
Morgoth said:
People claiming Rage is a failure either haven't played it or are too stupid to run it properly.

I'd say Rage is definitely better than Doom 3 (id's worst game), and better than most of these big FPS IPs out there.

:what: the fuck

And how long have you been playing it? Not more than 15 minutes I'd wager. You should read some of the posts in this thread that describe the gameplay, save yourself some "FFFUUU-" moments later on.

And it's still a failure graphics-wise, because of the shitty low-res textures.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Regdar said:
And how long have you been playing it? Not more than 15 minutes I'd wager. You should read some of the posts in this thread that describe the gameplay, save yourself some "FFFUUU-" moments later on.

Reached Wellspring and the game's only getting better from there.

As for low-res textures: I don't experience those. I have Texture cache set on Large and it looks very pretty overall.

Regdar

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Regdar said:

Reached Wellspring and the game's only getting better from there.

As for low-res textures: I don't experience those. I have Texture cache set on Large and it looks very pretty overall.

Prepare for the gameplay to take a dive quality-wise, and soon.

I also played with 8K textures even before the patch. Ever look at the face of a street ad or a vending machine?

SoupNazi

Yeah - I too normally play FPSs that way, i.e. stopping at every corner to check out the textures. I don't jolt through the (p. dynamic) game while shooting the enemies and dodging bullets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom