Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Raise hand if PC elitist

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I'm a PC elitist, although not in the same way you are.

I believe that all the best RPGs and Turn Based Strategy games are on the PC.

I believe that PC games are(were) designed with a different and better mindset than console games. More detail, more numbers to crunch, less anime influences.

However I will play console strategy RPGs if I can get ahold of them and if I don't have a better PC game to play instead (having played all the PC games in the genres I like in english, that's often).

I'd be reluctant to actually pay for console turn based strategy games because they usually have poor difficulty curves and aren't worth playing for long. But I'll give em a chance just due to the lack of good PC titles in the genres I like.

My ideal game would be impossible on a console without a mouse and keyboard. (and would pretty much only appeal to eastern europeans anyway (and the few people outside eastern europe who like squad based tactical games).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Darth Slaughter said:
PC... because I can play all PC games, old and new, and old console games... and eventually, the new ones will become old and be also playable.

I also like the PC because it's aways "dying", while the console are aways on wars, and they get dead till the next generation.

The PC is a sneaker... while every console are fighting, the PC goes along its way. certaily, some realeases are console exclusives, but eventually, as I said, they'll come to the PC. PC exclusives, although rare, remain exclusives.

i'm not discussing the quality of pc games over consoles, because the tendency right now is to do everything the same. Pc and console games today are almost the same thing. And crapy games will aways be a majority, and the really good games will appear once in two years. as it has aways been.
o/

Redeye

Arcane
amfstqf3.png

aleph

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Better games"

*cough* POR2 *cough*

you do not mention POR2 in polite company or anywhere else, ever. Better this abomination is forgotten.

Redeye

Arcane
aleph said:
you do not mention POR2 in polite company or anywhere else, ever. Better this abomination is forgotten.

Like the stuff on your Hard Drive after uninstalling PoR2.

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
I guess I'd consider myself a PC elitist if only for the fact that the current generation of consoles is terrible. The XBOX is a poorly designed piece of crap with hardware problems, the PS3 shot itself in the foot because it just HAD TO HAVE that $300 Blu-Ray player and the Wii's multiplayer capabilities are mind-bogglingly retarded.

obamasnob.gif

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
I would never stoop to elitist behaviour of any kind. :cool:

That said, I prefer playing games on the PC, mostly because the mouse and keyboard combination is superiour under most circumstances and in FPS games in particular.

That said, I do own a 360 and will buy any console if there is an exclusive game for it that demands to be played. Since most games are multi platform nowadays, I'm not sure if I'll get around to buying the PS3. Also, since I could use the excersise, I'm interested in the Wii Fit, but only if and when it gets a real game... Imagine a version of Oblivion where you have to jog for real to move your game character through the wilderness...

Redeye

Arcane
Grandpa Gamer said:
...Imagine a version of Oblivion where you have to jog for real to move your game character through the wilderness...

With VR gloves GTA would be great- you would have to actually hotwire cars "for reals". Or in Thief- lockpicking/etc.

Or some version of CounterStrike/America's Army/etc. with booby traps, mines, mortars, etc. that you would have to virually manipulate using the real procedures.

Tie all of that together into a game called "The City Sleeps".

That would make an awesome MMO.

St. Toxic

Arcane
What's the fucking point anyway? Most of the mainstream PC developers are either casting casual glances at the console supartitles and shoving their games full of consolized shit or, better yet, throwing themselves at the console market with every chance they get, willingly ready to leave PC's for good IF GOD IS WILLING! At the same time, consoles are no longer "gaming hardware" but have become, much like the PC, media hardware, meaning that they crash and burn and have buggy firmware and connect to servers and get viruses and are basically at the stage PC's were at 10 years ago, only the games have fancier pixel shaderz. The bridge between the platforms, while an unstable son of a bitch, has already been built, and PC elitism is down to piracy, forum posting and amateur media development for the Third Reich equivalent of shits and giggles. Well, Sieeeeeeeeg -- Heeeeeil, motherfuckers.

Having said that, I'm blaming the consoles for the upcoming One-Platform-Order, and also maybe the Zionists, so I guess I'm a total PC nazi in the end eh? :M

MetalCraze

Arcane
28-1126a.jpg

consoletards are too ignorant to understand that genetically, PC gamers are stronger and healthier than all the other sub-groups in europe, and even most of the world

ixg

Erudite
I've never owned a console
I think that qualifies me as a pc snob

PorkaMorka

Arcane
St. Toxic said:
PC elitism is down to piracy, forum posting and amateur media development for the Third Reich equivalent of shits and giggles. Well, Sieeeeeeeeg -- Heeeeeil, motherfuckers.

Don't forget nostalgia.

Because let's be honest, gaming has changed and modern consolized games don't offer certain gameplay styles which were available in the past.

While I definitely prefer PC gaming, I like the social aspects of consoles (sitting on a couch with some buddies and beer playing coop games), and the action/combat/platformer games (Ninja Gaiden or God of War series, for instance). Split screen co op is pretty fun as well, making ok games into pretty fun times, like Gears of War, Halo 3, Army of Two, though that last one was hella shitty even with a buddy, and no amount of co op can ever redeem Too Human. I think that game is actually worse than Hellgate London, and the devs apparently think Too Human is as good as they could have made it.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
ixg said:
I've never owned a console
I think that qualifies me as a pc snob

The closest I've ever gotten was a Commodore Vic 20. Does that disqualify me? I would play console games if there were actually any good ones that I could play on my PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom