Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a good, newer non-popamole shooter

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Come to think of it, was that Stranglehold game any good? I kind of passed over it at the time since it looked like a poor man's Max Payne, but I remember someone here (Jarl?) saying they liked it.

Yeah, it was a pretty good shooter in the vein of Max Payne, not as good as either of the two MP games but a lot of fun if you switched your brain off and just shot at things.

It really emulates the Hong Kong action movies quite well, with there being no reloading, the environments being completely destructible (which also leads to environment-kills, like some neon signs from shops falling on enemies' heads) and you being able to do some cool stunts. John Woo and Chow Yun Fat having been involved in the design probably helped a lot in getting the atmosphere right.

Really, the destructible environments are the best part of it. Definitely worth trying out just for that. The best levels in my opinion were the hotel, the museum and the Chinese mansion in the end.

Oh, the boss-fights suck ass, though. They basically consist of you shooting your whole ammo at some gang leader with lots of HP. Blergh.
Game also has a cover system but you still do take damage when behind cover, cover can be destroyed, and it's generally better to do run and gun, so it's basically POPAMOLE cover system done right.

Ermm

Erudite
From lesser known Delta Force: Black Hawk Down was bit on a hard side sometimes altough I don't know when it came out or how old the game is because I played it 4 years ago but graphics were nice.
Prey was interesting but easy as fuck.
Call of Cthulhu is a must play.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a must play.
Chronicles of Riddick - very nice but in some kinda way forgettable after you complete it
Quake 4 - not so bad

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
anus_pounder said:
Serious Sam HD ? Y/N

Fuck yeah. I'm having a blast replaying this gem. Doom + Duke Nukem + HD , what more can you ask ? Big non-linear levels, furious gangbanging, awesome guns.

All I can say is ... :thumbsup:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Just play project reality, it's basically ARMA but more fun and less shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volrath said:
Just play project reality, it's basically ARMA but more fun and less shit.

Sorry to disappoint you, man, but original PR is a piece of shit. It is just Battlefield 2 without the targeting reticle. It's as close to ArmA as GoW to SWAT.

Dire Roach

Prophet
lightbane said:
What about Serious Sam 2? Is it as good as the 1st one?
If you played Serious Sam 1/second encounter first, chances are you won't like Serious Sam 2. I played SS2 first and noticed that, although the meat of the gameplay is the same in all SS games, some of the weapons feel more satisfying in the earlier games (uzis, plasma rifle, minigun) than in SS2. There are claims that SS2 features battles with less enemies thrown at you at the same time, though I didn't quite feel a significant difference. There's also a huge focus on cartoony humor in SS2 that was not very evident in the earlier games.

Might be worth a try in any case.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
SS2 is mediocre at best. For some reason Croteam decided to change most of what made the first games good and the end result feels like a bad parody of the originals. As DR mentioned it went for an overly cartoony style with silly weapons, silly enemies and flashy colours; most weapons now feel underpowered; enemies lack in variety and surprise factor, making most encounters rather banal while TSE managed to throw into new situations until the end; the levels are small and what may appear to be a big level is actually cut into five smaller parts, complete with invisible borders so you do not wander too far off; there is some focus on the story now, trying too hard to be funny while it just isn't; story is told in bad looking cinematic that are stretched from a lower size because consoles were the new standard back then; etc.

Avoid.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
CoD is way better than Stalker. Stalker is such a fucking shit game. Hell even Metro 2012301240240 whatever is a lot better then Stalker. Stalker is probably the worst FPS I have ever played. Worse than Daikatana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom