Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Obscure RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lord_Potato, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Sorry, must have missed this one. Credit whre it's due. Your find!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    I have honestly never heard of Grotesque Tactics and did not see it discussed on the Codex, despite lurking for 2 years. Seems obscure to me. Maybe they do not care about marketing?

^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Grotesque Tactics games are oldish and from what i remember the studio did go under. They are pretty fun games,would recommend giving it a try.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I got them on Steam but haven't played them yet. They're regularly on sale for less than 4 euros or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's a very barebones rpg, one with level gating which is not clearly marked, and consists of rather repetitive actions. The music is good though, damn good.

laclongquan this is likely relevant to your interests.

^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    No it's not. It's a bloody false marketing is what it is.

I'd like me some feminine curve on a figure running around on the screen, not a bloody full plate armor. Her face can be a lure but this game show her back, so it's a moot point.

For a H&S action game with a female MC, it's fucking imperative that you can have some nice ass running around, or failing that, the ability to mod in some nice ass. This game lack in both counts.

Thus I say a case of false marketing. It's obscure for a reason.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm sorry bro.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    IT's okay. It's a chance for me to point out that bloody false advertising.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. vazha Erudite

vazha
    That Joan of Arc game was popamole before it was cool a thing, but it posessed a charm like few others did. It really nailed the medieval atmosphere, so despite mainchar disney-ness and overal rpg-lite features, I'd still recommend you gentlemen (men of delicate persuasion included) to give it a try, if you havent already.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    Even I don't have a working copy, as it uses outdated tools and programming practices I now despise. If I ever get motivated I may remake it in curses with no GUI, just Vim style commands. Of course that means no one will want to play it. lol

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Goblino Savant

Goblino
    I think I've mentioned this one before, but Hammer and Sickle is a childhood favorite of mine. It's basically an overhaul mod for Silent Storm that's more of an espionage rpg. People really don't talk about it enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    TechnoTechnoMage - Return to Eternity
    Maybe stumbled upon one videoreview somewhere on YT in one of these channels forgotten by their owners.
    Never saw anyone talking about it here.

What about tactical games with RPG elements?
    Apeiron games are the closest thing to JA2 you can get, if a bit clunky. That include Brigade E5 (nothing great), 7,62 High Calibre and Hard Life and Marauder-Man of Prey are pretty good titles if you get into them and deal with clunky control.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. V_K Arcane

V_K
    For good reason, it's utter crap. It's like 5% RPG and 95% shooter with very clunky controls.
    It has a huuuuge open world (we're talking several kingdoms) and some nice mechanics. Don't know what's so hard in running it, should work in dosbox normally.
    Nope, it's pretentious goth adventure with some action sequences. It's also utterly terrible.
    Don't regret it, it's abysmal. The whole "gameplay" is just running around between cities doing FedEx quests and fighting random battles on the world map. I'm not exaggerating - there's no single quest that isn't a fedex, and no single dungeon in the whole game.
    It's mediocre on the same scale, on which Oblivion is a masterpiece.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. V_K Arcane

V_K
    It's very arcade-ish, more Zelda-like (sans the open world, the story railroads you through a set of levels).
    I couldn't play either for more than an hour because of abysmal UI.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Wow, V_K, you sure played a lot of these obscure titles :D I believe most of them are well... below average. There is a reason they are obscure and usually it's not poor marketing. Still, I have some blood of an explorer in my veins, so I try the ones I can get my hands on.

Today I dusted my old laptop from 2006 with Windows XP. I managed to run Heath: the Unchosen Path, Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon and Metalheart: Replicant's Rampage on this archaic device. I'll post my experiences soon!

In the meantime, I'm playing Another War (the Polish Baldur's Gate in a comedy-like 2nd World War setting). I'm almost halfway through (finishing 2nd region out of 4). It would be a good title, if not for abysmal combat (patched! before it was even worse... you had to click for every punch/stab/shot, now you choose an enemy and your character tries to kill him until you change orders; which you have to do often, because AI is moronic) and an inferior story. They tried to be funny a bit too much for their own good. Anyway, pressing on through Nazi-occupied Balkans!

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. CptMace Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Tales of Wuxia looks very, very good.
    Didn't watch the video though.

^ Top  
  18. V_K Arcane

V_K
    It's actually Goldenland 1 (and what is known as Goldenland in the West, is technically Goldenland 2), and it's even worse than the sequel. How on earth did that thing manage to get a sequel is one of the greatest misteries of the universe.

Well, in some cases it is poor marketing (e.g. Dark Hear of Uukrul or Aethra Chronicles), or the game is just too unconventional or innovative to take off commercially (E.Y.E. anyone?).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Ok, I wanted to check out Goldenland and it seems I'll get the chance eventually :) So far I spoke with 1 guy and fought one battle with sloooooooow moooooooviiiiiiiiing wolves, which managed to kill me, because I attacked them with an unarmed mage :)

Gorasul actually looks more promising. The first location strongly resembles the Morgue in Planescape: Torment. And since you wake up with amnesia, I immediatly felt like home.

^ Top  
  20. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Mechanically they are more or less the same. The sequel has a slightly more coherent gameworld and story, but that's about it.

^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    It is good, actually.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    sadly it's unplayably buggy

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman The House Always Wins Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've played these two:

While I could not get into Another War because of the horrible combat, I have actually completed Icarus in it's whole buggy and cheesy glory, although it took some abusing of the game's character system to be able to finish it.

I would add a few more to the list, such as Venetica and... well, I would need to take a look at my shelf at home. My memory is not what it used to be.

^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    I don't remember having any problems playing the game. If you want unplayable buggy go and try out spellforce 3,it is real shame. Great game but unplayable because of the bugs.

^ Top  
  25. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    spellforce 3 doesn't look appealing.
    as for grotesque tactics, i don't know how long it's been since i tried to play it so maybe we played different versions and it got patched. all i know is that is was so broken i couldn't progress with the main quest at the time.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.