Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Gerrard

Arcane
Get your eyes checked if you think that wallpaper or that wood is a high resolution texture.

7IJgq9c.jpg

In most shots you can't see it's shit thanks to the photo mode DOF garbage.

Gerrard

Arcane
12 years later, console games still can't match the texture quality of an Uktrainian PC game.
LOL!

That is not a PC screenshot. Compare the face of the character to the faces on these screenthots:
https://www.pcgamer.com/check-out-these-gorgeous-4k-screenshots-of-red-dead-redemption-2-on-pc/
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot that the list of improvements had "Remade all the environment textures so they don't look like shit"

• Increased draw distance
  • "Higher quality" global illumination and ambient occlusion
  • "Improved" snow trails
  • "Improved" reflections and higher resolution shadows
  • Tessellated tree textures
  • "Improved" grass and fur textures
  • HDR support
  • Unlocked resolution (4K and higher)
  • Ultrawide aspect ratio and multi-monitor support
  • Unlocked framerate
Oh wait it doesn't. It specifically mentions only "grass and fur" textures. Cope harder consoletard.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
12 years later, console games still can't match the texture quality of an Uktrainian PC game.
LOL!

That is not a PC screenshot. Compare the face of the character to the faces on these screenthots:
https://www.pcgamer.com/check-out-these-gorgeous-4k-screenshots-of-red-dead-redemption-2-on-pc/
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot that the list of improvements had "Remade all the environment textures so they don't look like shit"

• Increased draw distance
  • "Higher quality" global illumination and ambient occlusion
  • "Improved" snow trails
  • "Improved" reflections and higher resolution shadows
  • Tessellated tree textures
  • "Improved" grass and fur textures
  • HDR support
  • Unlocked resolution (4K and higher)
  • Ultrawide aspect ratio and multi-monitor support
  • Unlocked framerate
Oh wait it doesn't. It specifically mentions only "grass and fur" textures. Cope harder consoletard.
I don't even have a console you asshat. But I can clearly see that on the PC screenshots the textures do not look like shit, like you claim.

Sentinel

Arcane
Hm. No mention of any gameplay changes. Worrying indeed.

It's gonna be the same game of course, what did you expect? GTA5's PC version was pretty great though, I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
GTA5 was already pretty solid, it really didn't need any urgent changes. Or maybe I wasn't invested enough in GTA to care about whatever glaring flaws it supposedly has. RDR2 is very close to being perfect and seeing them squander an opportunity to fix its issues is a shame.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Moving away from the graphics sperging for a moment; if I found GTA5 an absolute pile of boring 'style over substance', but I love the western setting, is it worth getting this? I found GTA5's core loop of 'follow gps, shoot, watch cutscene' totally dull after 13 hours or so, is this more of the same but on a horse? I've not played a decent western since Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and this is soooo tempting...

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Moving away from the graphics sperging for a moment; if I found GTA5 an absolute pile of boring 'style over substance', but I love the western setting, is it worth getting this? I found GTA5's core loop of 'follow gps, shoot, watch cutscene' totally dull after 13 hours or so, is this more of the same but on a horse? I've not played a decent western since Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and this is soooo tempting...

It's pretty much the same.

RDR2 is much much slower tho. At times it feels almost meditative and the level of detail, i.e. immersive animations will get on your nerves, if you don't have the patience for something like that. The story is much more engaging compared to GTA5's blehfest and I think Arthur is one of the better video game protagonists, so it's easier to get invested. But at its core it's the same old Rockstar open world design like you descirbed.

The main missions follow a similar pattern in general, BUT, UNLIKE IN GTA, there is also a shitton of other activities, random & set encounters Fallout style, ambushes, bounties, landmarks, animals to hunt for crafting, treasure maps, achievements and fun challenges.

Once again, unlike GTA in general, where all you could do was main quest, 3 side quests and 100 hidden packages were all there was to do.

I'd borrow a PS for a couple of hours and try out the normal gameplay, tbh. You may find it either extremely soothing and pleasant, or boring and LARPy.

In general I found GTA V to be boring and devoid of side content outside of ?s and those fucking hundreds of collectibles, and RDR2 the opposite, to be fun and the world is smaller per square km, but packed in content and things to encounter.

Shit, even the collectibles are fun to find and check out; because you can inspect them like letters or photos in 1st person mode. And most of all, they are in sensible places and not under random rocks or trees like in GTA.

An example: in Lemoyne (post-Confederate state based on Louisiana) I stumbled on some church ruined in civil war, which happened to be full of "Lemoyne Raiders", that is hostile redneck gang members. What happened then was an ambush from both sides because I walked in carelessly (died the first time), but I could also approach them with stealth I think, shooting them quietly with a bow. It was like clearing out a cave in Morrowind, and after that I found a cigarette card, some upgrades for either PC or a horse, and some other loot hidden in a chest not visible at the first glance. Went east in the direction of the fields, which prompted Arthur to inspect it, draw the landscape in a journal, providing extra lore etc.

Now you'll never find something like that in GTA.

I've not played a decent western since Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and this is soooo tempting...

Play F:NV with New Vegas Bounties.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
but I love the western setting, is it worth getting this?

Sadly yes, if you played all other games there is.

Sadly I am coming to that conclusion. Manjuice Nutella has given me hope that it might be more entertaining that GTA though. When I posted about GTAV being shit, all I got was retards telling me to play tennis or yoga or some bollocks. The thing is, all of those felt completely pointless. At least Manjuice has intimated there is a worthwhile reward for doing the side activities in this game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Eh, I'd strongly disagree with that. The reward for the side activities are the activities themselves, because 90% of the time you'll get money and some consumables (there is no "activity complete - here's your reward" pop up like in tons of other games). One of the big problems of RDR2 is that money becomes useless rather quickly.
Hell, one of the hardest puzzles in the game involves statues in a cave, and your grand reward is... 1 gold bar, which in itself isn't worth much, but it's money given in a time when you already wiped out store stocks.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I got a 2 TB Hard Drive and a 445 GB SSD and I thought that'd be enough for most games. But now games are coming out with hundreds of gigabytes in size and they only work well on SSDs. I've been doing more shuffling round than a Remainer trying to explain the EU Army but maybe I need to just bite the bullet and get a larger SSD.

Or maybe devs can learn to fucking compress their shit properly? An impossible task for the same company who likes to send thugs round to people's houses to intimidate modders but mayhaps Rockstar can deign us with this small blessing of FUCKING COMPRESSION!
I wonder how much storage GTA VI is gonna take up on PC with the 100 GB discs on consoles. 200 GB? 250 GB? Yeah, these developers are really irresponsible.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I wonder how much storage GTA VI is gonna take up on PC with the 100 GB discs on consoles. 200 GB? 250 GB? Yeah, these developers are really irresponsible.

They know it doesn't really matter because SSDs are cheap now and most people don't install 20 games at once.

It does matter when I have to wait much longer to play my game and assets take longer to load while playing. I like how I can play my Switch games within a minute. Besides, most Americans still have data caps, throttling and fees for going over. I have Comcast, who imposes 1TB per month.

Cheap? For the cost of a 2 TB Samsung SSD I could buy two 6 TB WD Blues.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Last time I fired this up on the ps4, I just sat down and played poker somewhere and fell asleep on the couch, periodically waking up to check or raise before drifting off again. It was a very dreamlike experience.

Time before last, I rode my horse to where some quest started and by the time I got there I was already exhausted so I just saved and quit

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It does matter when I have to wait much longer to play my game and assets take longer to load while playing. I like how I can play my Switch games within a minute. Besides, most Americans still have data caps, throttling and fees for going over. I have Comcast, who imposes 1TB per month.

Cheap? For the cost of a 2 TB Samsung SSD I could buy two 6 TB WD Blues.

Most Americans geographically maybe, but most population wise? I've been in the US 38 of my 40 years and never had a cap, ever. I have always lived near cities though. If Americans were worried about caps and download speeds then digital and streaming wouldn't be taking off like the rockets they are. I'm guessing PC gamers who have internet issues are just written off by companies as collateral damage.

Also "quick access" is only a thing if you're bouncing around between more than a dozen games all the time, which is ridiculous and probably not a thing most people do. Again I'm talking about the majority here, not the "HARDCOREZ" on this website. Companies always cater to the mainstream, who probably install something like RDR2 and barely play anything else for a month or more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom