Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

V_K

Arcane
Zenfar keeps coming up so often in this thread that it probably can't be considered obscure anymore.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
ah, that's from the same dev team that made The Quest, which can be bought on steam. they're a bunch of chill hungarian dudes that make classic (and competent) grid-based crpgs.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You can actually buy Legacy and all the expansions directly from them

Molina

Savant
https://store.steampowered.com/app/589470/Myrne_The_Quest/
Myrn the quest. The solo dev wanted to make a RPG inspired by Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, Arcanum...
1565087152.png

2.png

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i have a faint feeling this was made with a default unity pack that a handful of other games on steam have used, but it could just me

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Of all things mention ITT I became really interested in Arcatera: The Dark Brotherhood (the aesthetics of what I see on screenshots is awesome). Trying to find the working version.

20397012.jpg

16_1.jpg

78132-arcatera-the-dark-brotherhood-screenshot.jpg

Well, I've tried the old-games version and even could watch the intro (which was great), no luck in starting the actual game though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyone here ever get this game to work via emulation or have they cracked it copied out the assets somewhere?
Myabandonware

Realms of Darkness

I finished it long ago on my c64 but lament i never wrote a complex guide to the game. The guide that comes with it is ok but leaves out various details like mob placements, drops, xp, etc. There is minimal sound and graphics were done with some simple art program. Only appleII and c64 were named Realms of Darkness while a japanese computer redid the gfx and play. It was called Rogue Alliance.

I've been thinking of pulling out my old tv/vcr combo and hooking up the c64 and attempt a playthrough again (assuming the ancient thing works). There are few vids on this and next to no walkthroughs or data. Its an odd duck.

Crap... maybe i spoke too soon. Someone did a stratwiki

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Rinne is a Diablo style action RPG where you play a Valkyrie that can possess bodies. Interesting take on the genre.
Rinne is the fourth game in the Relics series.

I love the original Relics, but yet to play the other three games -- I'm don't care for Diablo-style gameplay, but might give them a try later down the road.

The first game is one of the most original action-adventure games I've ever played, and it's playable even if you don't speak Japanese -- IIRC only the intro and ending are in Japanese, the rest is in plain English.

I like to think that they tried to make the game even more obtuse for Japanese speakers, but inadvertently made it playable for foreign players.

Anyone here ever get this game to work via emulation or have they cracked it copied out the assets somewhere?
Myabandonware

Realms of Darkness

I finished it long ago on my c64 but lament i never wrote a complex guide to the game. The guide that comes with it is ok but leaves out various details like mob placements, drops, xp, etc. There is minimal sound and graphics were done with some simple art program. Only appleII and c64 were named Realms of Darkness while a japanese computer redid the gfx and play. It was called Rogue Alliance.

I've been thinking of pulling out my old tv/vcr combo and hooking up the c64 and attempt a playthrough again (assuming the ancient thing works). There are few vids on this and next to no walkthroughs or data. Its an odd duck.

Crap... maybe i spoke too soon. Someone did a stratwiki
You'll have a perfect version with everything fixed of Realms of Darkness on the site Gamebase64.
It always intrigued me but I never got to play it. Is it any good?

Envoyé de mon EML-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, imagine a text adventure combined with a tb combat rpg where you explore dungeons like in wizardry. You can also break your party up into 8 separate parties and take turns (odd mechanic). Its ok. The monsters are weird and you can reset the adventure several times and use the same PCs. Downside is how slow it was (based on actual c64 hardware).

Believe it or not there is a sequel by Origin (the programmers ended up there) called Tangled Tales. Maybe for me it was nostalgia. Like most SSI games of the period don't expect a spectacular ending (better than shard of spring at least). For me the draw was the weirdness and odd bestiary. Phantasie series trumps this game.

I can't say if the MSX, PC-98 etc etc versions are good. They have mouse interface, jap language, and anime-like art style but i guess the game is intact. I've tried to find separate roms for each japanese computer but only secured one from myabandonware.

i havent tried the rom recently but past attempts were failure as i got errors on both applewin and c64 emu. I should try again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom