Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Luka-boy

Arcane
:what:

I heard there was some problem with the tiles in the port, but I wasn't expecting that level of fuck-up.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guest said:
A CREDIBLE TALE OF YOKAI, ROBOTS & THE LUNAR TOURIST is now raising funds on Kickstarter. An action RPG inspired by Japanese folklore and 16-bit classics Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, A Credible Tale is starting its campaign with a full-featured demo -- which is available for Windows and Mac:

Windows: https://goo.gl/4gcRMq
Mac: https://goo.gl/dxaonM

Developed by Overclocked Games in Seattle and Tokyo, the game has players explore their surroundings during the day for loot and fight hordes of yōkai at night by setting traps -- a hearty mix of JRPG mechanics, base building, and real-time combat. A Credible Tale will even teach you a bit of Japanese (!)

KS video: https://youtu.be/vhEa6Ced188
KS URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...dible-tale-of-yokai-robots-and-the-lunar-tour

A Credible Tale needs just $27,900 from backers to become a reality. The crowdfunding campaign has secured $1,760 from 34 backers so far and will end on October 26 at 8:14 a.m. Pacific / 1:14 p.m. Eastern.

(Steam users can also vote on the game’s Steam Greenlight page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522712357)

STORY/GAMEPLAY
Inspired by Japanese folklore, A Credible Tale features accurate depictions of yōkai -- supernatural beings that appear throughout Japanese mythology. Every yōkai in A Credible Tale has its own unique A.I., which matches Japanese tradition. To stop the yōkai, the player will take control of Hiro and his companions (Kaguya and P.O.P.S.) -- who discover the Moon Princess in the woods and suddenly find themselves responsible for the safety of the village.

A Credible Tale’s combat takes inspiration from popular action RPGs with an Eastern bent. Every battle is fought in in real time using a combination of the team’s abilities and your town’s defenses: Go in with fists ablaze using powerful charge attacks -- or arm yourself to the teeth with weapons and armor. The choice is yours. For added fun, knock enemies around and see what chaos you can create in the enemy ranks :)

Aside from putting the spotlight on Japanese folklore, the team at Overclocked Games is also taking their love of Japanese culture one step further. A Credible Tale incorporates the basics for teaching elementary Japanese within the game so that players can learn the Japanese language while battling yōkai.

DEVELOPER QUOTE:
Jared Palmer, lead developer at Overclocked Games:

“We love Japan and everything it has to offer. Japan is and always has been fertile ground for wild, inventive folklore. The diverse range of yōkai available is great for combat and gameplay -- and it really showcases Japan’s unique culture.”

KEY FEATURES
-- Explore a hand-drawn 3D world set in classic Japan
-- Build creative traps to defend your own customized village from yōkai invaders in battles that require careful planning and perfect execution
-- Defeat hordes of yōkai in real-time combat (inspired by Secret of Mana and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)
-- Experiment with endless synergistic possibilities by customizing the skills and weapons for more than three distinct player characters
-- Immerse yourself in Japanese folklore, and learn a bit of Japanese along the way!

AVAILABILITY
A Credible Tale will be available for PC and Mac when it launches in Q4 of 2016.

ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
Founded in Seattle, Washington in 2013, Overclocked Games is a small, four-person team of adult gamers that never grew out of their childhood hobby. The team includes Jared Palmer (Lead Programmer), Chris Nielsen (Game Designer/Programmer), Peter Nozawa (3D/2D Artist), and Sam Lewis Jones (Composer/Musician). Being raised in the golden age of gaming has given the studio a deep appreciation for the classics and the gameplay that made them great. For more information about Overclocked Games, please visit: http://www.overclockedgames.com

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From the game forum (crop):

tMAUIGD.jpg

The remade filtered sprites as a bad looking as they were in the FF6 release.

A55215E45A0698DB380D74515606BA16C9CBE0B8

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What exactly is the point of remaking the sprites in worse quality on superior hardware?
In a board room, I imagine it was to bill some sort of improvement over the original while being able to scale with modern devices (re: mobile). All for the sake of having a reason to sell it at a overpriced $15. Of course in reality it's just another show of incompetency from Square Enix.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All this shit was going on during Wada's reign. Thank God he's gone.

HotSnack

Cipher
I just stumbled on a surprise sale of what looks like most of the SMT related games on the EU PSN (I say surprise, as it is not listed at all on the PSN sales pages...)

The sales range from 50%-65% discounts, and I've seen Lucifer's Call, the various Persona games, and DDS 1 & 2 on there.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the style they went for with the mobile games completely put me off. Otherwise, I would have been suckered into buying them on a sale. But the Steam version eing this steamy pile of shit, I had hoped would not be the case.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, beside Exist Archive what could go wrong with porting text adventure/visual novels?

KUDWu2c.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Mystery Dungeon games would be nice, though I doubt they'd put the effort in to make a proper inventory interface.

Siveon

Bot
I would love to see Shiren the Wanderer, Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Kenka Bancho(!) or whatever the hell Ukiyo no Shishi is on PC.

The VN's would certainly work well.

Siveon

Bot
I hope this game gets localized, somehow. http://playism-games.com/ would be wise to jump on their actually-good-doujin-that-aren't-visual-novels train while they still can.

It'll be the FE13 that I always wanted. Along with a shit ton of fan levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom