Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Grandia II has the best epilogue I've seen in JRPGs. But very very easy. Too bad the HD edition doesn't solve this.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On Grandia II's Hard mode (taken from another forum, can't be arsed to google the original source):

"Yes, there was a lot of work done for Hard Mode both for regular enemies & for bosses. It's not just the raw health & defense numbers that are different, but also the speed of the opponents attack bar (frequency) that have been adjusted. As the user starts to progress the boss battles will start to become very challenging. Some battles later on that may have took 20mins on Normal Mode before could last 45-60mins+ mins on Hard Mode.

General world enemies in Grandia II Hard Mode are more difficult because of an increase in their frequency of attacks, their increased HP, and in some instances their ability to take damage. This makes each enemy engagement more risky for the player, while still providing the same reward and XP curve, ensuring that enemy difficulty does not outpace player advancement. Combat has not been ramped up overly excessively for world enemies, as the player is never a great distance from a save cone and we don’t want Hard Mode devolving into a constant shuttling between the save cone and the next world enemy.

Bosses in Grandia II HD Hard mode however, have been made significantly more difficult. Their attacks are much more frequent, forcing the player to make constant decisions about when to heal, boost, or attack; balanced against the player’s capacity to counter boss attacks with defensive maneuvers. Bosses also have large boosts to HP, defence, and in some cases even their base damage values. Vulnerabilities to specific attacks have also been decreased, but not so much that enemies lose their “personality”. This ensures that players still have an avenue to attack bosses in specific and tactical ways. Regardless of these increases though, players should be able to beat any boss via a tactical approach, regardless of the leveling up choices they’ve made prior to that point in the game."

So, not so bad after all?

Some battles later on that may have took 20mins on Normal Mode before could last 45-60mins+ mins on Hard Mode.

Uh, I take that back.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All, if not most, of their games are so mediocre it hurts. And short.

Basically, they're pretty much professional RPG Maker developers, without the RPG Maker.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
“Otomon,” friendly monsters that Riders can deepen their bonds with, have their own minds and will act at their own will.
[...]
The hero participates in battle but largely in a support role. The core attacks are dished out by the Otomon.
We will need some combat video to understand how it really plays, but I could be interested.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Grandia II is alright so far, but I seem to spend more time watching spell animations than actually fighting. (Comes with the older JRPG territory I guess.)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Exist Archive characters:
EA_Sep102015_collage2.png

EA_Sep102015_collage1.png

EA_Sep102015_collage3.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atlus will be releasing a demo for the 3DS rpg The Legend of Legacy on September 22. Will be up on the NA eshop.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Experience's dungeon RPG Stranger of Sword City announced for a remastered Xbox One release. They say they want to bring it to the west.

And someone asked about a Steam release to its president and he answered:

(rough translation) "Steam is...a difficult business. Since there's too much cheap sales and many strong games, it requires as much promotion as smartphone market...it's difficult for us."

:negative:

GrainWetski

Arcane
sounds fucking stupid, but I guess they're banking on people having a XBONE having nothing to play

They'd be right about that.

Not sure if that helps them at all as I don't see why anyone would buy the console unless said person is retarded and likes trash like Gear of War.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
sounds fucking stupid, but I guess they're banking on people having a XBONE having nothing to play

This year Microsoft didn't even try so I can only guess this is developers themselves showing initiative. Remember 360 when Microsoft actually got some exclusives like Last Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, at least for English speaking audience?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Remember 360 when Microsoft actually got some exclusives like Last Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, at least for English speaking audience?

Yup, for JRPG players (I basically play nothing else on console) the choice was easy back then between a 360 and a PS3 (of course since then the PS3 got Demon's souls, Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni so the only sane choice is henceforth both). The choice between a PS4 and a XBONE will be even easier.

Archibald

Arcane
I think that with 360 Microsoft had some hopes of establishing themselves in Japan and getting some JRPG stuff made sense. Nowdays xbox one is selling like 50 units a week while Wii U and PS4 seams to be moving around 10k every week with some spikes when new hot game is released.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Sony held their pre-TGS conference. Lots of cool stuff.

Gravity Rush remake for PS4 and Gravity Rush 2 for PS4, coming out in 2016.

NIOH, was announced for the PS3 launch. It was seemingly dead but has been resurrected. Published by TecmoKoei and developed by Team Ninja.

Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Force for PSV, brand new game.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Prologue Chapter (lol), includes KH 3D HD + KH 0.2 BbS (PS4)
Website http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/khhd_fcp/

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC revealed, November 2015

Danganrompa 3 for PSV/PS4

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Project Setsuna, Square Enix/TRF) confirmed for PS4/Vita in Early 2016, oldstyle JRPG

Vanillaware's 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim announced for PS4 & Vita

Star Ocean 5 coming to Japan (PS3&PS4) on February 25 2016, First Trailer Released

Square Enix's Seiken Densetsu remake (Final Fantasy Adventure) is on Vita#1
http://www.jp.playstation.com/tgs/games/01.html

S-E still hasn't announced details on the upcoming remake of SD1 yet, but it looks like it'll be on a Playstation platform at least. It's listed as part of the Playstation booth at TGS there, with video only. The details of the remake will be formally announced at midnight tomorrow in Japan, so it'll be another 27 hours before we know for sure. Vita? PS4? If it's a mobile title like some people suspect, given the marketing they're doing with Rise of Mana, then Vita would not be surprising.

Yakuza 1 Extreme (Remake, PS3/PS4, Jan 2016) and Yakuza 6 (PS4, Fall 2016) announced

SaGa Scarlet Grace (Square Enix) gets first trailer, delayed to 2016, PS Vita

I might have missed some stuff, but I am interested in moast of the things announced. Probably most hyped for Yakuza 6.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not bad, honestly. Most actually have a good chance of coming here. Except for Gundam, of course, and anything Yakuza related. I know Yakuza 5 is coming, but c'mon, that took years to announce. And we're definitely not getting Ishin.

SaGa could go either way though.

Also:
jpg

Someone pointed this guy out as samurai Geralt. I can't unsee it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom