Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a good, newer non-popamole shooter

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another recommendation for Call of Juarez. Both games. First one has some action-adventure like stealth and jumping stages, but they're okay and the shooting is a lot of fun. Second game has more fun shooting and no action-adventure elements, but you also have your brother with you in almost every mission, which I didn't really like that much since I prefer shooting all the enemies on my own.

Solid games, though, nice wildwest atmosphere and nice guns. Recommend.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
Can't it be good in a non scary way? Like, a corridor shooter with AI that's fun to battle? I don't think anyone considers this to be scary anyway. Except for 14 year old audiences maybe. "Horror sequences" in FEAR are just for lulz.
Yeah but I didn't find the action part to be great - mostly because of very tight spaces - not much area to manoeuver around, so often it's all about brute forcing through. I like my arcade shooters with more dynamics when it comes to movement too.

Twinkle

Liturgist
in FEAR you pack some serious firepower it isn't creepy at all.

That's the decline of Monolith :(. You had full arsenal in Blood, yet it delivered strong morbid atmosphere. I couldn't believe that studio responsible for NOLF and Blood could produce setting that generic, humorless and boring.

However, Monolith succeeded on the other front. FEAR is probably the closest equivalent to Hong Kong-style firefights in a videogame (sorry Max). Coupled with one of the best "corridor" AIs, combat was a fucking heavan to play and watch. It was probably the last linear, scripted shooter that I really enjoyed.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Come to think of it, was that Stranglehold game any good? I kind of passed over it at the time since it looked like a poor man's Max Payne, but I remember someone here (Jarl?) saying they liked it.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Come to think of it, was that Stranglehold game any good? I kind of passed over it at the time since it looked like a poor man's Max Payne, but I remember someone here (Jarl?) saying they liked it.

I enjoyed it too. Completely brainless shooter, but it was fun to cause mayhem. Destructible environments helped a lot. And I died a lot on Normal, I was surprised by that, expected it to be an easy game, what with the bullet time and all. Repetitive as hell though, it's a game best played in short sessions. But it does deliver on destruction part.
Seeing as how action in Max Payne took a lot from John Woo movies and Stranglehold was actually made by John Woo, I wouldn't accuse it of copying from Max Payne.
Anyhow it's very different from Max Payne in that it is way more over the top. Also it's story is horrible - that of standard John Woo flick. It's supposed to be a sequel to his "Hard Boiled", which I haven't seen, with the same actor playing the main role.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Just remembered another game - Prey. It doesn't get enough much-deserved love around here imo. It's got nice puzzles and gunfights, and level design was great. The architecture really felt out of this world. Worth to play it, even if only for some wtf/mindfuck moments.

MetalCraze said:
Like being unable to die ever

Press quickload when in spirit world = problem solved. But it's always easier to bitch I suppose. Does it hurt so much that other people can take advantage of not dying?
Prey is certainly not about challenge though, it's one of those rollercoaster ride experiences you either love or hate. I had fun with it. It also has some of the most awesome weapon models I've ever seen in a game, and generally nice visuals for Doom 3 engine game.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
MetalCraze said:
Like being unable to die ever

In the next episode of RPG Codex Skyway bitches about quicksave/quickload option. "It's, like, being unable to die ever! I want my permadeath!"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
Press quickload when in spirit world = problem solved.
So basically I need to LARP that I died and there is no permanent godmode in the game that can't be turned off?

Prey was certainly a new milestone in dumbing down in its time with permagodmode being the unbeatable feautre still. It isn't even a health regen - you just can't fucking die at all. The only punishment is that you have to play a terribad minigame each time you run out of HP to get more HP and continue from the exactly same spot.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Multidirectional said:
It also has some of the most awesome weapon models I've ever seen in a game, and generally nice visuals for Doom 3 engine game.

Wwwwwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :retarded:

The completely shapeless and lifeless metal tubes with some flashy effects and colourful lights are the most awesome weapons you've ever seen? Goddamn.

On a related note, Prey was superboring.

On an unrelated note, just finished Singularity. If anyone wants to play this game, make sure to turn off your brain first, as my previous statement that it has the most retarded and plot hole-ridden time travel story in gaming is still valid. Also, the (already easy) game turns to pretty much a joke around halfway when you get a chaingun - you never need another weapon. And even so, in the last level you get an Ubergimmick (that is obviously ripped off Half Life 2's Ubergravity gun) which doesn't increase the difficulty in a bit. But still, slaughtering hordes of futuristic specnaz was sorta interesting, and I could recommend it for a single playthrough, but I doubt I'll be returning to it anytime soon (if ever). Just, as I said, turn off your brain.

Goddammit, Raven, what the fuck happened to you, you used to be so cool :decline:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FIRST OF ALL THE ONLY GOOD NEW SHOOTERS ARE REALITSTIC MILITARY SHOOTERS BROI YOU CANT SHOOT PEOPLE IN A CLOSED SPACE THAT NEVER HAPPENS

BROS I LIKE FEAR GUNFIGHTS JUST SEEM FUN AND DIFFERNT GUNS SEEM TO BE USEFULL AND SCRIPTED OR NOT THE AI SEEMS TO BE SORTA SMART

I NEVER PLAYED SERIOUS SAME TILL THE HD SHIT CAME OUT BUT IT IS THE CLOSEST THING TO DOOM 1 AND 2 I HAVE SEEN FUN SORTA OVER THE TOP FUCK UP EVERYONE STUFF

BROS I STILL HAVE JUAREZ 2 AND DEADSPACE BUT I HAVENT TRIED THEM YET

GRAW AND THE NEW RAINBOW SIX STUFF SEEMED BORING ALTHOUGH I HAD A LITTLE FUN WITH THEM

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Rainbow Six Vegas is probably the only 'popamole' shooter that I really liked. The sequel was pretty much the same formula, but somehow it was meh.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Trivia: did you know that the word 'popamole' has been use 10 times in this thread (not countng the topic and this post)?

It's funny how even stupid memes quickly infest weak minds :smug: .

MetalCraze said:
The only punishment is that you have to play a terribad minigame each time you run out of HP to get more HP and continue from the exactly same spot.

Shouldn't that be even worse than dying for you? What's the difference between death and a stupid minigame if you end up reloading anyway :smug: ?

MetalCraze

Arcane
You don't reload in Prey. You just continue from the exactly same spot. Meaning that you can just take 50% of HP from alien you encountered - lose your HP - play that minigame - and immediately take the remaining 50% off of him.

This is worse than just abusing save/load feature. Because Prey's example doesn't even need any effort. Shooting spirits every time for 10 seconds just gets too repetitive after a while and that's it.
You don't even need to rethink what you are doing, you don't need to take a different approach, you just bruteforce your way through everything. And that's what makes Prey boring.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Yeah, it's the same as the system Prince of Persia 2008 uses where you're just instantly revived. It bears similarities to quicksaving, but only in the same way that lean functions bear similarities to automated cover systems.

I didn't mind the demo of Prey, but it certainly didn't enrapture me enough to even torrent the full game.

pipka

Savant
Yeah. Best part about Prey is it's demo. Still pretty nice mediocre shooter with brain-dead enemies. Time's better spent on something else

Darth Roxor said:
Multidirectional said:
It also has some of the most awesome weapon models I've ever seen in a game, and generally nice visuals for Doom 3 engine game.

Wwwwwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :retarded:

The completely shapeless and lifeless metal tubes with some flashy effects and colourful lights are the most awesome weapons you've ever seen? Goddamn.

Lifeless? The main appeal of most weapon models to me were the fact that they looked ALIVE. Shit, even grenades were green spiders. Maybe you don't remember the game too well?

MetalCraze said:
So basically I need to LARP that I died and there is no permanent godmode in the game that can't be turned off?

You don't need to do shit. How about just reloading a game to avoid a spirit world minigame, without LARP'ing anything? Is that too painful for you? Are you gonna argue it would not turn out the same way if you had died? I finished it that way, and believe it or not, I didn't feel hurt about it at all. I couldn't give less of a fuck if some other people were able to complete it in even less challenging way.
My point is, if you still hesitate to get it, you don't have to bitch about the things you can avoid in games too. Save your hate for inevitables or the like. You would still end up pressing quickload button, regardless of if you died or not, wouldn't you?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Multidirectional said:
Lifeless? The main appeal of most weapon models to me were the fact that they looked ALIVE. Shit, even grenades were green spiders. Maybe you don't remember the game too well?

By 'lifeless', I mean 'feel like cut out of cardboard' and 'do "pew pew" instead of manly shooting'.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DONT BE AN ASSOHOLE PRINSE OPF PERSIA IS A GOOD GAME

BROS PRINSE OF PERSIA AND ARAMAFAG ARE AWESOME ANYTHING ELSE GO FUCK A DOG

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
BLOBERT said:
BRO DONT BE AN ASSOHOLE PRINSE OPF PERSIA IS A GOOD GAME

Pop2008cover.jpg

This one? Pretty sure true bros don't like this one bro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom