Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Realms of Arkania: Shovelware Edition

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I enjoy lancing the ulcers of irrational butthurt. Besides, I too am in the business of releasing broken games :smug:

Are you? I thought you were out of game biz after that... uh, cancelled one?

Which company/game?

Delterius

Arcane
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Steam's representatives so far - friendly, helpful, explained all the tools and features (instead of linking to some help files), answered all questions. We explained that our release date was estimated and that it would depend on the final beta test's results and they had no problem with it. There was absolutely no pressure to name a date and stick with it.

So its Gaben's fault that I may never get to play the finished AoD in this life? :(

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadowrun postponed their release that and i am sure steam didn't say a word against it.
"So its next month then? Hm okay..."

They postponed it once. Keep doing it over and over, and Gaben will start wondering if it's worth keeping your vapourwares being advertised on his platform from now on.

Well that's wonderful, because RoA didn't need to be postponed more than once. One postponement of six months ought to have done it.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The game was released Friday. There are no reports of anybody clearing a single dungeon yet.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Increasing your stats can now fail (by design, closer to PnP rules), but the lead dev already gave instructions to mod it:

- open file schick_data/data/globalsettings.xml (make a backup beforehand)

- go to character/levelup and find the setting "posattrib/roll"

- replace value "3W6" with "25"

Seems like a pretty good chance that mods will fix this game.

Stabwound

Arcane
It is supposed to be fairly moddable, but that doesn't mean much when the game is only half there to begin with.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Translation issu or censor?

I don't call that Elm Leaf in the best case...:D
040b3651-8e0b-4524-b7f3-f05f537e90fa.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Steam's representatives so far - friendly, helpful, explained all the tools and features (instead of linking to some help files), answered all questions. We explained that our release date was estimated and that it would depend on the final beta test's results and they had no problem with it. There was absolutely no pressure to name a date and stick with it.

Interesting to hear this first hand. My love for GabeN is bolstered.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Translated from Wiki Aventurica:

Ilm Leaf, also called Batonga in mohic, is a tall shrub plant and a close relative of Hemp. Potlikker made from boiled ilm leaves causes a trance.

mwhLt6S.jpg

[real life equivalent: cannabis]

The old image was:
QbDz2gi.gif

Very tall and shrubby, eh? I think we've officially found the first improvement of the remake. :incline:

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm eagerly awaiting the "unofficial" english release to see just how bad this thing is.

mondblut

Arcane
Increasing your stats can now fail (by design, closer to PnP rules), but the lead dev already gave instructions to mod it:

- open file schick_data/data/globalsettings.xml (make a backup beforehand)

- go to character/levelup and find the setting "posattrib/roll"

- replace value "3W6" with "25"

Eh? With all the annoying levelup failures in the original trilogy, raising positive stats never was among them. Skills could fail, spells could fail, even lowering negative attributes could fail, but increasing positives was failproof.

Seems like a pretty good chance that mods will fix this game.

Moar liek, if there are any fun parts in a given game, there is a pretty good chance that mods will remove them.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So... the game is what it looked like in that video from a few months ago? Who could have foretold.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Eh? With all the annoying levelup failures in the original trilogy, raising positive stats never was among them. Skills could fail, spells could fail, even lowering negative attributes could fail, but increasing positives was failproof.

That's because the trilogy wasn't completely faithful to the old PnP rules. You were supposed to roll three six-sided dice and exceed your current level in an attribute to successfully raise it. Made it almost impossible to reach god-like stats - that's how it's implemented here.

Delterius

Arcane
Aside from the technical incompetence, how faithful was this remake meant to be? I'm sure that some things must have been sacrificed between then and now, especially given the development resources involved, but how close are the rule system and the game's content to the original experience? On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being franchise rape, 10 being the second coming of Christ and 5 being 'spiritual successor', a la P:E.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Aside from the technical incompetence, how faithful was this remake meant to be? I'm sure that some things must have been sacrificed between then and now, especially given the development resources involved, but how close are the rule system and the game's content to the original experience? On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being franchise rape, 10 being the second coming of Christ and 5 being 'spiritual successor', a la P:E.

It was meant to be a 9, with almost all changes bringing the game either a) closer to the PnP rules or b) closer to the later parts of the trilogy.

In more concrete terms, the lead dev announced that he overhauled two "broken" dungeon layouts out of over twenty, removed all the infinite-xp exploits, and generally made gameplay harder. They also left the hard time limit on the main quest completely unchanged (while making ship travel times more realistic/shorter), which is a courageous choice to put it mildly.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
'Tis a bitter irony that, one by one, the sweet fruits of incline all turn to ashes in our mouths.

Predicting collective Codex suicide when W2/PE ship.
I hope that W2, PE and Torment will also turn out to be shit :D .

mondblut

Arcane
That's because the trilogy wasn't completely faithful to the old PnP rules. You were supposed to roll three six-sided dice and exceed your current level in an attribute to successfully raise it.

I guess some rules are not meant to be faithful to :obviously:

Made it almost impossible to reach god-like stats - that's how it's implemented here.

You are saying that as if reaching godlike stats is something bad.

Stabwound

Arcane
Judging by posts about the game, it's basically a lost cause. There's probably zero hope of them releasing games 2 and 3 in this way, so whatever. It looked pretty at first, but the more I read about the game, the more I realize how broken it is. It almost sounds like they tried to make a really fucked up game on purpose: I mean, dogs in combat showing up as human skeletons? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom