Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a good, newer non-popamole shooter

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So how are the Call of Duty games?
The call of duty games are all pretty fun, I've played the last couple. The 2 modern warfares are the best of the linear+scripted (half life style) type of FPS, and most of the areas have a few routes through them so you have some choice about how to approach a lot of areas. World at War is pretty decent, it's my favorite of the ww2 ones, and nazi zombies is fairly addictive until you regularly get to the later levels where the zombies have retarded amounts of health.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
So how are the Call of Duty games? Just saw that the newer ones just went down in price apparently: http://www.direct2drive.eu/5239/product ... e-Download
I thought you wanted a non-popamole shooter?

I've never played any of them, but they sure are popular. KKKodex opinion?

First one is mediocre but can be completed once I guess. After that it was a lightspeed decline with the last ones (MW, WaW, MW2) being horrible horrible shit. You just play a 4 hours long shooting range with the legitimate god mode and slowpoke enemies. And grenade indicators. It's like they were made for 12 years old kids who try to play shooters for the first time in their life.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Both CoD:MW games are solid shooters. Sure, they're pretty short, but missions are varied and filled with action and some nice set-pieces, so you won't be bored. Also, MW2 has co-op missions which might help squeeze some more gameplay out of it.

CrimHead

Scholar
Escape From Butcher Bay is easily one of the best First Person Shooters I've ever played.

Just saying.

Felix

Arcane
No it has leaning, but MW2 doesn't have it.

question: do you like infinite spawn ?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They are extremely polished AAA titles with some great set-piece fights in them. ie they are fun.

Dead Space and Escape from Butcher Bay also come highly recommended.

Raapys

Arcane
Yah, the Modern Warfare games are worth playing through once. Yes, they're dumbed down etc., but the campaign is well-made. Especially the sniper/stealth missions are good.

Also, maybe you could try Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2. It's dumbed down compared to the first Ghost Recon game, but being more of a tactical game in nature it's far more advanced than say the CoD series. Also far more difficult.

Angthoron

Arcane
Modern Warfare is only playable in multiplayer. Singleplayer is shit. Stupid, banal, boring storyline with the most cliché villains and events you can think of, infinite respawns until you reach a trigger point (Oh yes, it was so much fun waiting til all the moles would stop popping in that TV station and hey! They never stopped!), crap characters, over-the-top pathos and abominable "dialogues".

That all goes away in multiplayer though, which is actually surprisingly decent, especially with a bunch of friends to first statpad each others to get access to decent gear, and then to run around causing mayhem.

Freelance Henchman said:
Can't say I like it, but I don't mind it either if the rest of the game is OK.

It's about pushing through the combat zone rather than shooting everyone. Respawns can get annoying sometimes when there's shitload of action on screen going on, but at least it makes you think and adapt quickly. You can't just shoot-get hurt-hide to regen-repeat until everyone is dead, you need to push through to stop enemies ahead from respawning. Dumbed down or not, I find COD games to be pretty hard. Plus, IW were always good at greating a spectacle with their set pieces to keep you from getting bored. Great games they are not, but they are certainly fun arcade shooters if you're into that sort of thing.

Freelance Henchman said:
Hm, I also just saw that F.E.A.R. is only 10 Euros now on direct2drive including 2 expansions packs. Choices, choices.

If you haven't played it yet, do it. Not a very hard choice. First FEAR is a solid corridor shooter by the same people who made Condemned. Extraction Point is also fun. FEAR 2 is quite shitty though.

Angthoron

Arcane
FEAR is... okay. It's definitely not bad, although it's rather to the popamole direction thanks to Bullet Time (TM). You can always avoid using it of course, and just go oldschool pew pew.

The addons are pretty weak, though, but if you consider them a bonus to a main campaign you'd be buying for 10€, that's alright.

I also found myself enjoying Borderlands lately, although it's as dumb as it gets in a straight-out shooter with stats. Still, later levels actually pose challenge (although being killed just respawns you with a percentage of your cash removed).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm playing Bound in Blood right now actually. It's quite good. Not as much popamole as the usual shooter, since it's more about aiming and less about spraying, thanks to the historical guns. The coversystem is still shit, although a little better than usually, since it doesn't grant you the invulnerability-cover of most games.

The concentration-mode/bullet-time-thing is also less useful than usual, and the storyline isn't bad.

All in all, seems like an alright game

Project: Eternity
Alright, I discarded all yo niggaz' recommendations and just went with the oldie F.E.A.R. which I hadn't played yet. Thanks anyway for the help, I'll check out this thread again for when I'm done with that game!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Raapys said:
Also, maybe you could try Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2. It's dumbed down compared to the first Ghost Recon game, but being more of a tactical game in nature it's far more advanced than say the CoD series. Also far more difficult.

I tried playing GRAW recently, and God, I just couldn't. And not because it was 'too hard' or something. It was because of the utterly braindead teammate AI.

Freelance Henchman said:
Hm, I also just saw that F.E.A.R. is only 10 Euros now on direct2drive including 2 expansions packs. Choices, choices.

Make sure to also get the first expansion (Extraction Point). It's pretty much the same thing just with some added tweaks and a helluva more difficulty. Second expansion blows cock, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:

F.E.A.R. is not that good. Worse than Condemned (basically both games use the same "mystic shit is going down in horror movie's archetypical locations plus some sci fi stuff" formula, but because in FEAR you pack some serious firepower it isn't creepy at all). But you can give it a playthrough.

MetalCraze said:
F.E.A.R. is not that good. Worse than Condemned (basically both games use the same "mystic shit is going down in horror movie's archetypical locations plus some sci fi stuff" formula, but because in FEAR you pack some serious firepower it isn't creepy at all). But you can give it a playthrough.

Can't it be good in a non scary way? Like, a corridor shooter with AI that's fun to battle? I don't think anyone considers this to be scary anyway. Except for 14 year old audiences maybe. "Horror sequences" in FEAR are just for lulz.

Raapys

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
I tried playing GRAW recently, and God, I just couldn't. And not because it was 'too hard' or something. It was because of the utterly braindead teammate AI.
Can't remember how they were in GRAW1, but yeah they're useless in the second game too. Only exception is if they're set behind cover and the enemy are rushing you, which happens only on a handful of occasions. Then again, I might have been using them wrong, since I really just have them on 'follow me' and then I go ahead and rush the enemy.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Zwounds, I started playing Singularity, and while it's entertaining, it's gotta have one of the most retarded time-travel-related storylines EVER. The plot holes so far are so glaring and gigantic I keep hitting the desk with my head all the time yelling 'what the fuck, how is that possible'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom