Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Experience Inc. announced 3 new RPGs in Japan.

An extended edition of Stranger of Sword City for PS Vita, due out on July 21. New dungeons, new classes, new events, new additions to the combat system, re-balance and other improvements. A way to piss off western players. :eek:

L
O
L

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steamy NepNep VII coming this Summer: http://gematsu.com/2016/05/megadimension-neptunia-vii-coming-pc-via-steam-summer

Megadimension Neptunia VII is coming to PC via Steam this summer, Idea Factory International announced.

The game, initially launched for PlayStation 4 in February, includes all the features of the original release, including new characters, three worlds to save and three stories to play, a new transformation mode, an updated battle system, and a new dungeon mini-game. The PC version also adds options to run the game at 60 frames per second, to use the original Japanese voice-overs, and will feature bundles of the original downloadable content to purchase.

flyingjohn

Arcane
It is amazing that a japanese company is actually competent at releasing pc ports.(not to mention they are all solid ports and are getting quick releases without compromising quality).
Shame the games have too much fan service and weaboo in them to be enjoyable.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, they're definitely one of the smarter Japanese companies out there when it comes to tapping into the PC market, and I'm sure their ports sell well enough to be reasonably profitable.

There's bound to be oversaturation at some point though. I mean, Neptunia VII already? They're making these too fast.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think China is becoming a big fish here. After Steam introduced Renminbi Chinese players increased remarkably across Steam. This is rather prominent in Japanese/Anime games when you look at Steam Spy geography data.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It is amazing that a japanese company is actually competent at releasing pc ports.(not to mention they are all solid ports and are getting quick releases without compromising quality).
Shame the games have too much fan service and weaboo in them to be enjoyable.

?

Yeah, they're definitely one of the smarter Japanese companies out there when it comes to tapping into the PC market, and I'm sure their ports sell well enough to be reasonably profitable.

There's bound to be oversaturation at some point though. I mean, Neptunia VII already? They're making these too fast.

There aren't 7 mainline Nep games. The name is a joke. There's 4 mainline Nep games, each released about 2 years apart from each other.

Last edited:

LJ40

Cipher
Yeah they gave it a title with a double meaning I guess.

It's the sequel to Victory (making it V-II) and if you count the side games, it actually is the seventh. Or, it was when it originally released in Japan anyway. Looks like they're up to nine now, twelve counting remakes.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, Squeenix brings even an F2P mobile game to Steam. Heavenstrike Rivals: http://store.steampowered.com/app/441020/

ss_9d7e0e73d64b4ea2ba717a070ba10e2100a7f542.600x338.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry if old:
Ys VIII (Vita) gameplay

DQ Heroes II multiplayer:

Caligula gameplay:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, too many moonrunes. I only care if it's in English, dammit. The first two are probably gonna be localized, but Furyu (the company behind the third game) seems to only have like 1-2 games localized at all.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it has some potential, but there is a lack of polish. Choppy animations, boring Persona setting, crappy music, etc.

The combat seems interesting. It's like a weird RTWP (?) version of Valkyrie Profile.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not sure if it's worth it's own thread (can't even find one) because no Amiga players showed any interest in new title/remake(?)

New Shadow of the Beast is out, only on PS4 (hence posting in this thread).
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shadow-of-the-beast

Wrong thread? Shadow of the Beast is neither japanese nor is it an RPG. Anyway, it's 15€. I'll probably buy it since I'm a fan of the original trilogy. I'll wait for some reviews first though to see if it's actually an adventure game or if it's just a lame 2D God of War-esque western action game that the trailers have made it out to be.

HotSnack

Cipher
http://nichegamer.com/2016/05/20/se...s-to-bring-7th-dragon-iii-code-vfd-to-europe/

Sega Europe has announced they currently have “no plans” to bring the upcoming Nintendo 3DS RPG 7th Dragon III Code: VFD to Europe.

“Right now there are no plans to bring 7th Dragon III Code: VFD to Europe,” said a Sega Europe representative in the above video.

The Sega Europe rep did make a note in saying they’re aware of fans wanting the game in Europe, and they’re “looking to see if it’s something we can make happen.”

While this bit of news predates today’s news that Sega is “very interested” in bringing Atlus games (Editor’s Note: Atlus did not develop 7th Dragon III Code: VFD) to Europe, it makes you wonder how many localized games their European publishing arm will put out in the future.

7th Dragon III: Code VFD is set to release on July 12th in North America.

http://nichegamer.com/2016/05/20/sega-is-very-interested-in-bringing-atlus-games-to-europe/

Following the purchasing of Atlus by Sega (via their parent company) and the following breaking of ties with Atlus’ former European distributor NIS America, we’ve learned (via MCV) that Sega is ramping up to probably start handling European publishing duties for Atlus.

“We’re very interested in bringing all of the group’s Japanese content not just to the West, but to Europe in particular,” SVP of commercial publishing John Clark said.

“We are always trying to find a way. And that’s an on-going process. That’s something we are continually assessing and talking to and if there are really strong opportunities to support the Japanese content in Europe, we’ll do it.”

This is exciting news, considering Sega is now officially handling publishing duties for Atlus games in North America.

Whenever Sega makes the announcement, this will probably coincide with the announcement that Persona 5 is coming to Europe – the question is when.

Persona 5 is set for a September 15th release in Japan, while a North American release date is coming at this year’s E3.

Sega pls. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom