Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Raise hand if PC elitist

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So who all here are self-acknowledged PC elitists? The kind who scoff at console games, and would never think of touching them. :D

I used to be a big PS2 player a few years ago, but eventually I stopped. Used to be big on God Of War, but I think a lot of console games were too easy and hand-holding so it all started getting very boring. Now, for a good while, I didn't really subscribe to this label of being PC elitist. I did enjoy certain console games, and I thought they were great, so I wouldn't want to say that I didn't like them.

But by now, it's come to a point where my mind filters out any news or mentions of console gaming. Somebody mentions a console game, I don't even want to hear about it. They don't interest me one bit. I find that whenever I go to any gaming website, I instantly press the PC gaming section, because I want to weed out all that mundane console stuff. Whenever I even consider getting a console, I just can't help thinking it would be a waste of money since much of the stuff is on PC anyway, if it's worthwhile at all.

And even after I was mostly done with consoles, I thought it was a little too jaded to say that PC gaming is superior to console gaming. But who am I kidding? Of course it is. So many great classics, available as free-ware download at any point of time. And beyond that, on the shooter scene, you have STALKER, Crysis, CoD 4, and Bioshock on the PC, and only CoD4 and Bioshock on the consoles. That's quite some range. And as far as RPGs go, we have MotB and SoZ. They have...Mass Effect? Which is also available on PC anyway! :twisted:

So I reckon that yeah, I am very much indeed a PC elitist, and I don't find any issue with it. :wink:

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Consoles suck when it comes to my 3 favorite genres: RPG, FPS, and strategy. So yeah, I guess I might be PC elitist too.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
My console is hooked up to my big tv and surround sound. It is also close to the couch. That is the only reason I play console stuff more.

Mareus

Magister
Wyrmlord, you will be a PC elitist when you finish Fallout 1 and 2. Until then you are just a wannabe. As for me, I don't mind the consoles if they manage to deliver a good game. Some of the best games I have ever played came from consoles. I will mention just few, although I know most people here hate them.

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy 6
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Dino Crisis
6. Metal Gear Solid 1
7. Kotor (I think it was on consoles first and if it wasn't it still had that console feel)
8. Kingdom Hearts, etc..

Basically, I too prefer PC gaming, but I don't mind a good console game once in a while. It adds to diversity, because I wouldn't be able to play just pure RPGs. Every now and then I need some refreshment of someting different.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It's perfectly possible to use a HDTV as a monitor. And certain PC games allow you to attach a 360 controller to the PC and play with them. So there you have it. A PC can do everything a console can do. :p

Oh and Mareus, KotOR had simultaneous development for PC and consoles.

Destroid

Arcane
I game almost exclusively on pc, I once owned an xbox but I only played fighters and dynasty warriors on it.

I play a 360 at a mates place tho, armored core and soul calibur mostly.

Hory

Erudite
I think the PC is the obvious choice if you have higher standards. Better games, better control and even better graphics and sound. This is so clear to me that I find any debate between console vs PC laughable.

On the other hand, even the "better" games of PC are crap nowadays. There are probably SOME console-only games worth playing. I wish someone with experience (and the right kind of taste) would make a list. The one from Mareus sucks.

DraQ

Arcane
denizsi said:
Sieg Heil,, you mean
Sieg fail?
:wink:

aron searle said:
GTA / Beer / Couch

Consoles have their use.
Wizardry 8 / Beer / Comfy armchair

I could have put Frontier, or Morrowind here, but we all know, how well TB and relatively straightforward Wiz8 plays with beer in hand.

I also don't see why a person with HDTV and cordless mouse and board couldn't play PC games while sitting on the couch, beer in hand.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I haven't been following the console scene, but if we are to make a list, we could look at Metacritic, and see what were the top rated console games of 2007 (this is weeding out the ones already on PC).

Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil IV
Zack And Wicki
Guitar Hero III
Rock Band
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Ratchet And Clank
God of War II
Persona 3

This was from all platforms. And it's a pathetic list compared to the stuff out for the PC only. IMO. I mean, I wouldn't even touch all the Japanese stuff, or those party games. I am not into platformers much these days. So that leaves...God Of War 2. The console scene is worse than I thought.

But yeah, we should listen to someone with the experience and right kind of taste. As far as critical reception goes, the above shows very bad range.

Mareus

Magister
Hory said:
I think the PC is the obvious choice if you have higher standards. Better games, better control and even better graphics and sound. This is so clear to me that I find any debate between console vs PC laughable.

On the other hand, even the "better" games of PC are crap nowadays. There are probably SOME console-only games worth playing. I wish someone with experience (and the right kind of taste) would make a list. The one from Mareus sucks.

I wish I knew of better console games than I mentioned, but I really think they are the pinnacle of console gaming. And they are not bad games.

Mareus

Magister
GeneralSamov said:
Well, the Zelda series certainly deserves being mentioned, as well as Metal Gear (2d - the non solid).

Indeed. I liked Ocarina of Time, although Link to Past was better in my opinion. There is also Majora's Mask, but the beginning sucked big time because of time limit which makes you run around like a mad man searching for whatever you have to do.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*Raises hand*
Even though there are a plethora of shitty games and worthless casual time-wasters, PC games are generally much more to my liking than any console game released so far.

J1M

Arcane
I have a wii but it's in storage because I'm currently between girlfriends. Consoles: for when a girl demands mindless entertainment and you don't want to watch a chick flick.

Black_Willow

Arcane
28-1126a.jpg

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I can't be bothered searching for or uploading David's Oath of the Horatii, but if you could all just imagine it's here and laugh at my obvious wit, that'd be great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom