Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Exhuminator, May 15, 2019.

1. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    The new art is not bad by any means, just more generic and a lot of people (myself) included are diehard Kaneko fans. As far as I know, if you play on normal without any of the new commands, it should be 1:1 to vanilla normal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Removal Educated

Removal
    Caligula Effect is the very definition of interesting ideas with terrible execution. While on paper, the combat system seems pretty cool, sorta like Grandia II's ATB design where you can disrupt enemy attacks, counter them and set up combos, they never really force you to use it due to ease of encounters and 99% of encounters being trash you clean out in a minute or so. The chaff encounters are everywhere as well, dungeons are full of them sadly. The only time I had to actually think about the time units and setting up combos was when you fight enemies 10+ levels above your party.
    Supposedly the story is pretty decent, but I'm not suffering through meh gameplay for it.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I know a couple guys who were into that because the DDS writer worked on it.

^ Top  
  4. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    First and foremost Persona 1 / Persona 2 writer. DDS was based off of someone else's original scenario to begin with.

^ Top  
  5. Vorark Arbiter

Vorark
    Whew, finished Tales of Berseria after almost 35 hours clocked in.

Enjoyed it in spite of the terrible button mash combat and dull copy-pasted areas/dungeons. The plot gave off these Berserk vibes at the start but eventually spun the revenge motif into a different direction, which culminated in one of the best and most emotional scenes in the game.

As for the characters, Velvet was a pretty good lead although not as ruthless as I expected her to be. Magilou was equal parts hilarious and cynical, playing off Velvet's brooding personality; Laphicet had a nice dynamic with the protagonist, a pleasant surprise that went beyond annoying token kid character. The others were mostly forgettable.

Great ending too, more bitter than sweet.

:3/5: - Gameplay drags it down too much. If you're interested, watch a let's play or hope for an animu adaptation.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. AdvancedHero Savant

AdvancedHero
    Is there a Dragon Quest series thread? I just got to Chapter 5 in Dragon Warrior 4 (NES), so that means I get to deal with the AI combat. So far so good, but I don't have a full party yet, so I can imagine it might get annoying not being able to select actions for each person.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    A couple:
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dragon-quest.92179/
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-dragon-quest-thread.89863/page-13
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dragon-quest-xi.120957/

^ Top  
  8. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Found Infinite Undiscovery for $4 at Gamestop. I remember playing it when it came out but I couldn't remember anything about it...

.... it sucks. Clunky-ass button mash combat with none of the technical quality of other Tri Ace games. Some interesting ideas but overall feels rushed or unfinished.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cosmicray Learned

cosmicray
    I tried it at the height of my playing of console JRPGs, but it was shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ah, Infinite Undiscovery. I beat it, despite finding it to be shit. When I fought the final boss, I kept dying because of stupid team AI. I ended up controlling the healer and won. It turns out that she barely cast any healing spells, so I just spammed those until the boss went down.

Shit combat, shit graphics, shit story, shit characters and shit voice acting.

It did provide us with a legendary dance scene, I'll give it that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tse Tse Fly Learned

Tse Tse Fly
    Turns out there's an official port of The World Ends with You for Android. Has anyone tried it? Is it actually the full version of the DS game released back in 2007? Google play states it contains in-app purchases, and the price is pretty cheap, so I'm a bit suspicious.

^ Top  
  12. Thac0 Maybe we have trash taste ... Patron

Thac0
    TWEWY is the weirdest thing since to my knowledge it has heavily altered gameplay on DS, Switch and Android. Mobile is fine tho, not having two screens is annoying and leads to a very different combat feeling but it is a competent port apart from that.
    Switch version is based on mobile version.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zerth Learned

Zerth
    After clocking 45hr in a pretty forgettable playthrough, I've beaten Monster Hunter Stories.

It has a few decent ideas though, they tried to translate some core aspects of MH combat mechanics into a turn based system(you can topple monsters, enrage them,etc.), however, these were cemented over very oversimplified premises, because MHstories is basically targeted towards children rather than Its audience from the core games:

It conveys rock paper scissor gameplay with a system of three attack types, where each monster has a fixed attack bias which means their regular move is gonna be often a preferred attack type(since you don't have control over regular attack moves, only skills). So pretty much if you gain the upper hand countering your foe's moves, you earn skill points and snowball the encounter spamming whatever shit you have at disposal.

For the game's main campaign, they recycled gore magala's frenzy virus as plot device, but without any trace or mention of the monster. Content is heavily gated within story's progression, as many generic jrpgs do.

Needless to say the storytelling is trite: you roam around being an errand guy until plot demands the frenzy to rear its ugly head; after you finally deal with it, your sidekick lectures everyone about how powerful are the bonds of friendship... Every time.

It has a LOT of exposure through cutscenes, just as any of the latest pokemon games, however, unlike the latter, you are free to skip these whenever you like .

Optional dungeons are procedurally generated, often devoid of anything interesting, except when the game decides to put a Deviljho in.

At the very least, navigating across the map with monsters exploration skills is more amusing than in Pokémon.If only could have been seamless instead of going full retard with content gating.

^ Top  
  14. Dishonoredbr Savant

Dishonoredbr
    Bit a late but I played my first time on mobile recently. I loved. But it's totally different from the DS version. You only controls Neku and there's few new musics.

It's solid version and i didn't felt like i lost much from ds. The game still has a amazing connection between narative and gameplay.

I liked so much TWEWY that just got the switch version to play again. Easily 10/10 game.

^ Top  
  15. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    DQXI.

I play it on the toilet. Seems okay.

Also I had a fever dream after 1h of sleep where i confused my Switch for my alarm-ringing phone. So I moved the Switch around looking for the on button over and over, then finally turned it on and went through some cutscene thinking if I just got through it the alarm would turn off. Not even joking, and the cutscene was explaining some game mechanic and now I have no idea what it was :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. volklore Learned

volklore
    Playing Xenogears atm, didn't make it too far yet (going to infiltrate the aveh capital city) but from what i have played I kinda wished there would be less gear-centric sessions. I like on-foot combat a lot more so it kind of annoys me to have to take care of gears upgrade (especially since they seem to really make a huge difference) but we will see how it goes. Story wise it's slow for now but I am sure the story will pick up soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    ...and the on-foot sections become less common as you go on.

I really recommend sticking with it though. One of the greatest games of all time.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.