Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Realms of Arkania: Shovelware Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've finally found something worse than this game: http://gamebanshee.com/news/112021-realms-of-arkania-blade-of-destiny-remake-reviews.html

There are also some impressions over at Overpower3d. The writer doesn't seem to have any experience with the original, and criticizes both the game systems (which are compared, weirdly enough, to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) and the remake's bugginess:

The combat, is pretty bad. Like, really pretty bad. It's slow and poorly laid out. The combat area is based on squares and you move a number of squares and if you have enough energy left in you, you can attack a guy, or try to, at least. Go out swinging! The figures are badly made with poor animations and you only hit a guy every third of fourth try. Your enemy hits you constantly. Never a miss. I only just about survived my first ever battle, which was against eight robbers. I only had 5 guys. And only two of them could attack with a weapon. What the hell?

Now, you may be getting ready to flame me. Some of you will have jumped down to the comment section and blazed off a few words of scorn already. But, let's be rational and think about this. Ok, so my characters probably missed because they were only level 1 and there is most likely a system that increases your accuracy the higher you build a skill of a talent. That's highly probable. Systems such as that are present on classics like Morrowind. But, despite how we have gone beyond Morrowind-esque games in to a better world of Skyrims, old school RPGs have their charm. My point, however, is that we don't need to regress, and if we do, we can surely do a better job than this poor plater of animal waste.

To be honest, I can't see how this is a remake. I tried to find the original that was released in '93 and could only find a wikipedia page. So, I have a theory. I don't think there is a remake. I think Crafty Studios (the clue is in the name) bought the rights, re-skinned the game, and re-released it to us fools who had forgotten about it. Prove me wrong, kids! Prove me wrong!

:hearnoevil:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. I was very upset about that idiot for a moment.
I wanted to flame on the comment section, but then I realized he played that game and that alone will serve as punishment enough.

He is right, though, about new players being completely clue- and helpless when starting RoA. Some tutorials would have been great, but that will never happen.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This might bring it to 2.6 points:

Patch 1.15 - August 12th 10:15 pm (GMT+2)
  • new Music assignment
  • improved Fight Initiative display (no more overlapping images)
  • Black magician’s Ruin Endfight and Chest fixed
  • Usergenerated Character Images of “Jorsch” included
  • Fight Action Camera reactivateable in globalsettings
  • Fight Camera focuses on current Char
  • Item Bonus fix
  • Panicbutton Scrollbar fixed
  • ESC-Menu while in Character Generation deactivated
  • Doubleclick on Exit (to Skip animation) no longer clicks the button outside)
  • Item Images fixed
  • Lowering Negative Attributes rolls three times instead of one
  • Random Bard Event unlocked
  • Arrival at correct Signpost / Harbor
  • Eliane Windenbek forced at the bard
  • Bard appears for at least two informer tips
  • Swafnild Egilsdotter can be met at harbors again
  • 4th Staff Enchantment fixed

edit: also, they've just thrown their every-three-days patching schedule out the window and posted a new one (German only for now) that reintroduces daily patches. Translation:

13. August 2013 (20:00 GMT+2)
Focus: new spells
  • Enemies cast spells
  • Enemies use ranged weapons
  • New options
    • Voices on/off
    • Depth of Field on/off
    • Kill-Cam as option
14. August 2013 (20:00 GMT+2)
Focus: Recipes, Healing
  • Recipes
  • Alchemy
  • Illnesses
  • Healing skills
    • Poison
    • Wounds
    • Illnesses

15. August 2013 (20:00 GMT+2)
Focus: Combat
  • Extro fix
  • Ork-Champion fix
  • Poisoned Weapons
  • Goblins unlocked
  • Sabre Tooth unlocked
  • Lion unlocked
  • Sounds update and implement

Game will be beatable in three days! :roll:

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
It's nice how this game isn't even worth playing until they fix it, because shit like "Black magician’s Ruin Endfight and Chest fixed" means that if you actually finished that quest, you're fucked because you can't get what was in the chest anymore.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Looking for a chance to get some industry work on your CV? Here's your chance:

Wanted: Native English reader (US or UK)

Hi all,

we had some complaints about the English language in RoA. I am not talking about the Narrator now, I am talking about the text itself. We had a professional loca studio writing the translation from German to English, however, as we are native Austrian (or Czech), it´s hard to tell if the style is good, we only see obvious translation errors if we encounter them.

So it would be very appreciated if an English reader with vast reading experience or a profession linked to writing(teacher, author, copywriter...) here could volunteer to read over the translation as an excel sheet containing the english localization, marking elements as either "sounds good" or "sounds awkward".

Please send me a PN if you want to contribute here.

Canadians, South Africans, Jamaicans and Aussies are unwelcome for obvious reasons, but I don't know why Kiwis are excluded. Job's unpaid, of course.

kazgar

Arcane
In a month or so once the patches have slowed down to two a week, and the developers have had the first nights sleep in about 6 weeks, there's going to be a amazing interview here with them if someone could organise it

I think the only question needed is "WTF?" though you may want to expand on it as they'll be sleep deprived.

Some of those patch fixes are crazy.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like a previous poster said, they're basically using Steam as a daily snapshot repository. steam.sourceforge.org. It's insane, I've never seen anything like it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Daily updates are normal when you develop browser games. Well... maybe not normal, but it happens.
This is new a low, though. Even for browser game standards.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I guess the guy who translates their patch notes ran away or something, because they're only putting their stuff up in German now. Here's today's/yesterday's patch:

Patch 1.16 - 14. August 01:30 (GMT + 2)
  • Enemies cast spells
  • Enemies ranged combat
  • Missing buttons/missing background in chargen
  • portraits aren't saved - fixed
  • NEW: charimages-folder, to import own portraits (png, jpg, 256x256)
  • change portraits anytime (click on portrait in char screen)
  • map-Buttons with correct flyover-help
  • battle-lockup probably corrected
  • Mac disappearing chars fixed
Are custom char images officially the first new feature of the remake? And I don't know what "flyover help" is; they wrote the same thing in the German patch notes.

Only two more days until the end boss is unlocked :roll:

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Looking for a chance to get some industry work on your CV? Here's your chance:

Wanted: Native English reader (US or UK)

Hi all,

we had some complaints about the English language in RoA. I am not talking about the Narrator now, I am talking about the text itself. We had a professional loca studio writing the translation from German to English, however, as we are native Austrian (or Czech), it´s hard to tell if the style is good, we only see obvious translation errors if we encounter them.

So it would be very appreciated if an English reader with vast reading experience or a profession linked to writing(teacher, author, copywriter...) here could volunteer to read over the translation as an excel sheet containing the english localization, marking elements as either "sounds good" or "sounds awkward".

Please send me a PN if you want to contribute here.

Canadians, South Africans, Jamaicans and Aussies are unwelcome for obvious reasons, but I don't know why Kiwis are excluded. Job's unpaid, of course.
Eh why the exclusions? For example, its not as if Aussies would translate it to some kind of Boganese.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No patch yesterday, to prepare for today's big changes:

Patch 1.17 - August 15th, 2013 15:30pm GMT+2)
  • Rebalancing: Fewer Rations on Camp Foodsearch
  • Enemy Vitality fix (every enemy had 20 Vitality so far)
  • Daspota and other “House”-Trigger made unique
  • Leaving Hyggeliks Ruin fixed
  • QuickSave (F5) + QuickLoad (F6)
  • Defaultresolution to 1024x768
  • Default Quality to Beautiful
  • Default Double assignment for c removed
  • Extro fixed
  • Ork-Champion fixed
  • More Performance Optimizations
  • Heshtot-Fix in Dragoncave
  • Armory can only be entered once
  • Textfix Honest Jorge
  • Dragoncave Pirate fight just once
  • Dunkle Dungeon-Karten Fix
  • Settings-Dialog reworked
  • Volume for Voiceover
  • Volume for Foodsteps
  • Choice of Language
A complete game :salute:

...well, maybe:

Es wurde uns gesagt: "Ihr müßt mit an Sicherheit grenzender Wahrscheinlichkeit sicher sein", dass man's durchspielen kann. Sprich: Am Ende den Orkchamp besiegen und den Abspann ansehen.

Finden sich unter euch einige, die das im Eiltempo tun können - Durchspielen? Es geht konkret wirklich "nur" darum, die Kartenteile zu haben und am Ende den Abspann zu sehen. Und uns sagen, obs geht oder nicht? Und wenn nicht, wo's hakt? BITTE BITTE! Mehr zum "Warum" sag ich nicht, weiß ich auch gar nicht. Ich weiß nur, dass wir mit unserem kleinen Team da bitte euer aller Hilfe brauchen!

Last edited:

Nim

Augur
No patch yesterday, to prepare for today's big changes:

Es wurde uns gesagt: "Ihr müßt mit an Sicherheit grenzender Wahrscheinlichkeit sicher sein", dass man's durchspielen kann. Sprich: Am Ende den Orkchamp besiegen und den Abspann ansehen.

Finden sich unter euch einige, die das im Eiltempo tun können - Durchspielen? Es geht konkret wirklich "nur" darum, die Kartenteile zu haben und am Ende den Abspann zu sehen. Und uns sagen, obs geht oder nicht? Und wenn nicht, wo's hakt? BITTE BITTE! Mehr zum "Warum" sag ich nicht, weiß ich auch gar nicht. Ich weiß nur, dass wir mit unserem kleinen Team da bitte euer aller Hilfe brauchen!
Ahahaha, goddamn monkeys. How the fuck can they not even know if the game is atm finishable ? That's just :hmmm:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Agile Software-Development and Xtreme-Programming in its purest form ... unfortunately beginning after release date.

Ich weiß nur, dass wir mit unserem kleinen Team da bitte euer aller Hilfe brauchen!

"Our small team needs your help!" or something close? Basically, begging the players to help beta test? Now?! Grimoire is more complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom