Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real-Time with Pause is Garbag...eh forgetit.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
This is the same guy who set his kingmaker playthrough to automatic kingdom building and then complained about not being able to manage his kingdom.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Variety is good.

RTwP: you play a party, pause the game, execute orders and everyone, including the enemy, move simultaneously and you can react and adjust actions on the fly.
Good for simulating the chaos of a battle, but on the downside it can also lead to frustrating clusterfuck and it's easy to misclick and can be hard to keep track of things in large battles.

Phase based (or whatever the correct term is): You issue orders to all your party members and then hit the "start combat round" button, and in a more complex system you and the enemy take turns acording to individual initiative, while in a simpler system each side acts in turn.
The fun thing about this system is that you have to anticipate what your enemies will do, and try to allocate enough strenght to various threats. Like how many fighter types do you need to kill that lone high level enemy spell caster, and how many Fireballs do you need on that group of low level enemy spell casters?

Standard turn based: Each character acts in turn, usually based on Initative. So your first fighter didn't kill off that enemy spell caster, so your next one takes a swing too. Not very complex or demanding, and probably easier to design and program.

All of these systems work for me, but at the end of the day the actual system used does not matter much if the encounter design is boring.

I think a big mistake people make with RTWP is turning on character AI. You pretty much have to control all your characters. I don't even know why they have the option

It's good for those easy trash fights. With AI on they take only a few seconds.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
I don't see what all the butthurt in this thread is about, the video is mostly good and he makes some good points here and there (except for the part when he bitches about party AI triggering AOOs when he could just deactivate it, that was fucking dumb), and he even says in the end that RTwP has its advantages and can be amazing if done correctly; which is true but for some reason rpg devs are stuck in the past and would much rather just make another shitty iteration of baldur's gate's combat instead of taking the system in a new direction or innovating.

If you want an example of a RTwP combat system done right in an rpg just play 7.62 High Calibre, in fact i would go as far as to say that people who haven't played it don't even know what good rtwp combat looks like.

Lurker47

Savant
If you want an example of a RTwP combat system done right in an rpg just play 7.62 High Calibre, in fact i would go as far as to say that people who haven't played it don't even know what good rtwp combat looks like.
Give me more good examples.

barghwata

Savant
Give me more good examples.

I wish i knew more :negative: there is also Brigade E5 made by the same devs, but it's really just a less polished version of high calibre, if you want good rtwp combat you're better off looking for it in tactical games then in rpgs.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In IWD2 on insane, you very often have to pause every 0,5 seconds to not die. I don't see how action ques make sense in this context. Or AI, or anything.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
hbomberguy is the classic poncey pole-smoking bong-twit (see also: Jim Stirling, now Jane?). no idea why people listen to him, he's not funny and looks constantly either high or inbetween bouts of anal fisting.

is strat-edgy the guy who fills his videos with random asides about his poor upbringing and muh capitalism? yeah no thanks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Am i the only one who sees some tranny in a store in the OP? :lol:
He realised nobody liked the video his idol posted do he's quivering behind some meme video. What a pussy.
I was a little disappointed to see that one of the last bastion of good cRPGs, Codexians can't realise how shitty RTWP can be. It was also surprising, because the video has good points (e.g action queues - just see how great 7.62 is which uses this feature). So yeah, I decided to edit out the video for the lulz.

Op is a little Bitch who should have his thread making privileges taken away.
You don't know who are you deeling with. I'm one of the pillars of RPG Codex, untouchable! I know this is hard to swallow, but you are just an Ontopoly, not a J_C. Deal with it.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I was a little disappointed to see that one of the last bastion of good cRPGs, Codexians can't realise how shitty RTWP can be.
cWkCBZQ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom