Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - hard rock spacing sequel

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Fuck them. Day 1 purchase at 85% off on Steam when they come crawling back with their tails between their legs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And just to be clear it's not a Steam-or-bust thing. They also won't be releasing on GOG, either, until a year has gone by.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Well, haven't pirated since a couple of years, this would have been an instant purchase for me. Not anymore.
The Epic platform is garbage, no good refund policy = no purchase. Simple as that.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Wow... what a retarded move. I was just getting interested in this again (after realizing X4 is too much for my taste).

But exclusive to Epic Games Store??? Fuck it! The time I will buy anything on this shitstore is when they have at least re-created Unreal in Unreal Engine 4.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Idiotic move. Why'd you want to do that as an indie? People will rather pirate their game than install yet another crapware on their computers.
As a developer, I can understand being fed up with Steam taking a larger cut than Uber does from its drivers...
But by doing so, they alienate a lot of their player base indeed as epic store offers none of the functionalities of Steam (and the libraries won't transfer there easily...).
I think the best, from a player point of view, is to buy the game through the developer web site when possible, but the 30% cut is very significant indeed, given that you now have to compete with 70+ [game/RPG]maker games for visibility every day.
It is a pity gog went with the same price cut than Steam, as a lot of people already have it already installed.

Turjan

Arcane
So if Steam takes a bigger cut, price your Steam release differently. Doing platform exclusives only promotes piracy.
I always thought that the Steam cut offsets the losses from the companies being able to sell their games elsewhere while still using Steam for the download, workshop, etc. services, which doesn't cost them anything.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Idiotic move. Why'd you want to do that as an indie? People will rather pirate their game than install yet another crapware on their computers.
As a developer, I can understand being fed up with Steam taking a larger cut than Uber does from its drivers...
But by doing so, they alienate a lot of their player base indeed as epic store offers none of the functionalities of Steam (and the libraries won't transfer there easily...).
I think the best, from a player point of view, is to buy the game through the developer web site when possible, but the 30% cut is very significant indeed, given that you now have to compete with 70+ [game/RPG]maker games for visibility every day.
It is a pity gog went with the same price cut than Steam, as a lot of people already have it already installed.
As a developer, your job is to live in squalor and provide me with games at 75% off discounts.

ZeniBot

Cipher
if Steam takes a bigger cut, price your Steam release differently.
What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing except that the distributor makes less money and the consumer wins because they can shop around.
Developers need to start giving distributors reasons to reduce the royalty impact. Getting your product on as many systems as possible is not a bad thing.
This exclusivity shit is which is as good as Rebel Galaxy looks, I won't be buying it until they come to their fucking senses because I refuse to give Tencent one of the largest corporations in the world my shekels.

And that sucks too because I do like these devs and I think they should be a success but because they made an absolutely stupid move here I refuse to support them now.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Was going to get this game cause the only reason the last game was unplayable for me was the 2d plane bullshit. This one looked so much on the incline.

Now I am going to have to pirate this. Atleast put it on GOG, charge more if you want/need to. Increase the price by 30% or whatever. GOG. -_-

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am a poorfag and I was planning to pirate it either way so this changes nothing for me (unless Epic Store will have some powerful DRM in place).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Which, coincidentally, is why I give streamers and 'reviewers' zero credibility. They're paid off shills.

J1M

Arcane
Don't be daft, men. Epic obviously gave them a very large cheque to do this. As in a number with 5 zeroes after it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hope it makes up for the loss of sales they'd have gotten from Steam and GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom