Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a good, newer non-popamole shooter

entertainer

Arbiter
its funny to see skyway talk about exaggeration :lol:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Oh yeah, and btw Singularity (which I didn't play but whatev'), you can also check out Timeshift. I found it to be pretty enjoyable, even if it's not exactly groundbreaking.

Project: Eternity
Currently STALKER sounds best. This is basically an open-world shooter isn't it? Is there a "main quest" that you can follow or do you basically grind for loot in dungeons (sewers)?

MetalCraze said:
entertainer said:
MetalCraze said:
People just exaggerate.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well judging by two clans and public gamers I've played with since OA came out nobody complains about the bugs... [totaly misses the point]

You should get yourself some self irony, it would do wonders for you.

As for the OP.. Chronicles of Riddick EFBB is a decent mix of stealth and shooting, if you like a cool atmospheric sci-fi experience you should play it first.
CoP is very enjoyable but still flawed, as all STALKER games are. It's certainly the most polished of them though.
I could only stand 20 minutes of Singularity before being completely disgusted by it and uninstalling, was that a mistake? It seemed even way worse than Bioshock to me.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Freelance Henchman said:
Currently STALKER sounds best. This is basically an open-world shooter isn't it? Is there a "main quest" that you can follow or do you basically grind for loot in dungeons (sewers)?
Yes, open-world shooter. No real RPG elements but an RPG "vibe" thanks to limited inventory, weapon and armor modifications, side quests with multiple solutions and some C&C. There is an MQ and no grinding (where did you get THAT idea?)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Currently STALKER sounds best. This is basically an open-world shooter isn't it?
No. Unless by "open-world" you mean a dozen of 200m x 200m areas (or only 3 500m x 500m ones in CoP). CoP maps also give an impression that they were just quickly thrown together in an editor - levels are very empty and low on detail compared to original Stalker where they've spent more than 3 months on them. This especially shows in Pripyat which here looks like a bunch of boxes whereas in Stalker SoC it looked like a real city district where people do live (because it was modelled after respective district in the real city, not out of an ass)

Is there a "main quest" that you can follow or do you basically grind for loot in dungeons (sewers)?
Both. And it's very tedious - "main quest" is just an excuse to move you from one map to another. Quests suck hard (neverending FedEx in its worst, MMO form), combat is terribad (bandits in leather jackets can easily take a pistol clip to the body and a few shots from an assault rifle to the head), AI is extremely dumb (bots just spawn at point A and run to point B shooting everyone marked with an "enemy" flag, never showing a single sign of teamwork (compared to this ArmA2 AI that certain people here are known for criticizing feels like a tactical genius).
In other words the game is really overrated by people whose knowledge about non-corridor shooters ends with Stalker and a bunch of so called console "sandboxes".

relootz

Scholar
I played Stalker COP last month and i had loads of fun, recommended. I didn't play the older stalker games which apparently was a good idea since they aren't anywhere near as polished as COP.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Freelance Henchman said:
Judging from the current thread, Arma2 Operation Arrowhead seems to be a bugfest extraordinaire, and I really don't need to suffer through that sort of thing right now. I'll put that at the end of the queue for now I think.

Also, is skyway just hatin' or are the STALKER games really that flaky/unfinished?

ARMA=Buggy as fuck. Wait after 20 patches.

STALKER, better to play the first one as it's been polished and modded enough to be good. The most recent one is still waiting to be fixed.

Suchy

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
EDIT: current recommendations in the order of how appealing they look to me right now:

- STALKER Call of Pripyat
- Call of Juarez 2
- Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay
- Singularity
- Necrovision
- Arma2 Operation Arrowhead

Which one of these is the best and why? Discuss!

STALKER CoP - Oblivion with Guns, except this is actually fun to play. It has story (so-so), side quests (mostly crap), exploration (awesome) and some C&C. The writing is better than Oblivion, but that's pretty obvious.

Call of Juarez 2 - didn't play

Chronicles of Riddick - fun for a few hours, as long as you're into Diesel's cheezy one liners. The first part of the game had a bit of Deus Ex vibe: stealth, NPCs with actual dialogue lines and some side quests. Later, when you get a gun, it becomes popamole.

Singularity - didn't play

Necrovision - didn't play

Arma2 OA - the most unforgiving and the least popamole of the lot. The bugfest is an exaggeration, there's nothing game breaking and most of the glitches have been fixed in previous Arma2 patches. The campaign was too easy though, especially when compared to Arma2 base campaign. But missions were definitely better and more varied. Also this is the only game where the world is really open. Basically it's one huge map (~250 km2) with cities and villages, giving you complete freedom on how you want to approach the objective.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So OA with 2 multiplayer bugs is "buggy as fuck" but Stalker, the game that wasn't even finished, is polished?

The irony.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Get Metro 2033. It's fun in a bleak, paranoid, postapocalyptic way.

Or Dead Space if you haven't played it already. Just started it a few days ago and having an immense blast with it. Creepy, atmospheric, streamlined, pretty and gorey dismemberment fun makes for one compelling game.

baronjohn

Cipher
Suchy said:
Basically it's one huge map (~250 km2) with cities and villages, giving you complete freedom on how you want to approach the objective.

Meaningless freedom to approach the objective from any of the equally bleak and empty directions.

Thrasher

Erudite
Riddick

or Dead Space (if you can get over the annoying third person console controls and camera)

STALKER if you like infinite respawns of enemies and repeats of generic quests, pretty good otherwise.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The Dead Space camera did take some getting used to, but I honestly now love it. Damn view just feels so much more constricted and well, claustrophobic. It just works awesome in a horror game like this.

Thrasher

Erudite
I don't know about that. I think it's bad design to cause tension on the player because of bad player and camera controls, just so you can see your cool player outfit. Silly me...

But, yeah, by the end I got used to it. Many times it was nearly keyboard smashing frustrating (on hard mind you).

Also, no save anywhere made it more frustrating than it needed to be.

Still liked it though for the panics.

DefJam101

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Darth Roxor said:
Necrovision.

Hm, that does look interesting. I replayed Clive Barker's Jericho recently and I could do with more horror-shooty stuff. Anyone else played this and can recommend?
At its worst Necrovision is godawful, at its best it's like a tactical Quake game or.. something. Hell I don't know. It's not like Painkiller, in any case. It never becomes a full-on action shooter, even later on when things get crazy.

Butcher Bay is the most easily likable game you've listed, so I recommend playing that one.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you really want to play a good horror FPS, you should check out Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Great game, if you can stomach not having a gun in your hands at all times.

It plays a little like Butcher Bay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom