Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This Grandia 2 release is supposed to be based the DC version.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lab Zero (Skullgirls devs now working on Indivisble which has Valkyire Profile combat and metroidvania elements) have teamed up with 505 games, publishers of PayDay 2, How to Survive, Adrift, ABZU.

About the Spikchunsoft/Tri-Ace Valkyrie Profile spiritual successor:
Producer: Yuichiro Saito
R&D Lead Programmer: Yoshiharu Gotanda
Director & Scenario: Masaki Norimoto
Music: Motoi Sakuraba
Character Design: Taro Mino
Developer: tri-Ace
Publisher: Spike Chunsoft

Story:

The game is set in an alien world known Protolexa (?), which is made up of a large circular land mass surrounding a huge central structure. It seems to be some sort of afterlife. The game centers around 12 people from modern Tokyo who have been caught up in an explosion and have died. But because they possessed fragments of an evil deity within them, they were transported to this strange new world instead, where they are drawn into a conflict between the gods.

The main character is Ryo Kujo (VA: Ryota Osaka), a guy from a well to do family who is engaged to Ranze Kamikawa (VA: Aya Endo) in an arranged marriage. Ranze is from a respected family who has high expectations of her, but when she is caught in the explosion with Ryo, her true nature emerges when faced with death. Mayura (VA: Ai Kayano) is another girl who Ryo will meet at Protolexa, and like him she has white hair. Another character introduced is Tokihisa (VA: Tetsuya Kakihara) who at first glance looks to be a punk with a bad attitude, but is someone who thinks of his companions.

The story in the game is about how these characters react to the situation they've been put into and not a traditional tale of good versus evil.

Gameplay:

Like Valkyrie Profile, it is a sideview RPG where towns, dungeons, and battles are viewed from the side. There will be platforming actions in dungeons and fields like dashing and jumping, and enemy encounters are visible. Players can gain an advantage in battle by striking at the visible enemies first.

The battles are also similar to VP where parties comprise of 4 characters and their attacks are bound to the face buttons on the controller. Executing good combos will increase the rating players get in a battle, which will result in better item drop rates. The battle system is called "Active Chain Battle". The L/R buttons are also used to rotate the row order of the party, and it is known as the "Active Rotation" system. The 12 characters in the game also each have a unique special attack type known as "Demon's Greed" where they unleash the power of the evil deity within themselves.

There will be multiple endings in the game, and these will depend on which characters the player decides to send back to Earth over the course of the game. The characters all seek to return back to their previous lives, but to do so they have to influence the balance of power in the war between the gods as a third force.

The evil power the characters have within them can also be used in a "Greed Mode" to interact with dungeon gimmicks. There will be tons of optional content, an extra dungeon post-game, and an online boss time attack feature. The base game is expected to take around 40-50 hours to complete.

The game is currently 75% complete.

Goddamn, the PS4 has lots of games I want now.

Tales of Berseria
I might cancel my Zestiria PS3 pre-order and go with the PS4 version
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest heroes 2
NieR 2
Persona 5
Final Fantasy XV (when it hits $15)
Exist Archive -The Other Side of the Sky
Project Setsuna, whatever that turns out to be

And some other games I have forgotten. It's good to be a desu desu guy.

Last but not least, the Nintendo 3DS game Legend of Legacy will get a physical release in Europe thanks to NISA. Wtf is this game? A spiritual successor to the SaGa games.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Doujin RPG Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler- is coming to released on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/383960/

ss_497b443878d1e99263e766df31712f4f1fabd26b.600x338.jpg

"Adoracute," I can live with. But Esty? Lol.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Fairy Fencer F will hit Steam on August 4th.

LOS ANGELES, CA., July 30, 2015 – Grab a sword and fight for your fate! Fairy Fencer F™ is coming to Steam on August 4! Originally available on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, this RPG is now getting the 1080p treatment so you can Fairize with flair. Two free DLCs will also be made available at launch – “Beginner’s Pack” and “Secrets of Shukesoo's Tower Pack” – to aid you in your quest to save the world.

Story
Long ago, a war was waged between the Vile God and the Goddess. Both forces were equally matched, and sealed each other into another world using a special weapon imbued with their powers. And so, time passed. The weapons that the Goddess and the Vile God left were called "Furies," and those who
used them were called "Fencers.“ Furies were rumored to grant any wish to those who collected them all, and because of those rumors, Fencers were constantly in battle against each other to collect the Furies. By chance, a young man named Fang came to save a girl named Tiara, who turned out to be a
Fencer. From that day forward, Fang found himself an important part of the battle between the Vile God and the Goddess.

Key Features
More Flash & Flair!
The world of Fencers and fairies gets updated with a 1080p graphic overhaul! Fairizing never looked so good.

Really Reluctant Hero
With a hero more interested in his next meal and a fairy partner who will have none of it, this saving-the-world narrative is injected with oodles of madcap humor!

High Tension!
Increase the Tension gauge in battle by dealing and receiving damage. The higher it is, the more damage you’ll dish. Once it’s high enough, you’ll be able to Fairize – combining with your fairy to create a super-powerful form!

Fairy’s Fate
Find fairies to join you in your quest – only they can grant you special abilities, and by leveling them up you’ll also increase your effect radius in…

World-Shaping!
Pull Furies from the Goddess and Vile God and place your fairies in them. You can then stab those Furies into the world map for new effects in nearby dungeons like EXP boosts or enemy changes - be careful though, because not all effects are good!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Finally ;) Too bad that the "new and improved" version for consoles it being released soon as well.
Yeah, I will be waiting for that one if the PC version doesn't get the improvements. On the other hand, the game will be "50% off" at release.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I don't own any console (aside from 3DS if that counts), so I'm looking forward to the PC version anyway, even if it lacks the improvements.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Teaser trailer for Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky by Tri-Ace and Spike Chunsoft. Looks like Valkyrie Profile 2.0. Just watch the trailer and you will understand. Characters look like crap but animations seem good. Backgrounds look great.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Squeenix should focus less on consoles -- and more on mobile/browser? http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/250644/Square_Enix_profits_rise_despite_console_slow_down.php

Final Fantasy publisher Square Enix today announced its financial results for the quarter ended June 30, posting a 12 percent revenue increase as well as an overall profit increase of 76 percent.

With smartphone and browser titles continuing to "ride high", and Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIVperforming well, Square saw revenue jump from ¥37.8 billion ($311 million) to ¥42.2 billion ($338 million), while profits soared dramatically, rising from ¥3.4 billion ($27 million) to ¥5.9 billion ($47 million).

Despite strong showings in the browser, smartphone, and MMO markets, the publisher did highlight the poor performance of recent console releases as a cause for concern.

"Among the console game titles, sales of new titles were fewer compared with the same period of the prior fiscal year," read a Square Enix statement.

"... but repeat sales of catalogue titles, primarily through download, have gained favorable results."

The same devs, no?

Looks like it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
They will do well with Dragon Quest XI. Heroes also did well. Heroes 2 is in development. I doubt Versus XIII/XV will ever recoup costs. FFVIIR will make them some nice cash. NieR 2 will bomb. They have their mobile and browser games that they won't give up. DQ X is coming to the west if I remember correctly. FFXIV is doing well and so is the expansion (deservedly so, I must say). There's also Deus Ex and Hitman that could do well if SE don't expect them to sell like 5-6 million each. I don't know how well Just Cause 3 will sell, but I guess it will do decently. Tomb Raider and Star Ocean. Then there's Dissidia and Bravely second, Final Fantasy Explorers.

They haven't released that many console/handheld games compared to other years, but these coming months will see them rake in the money, I believe.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
As far as we know, it's not.

How do you figure?
Oh, yeah, it was coming to PS4, not the west.

NieR didn't sell very well, a sequel surprised everyone and I have a feeling that if the second game doesn't get any marketing (the first didn't), then it won't sell in huge numbers. Then again, it all depends on the game's budget.

Mer1

Novice
Obviously. Consoles don't even have an online store, do they?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Obviously. Consoles don't even have an online store, do they?
Is this a troll post? All consoles have online stores since almost 10 years back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom