Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Thalstarion

Educated
Vision of Mana which by all means seems a very good classic JRPG
Really? Seemed like a very generic and dull action rpg to me. Mash buttons, walk from cutscene to cutscene, do not engage braincells.
Terrible character designs as well, at least for the 'men'.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
banner.png

If you are unfortunate enough to have played one of my latest games but never got around to playing Quester, now you can get it with an additional 10% discount with a QUESTER + Dragon Ruins bundle.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2929540/announcements/detail/6358608587014677884

Special thanks to 680x0 for getting me addicted to Quester back then. It seriously needs its own thread...

Lyre Mors

Arcane
If you are unfortunate enough to have played one of my latest games but never got around to playing Quester, now you can get it with an additional 10% discount with a QUESTER + Dragon Ruins bundle.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2929540/announcements/detail/6358608587014677884

Special thanks to @680x0 for getting me addicted to Quester back then. It seriously needs its own thread...
Are the maps randomly generated in Quester? That's the impression I got when I tried it out a year or so ago, so it put me off and I refunded. If I can get a confirmation it's all handcrafted, I'd gladly give it another shot.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Special thanks to @680x0 for getting me addicted to Quester back then. It seriously needs its own thread...
Are the maps randomly generated in Quester? That's the impression I got when I tried it out a year or so ago, so it put me off and I refunded. If I can get a confirmation it's all handcrafted, I'd gladly give it another shot.
It's all handcrafted.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe Squeenix will come to a realization that trying to make games for modern western audience with AAAA budget doesn't work and actually make game people want to buy

And stop cashing down and milking FF 7 for once (altho I enjoy the fanfic multiverse nature of the remakes)

And maybe PS5 exclusive is not the way either

911 Jumper

Learned
Maybe Squeenix will come to a realization that trying to make games for modern western audience with AAAA budget doesn't work and actually make game people want to buy

And stop cashing down and milking FF 7 for once (altho I enjoy the fanfic multiverse nature of the remakes)

I don't think they're ever going attempt a remake project on the scale of FF7R again. From day one, I thought it was a waste of time and resources. A sprawling RPG needs to be self contained and complete on day one. Splitting it into multiple parts several years apart was a poor decision.

911 Jumper

Learned
Tetsuya Nomura says he’s considering retirement, and concluding Kingdom Hearts’ story
Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy 7 Remake director Tetsuya Nomura has said that he’s considering retirement, and that he’s planning to bring the Kingdom Hearts series to an end.

Nomura, who turns 54 next month, spoke to YoungJump about his career and future plans. When asked about his plans for the future of the Kingdom Hearts series, Nomura laughed and said, “I only have a few years left until I retire, I have to decide whether to retire first or finish the series first.”

He added: “I’m making Kingdom Hearts 4 now with the intention of it being a story that I will complete.”

Kingdom Hearts 4 was announced during a Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary event in 2022. Little detail has been shared since then.

According to publisher Square Enix, Kingdom Hearts 4 will mark the beginning of an “epic new storyline” titled the ‘Lost Master Arc.’ This seems to contradict Nomura’s statement about his imminent retirement, especially as he’s also handling the ongoing Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy.

In the announcement trailer, players were introduced to Quadratum, which Square Enix described as “a large, expansive city set in a gorgeous, realistic world unlike anything ever seen before in the Kingdom Hearts series.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Nomura commented on this new setting.

“I like worlds that are slightly different from “possible” reality, rather than ones that are too false. It’s the same with movies, but if the world is too fantasy based I can’t really get into it.

“So I like settings that are like based in Shibuya but not the real Shibuya. Rather than complete fantasy, I think that “unrealistic within reality” fits the fantasy view well.”
Source: VGC

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't think they're ever going attempt a remake project on the scale of FF7R again. From day one, I thought it was a waste of time and resources. A sprawling RPG needs to be self contained and complete on day one. Splitting it into multiple parts several years apart was a poor decision.

To be fair Kiseki made a series out of actual series games. The new Yakuza series is also find good enough business model (arguably not the same case as Yakuza 7 plot is actuall self contained).

That being said Kiseki probably cost pennies vs what they splurged for one AAA FF game.

911 Jumper

Learned
Kingdom Hearts 4 Will be a “Reset” for the Franchise, Director Says

The Kingdom Hearts franchise has been notoriously difficult for newcomers to try to get into for as long as anyone can remember, thanks in no small part to the fact that even the most obscure spinoffs end up being crucial to the series’ overarching story. With the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 4, however, it seems like Square Enix is trying to change that.

Speaking recently with Japanese outlet Young Jump, creative director and series mastermind Tetsuya Nomura explained that Kingdom Hearts 4 (as well as mobile title Kingdom Hearts: Missing Link) is being designed as a “reset” that will be easier for new players to get into.

“I do think of Missing Link and 4 as a reset,” Nomura said (via GamesRadar). “I wanted to end it with 3, or rather reset it, so I appointed new writers and even made a new logo to make it easier for new people to get into it.”

Nomura went on to say that the action RPG will still serve as a follow-up to Kingdom Hearts 3, but though existing fans will find the connective tissue, he says the hope is that more new players will be able to hop in this time.

“For those who know how Kingdom Hearts 3 ends, the reason why Sora ends up like that in the ending is because we wanted to reset the story in a way,” Nomura said (via @aitaikimochi on Twitter). “This should make it even easier for newcomers to join the story starting from Kingdom Hearts 4. Fans of the Kingdom Hearts series will also be able to feel like, ‘oh so it’s THIS’, but we’re making this game with the hopes that new players can enjoy it as well.”

Kingdom Hearts 4 was announced in 2022, though details on it have been scarce since then. Leaks have previously claimed that it is targeting a 2025 release.
Source: Gaming Bolt

911 Jumper

Learned
More from Nomura's recent interview with the Japanese manga magazine Young Jump.

Tetsuya Nomura makes sure his protagonists look attractive because people don’t want to look ugly in the game world too
When asked about why his protagonist designs are always handsome, especially when compared to your standard shonen manga lead (e.g. FF7’s Cloud Strife vs. Luffy from One Piece), Nomura explains the roots of his design philosophy. “When I was in high school, a classmate was playing a game where the main character wasn’t good looking. They said, “Why do I have to be ugly in the game world too?” which really left a strong impression on me.” This experience resonated with Nomura so much that when it came to designing his own characters, he focused on making it so that players could look cool and attractive in-game.
There's more at the link:
Source: Automaton

Elttharion

Learned
Kingdom Hearts 4 Will be a “Reset” for the Franchise, Director Says

The Kingdom Hearts franchise has been notoriously difficult for newcomers to try to get into for as long as anyone can remember, thanks in no small part to the fact that even the most obscure spinoffs end up being crucial to the series’ overarching story. With the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 4, however, it seems like Square Enix is trying to change that.

Speaking recently with Japanese outlet Young Jump, creative director and series mastermind Tetsuya Nomura explained that Kingdom Hearts 4 (as well as mobile title Kingdom Hearts: Missing Link) is being designed as a “reset” that will be easier for new players to get into.

“I do think of Missing Link and 4 as a reset,” Nomura said (via GamesRadar). “I wanted to end it with 3, or rather reset it, so I appointed new writers and even made a new logo to make it easier for new people to get into it.”

Nomura went on to say that the action RPG will still serve as a follow-up to Kingdom Hearts 3, but though existing fans will find the connective tissue, he says the hope is that more new players will be able to hop in this time.

“For those who know how Kingdom Hearts 3 ends, the reason why Sora ends up like that in the ending is because we wanted to reset the story in a way,” Nomura said (via @aitaikimochi on Twitter). “This should make it even easier for newcomers to join the story starting from Kingdom Hearts 4. Fans of the Kingdom Hearts series will also be able to feel like, ‘oh so it’s THIS’, but we’re making this game with the hopes that new players can enjoy it as well.”

Kingdom Hearts 4 was announced in 2022, though details on it have been scarce since then. Leaks have previously claimed that it is targeting a 2025 release.
Source: Gaming Bolt
I wish it was an end to the franchise too.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Cladun is actually pretty fun. The character/team building mechanics are very original and the lootwhoring is satisfying. Shame it probably won't hit PC for like 3 years, if ever. Legacista never did.

911 Jumper

Learned
Yoshi-P Thinks a Final Fantasy 9 Remake Would Take More Than One Game
"Of course, I do know there are requests for Final Fantasy IX to be made, but when you think about Final Fantasy IX, it’s a game with huge volume," Yoshida says. "When you think about all of that volume, I wonder if it’s possible to remake that as a single title. It’s a difficult one. It is a tough question."

Yoshida seems to be suggesting that a potential remake could go the direction of Final Fantasy VII Remake, which is in the middle of a planned trilogy. Fans have long had mixed feelings about splitting it into multiple parts, which offers the opportunity to add plenty of new elements, but also slows the pacing. As it stands, the third part of the trilogy doesn't figure to be out until 2026 at the earliest.

Yoshida is right about Final Fantasy IX being a big game. It's absolutely loaded with sidequests, minigames, and other content, and it's set in a very large world. Reproducing all of that material won't be easy for any development team that takes on a remake.
Source: IGN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom