Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Ezekiel

Arcane
If Americans were worried about caps and download speeds then digital and streaming wouldn't be taking off like the rockets they are.
Well, their streamed movies are very compressed. Netflix only recommends 5 mbps for HD video.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Blu-ray quality is typically like 25 mbps, while UHD quality can be around 80 mbps. Netflix and other streaming services have these low requirements because most Americans have crappy internet. So yeah, watching hours of Netflix isn't that bad, but downloading two or three next gen games in a month could use up a ton of data that needs to be shared with other members of the household and rationed between other hobbies. Comcast has 27.6 million broadband customers. I think all of them have data caps. That's just one major provider.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Blu-ray quality is typically like 25 mbps, while UHD quality can be around 80 mbps. Netflix and other streaming services have these low requirements because most Americans have crappy internet. So yeah, watching hours of Netflix isn't that bad, but downloading two or three next gen games in a month could use up a ton of data that needs to be shared with other members of the household and rationed between other hobbies. Comcast has 27.6 million broadband customers. I think all of them have data caps. That's just one major provider.

The "most Americans have crappy internet" thing is based on vast rural areas, not the average experience. If you live anywhere near the suburbs of a big city you have access to cheap, fast internet. The US would not be embracing digital like they are if your story were common.

Edit: Just googled it and Comcast's caps only apply in certain states (mostly rural ones) and only on the lower bandwidth tiers.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane

The "most Americans have crappy internet" thing is based on vast rural areas, not the average experience. If you live anywhere near the suburbs of a big city you have access to cheap, fast internet. I'm sorry you're not in one of those areas, but again we're talking mainstream here and writing the minority off.

The US would not be embracing digital like they are if your story were common.
My city has 200,000 residents. I'm already paying 50 dollars a month for my data-capped Comcast service. There aren't many other options here. Our previous provider had no cap but much slower speeds. How many residents does a city need to have for you not to consider it rural? Your city doesn't represent most of America.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My city has 200,000 residents. I'm already paying 50 dollars a month for my data-capped Comcast service. There aren't many other options here. How many residents does a city need to have for you not to consider it rural? Your city doesn't represent most of America.

See my edit above. Comcast is only capped in certain states, mostly rural ones, and only on lower tiers of bandwidth. Upgrade your plan if you want uncapped internet. That's probably what most people are doing who download games and videos often.

I'm not saying this doesn't suck for certain people, and it's why a lot of console games still come out on disc, but it is what it is. As long as the majority don't have these issues companies are going to focus on the bulk of customers wanting digital experiences. Streaming and digital downloads are soaring in popularity because most don't have these issues, and as long as they're soaring in popularity it's what companies are going to focus on. Soon enough they'll be focused on streaming games and then I'll be like fuck you and will feel the pain.

Soon enough they'll be focused on streaming games and then I'll be like fuck you and will feel the pain.

Streaming games will never become the mainstream success the globalists want it to be precisely because of those rural areas. They're too busy living in their urban wealthy bubbles to see how impractical streaming is. Soy fuled cretins in California may gobble it up in droves regardless of latency problems but that's not enough of an audience to sustain streaming games. Nor do I think Internet will ever get good enough in rural areas for that streaming to ever be successful.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Streaming games will never become the mainstream success the globalists want it to be precisely because of those rural areas. They're too busy living in their urban wealthy bubbles to see how impractical streaming is. Soy fuled cretins in California may gobble it up in droves regardless of latency problems but that's not enough of an audience to sustain streaming games. Nor do I think Internet will ever get good enough in rural areas for that streaming to ever be successful.

I think disc/downloads will be available for most "big" titles for a while because of this, same as movies and music still are now. However there will be a ton of streaming exclusives to push certain services, just like there are now with shows and movies. Netflix don't give a fuck about rural Oklahoma, they write them off to court other areas. Google will do the same (and already have exclusives lined up).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
but I love the western setting, is it worth getting this?

Sadly yes, if you played all other games there is.

Sadly I am coming to that conclusion. Manjuice Nutella has given me hope that it might be more entertaining that GTA though. When I posted about GTAV being shit, all I got was retards telling me to play tennis or yoga or some bollocks. The thing is, all of those felt completely pointless. At least Manjuice has intimated there is a worthwhile reward for doing the side activities in this game.

I think deep in out heart we know that they are both shit. But at the end of the day I played over 1000 hours GTA Online and actually had fun and made some cool friends along the way.

He is also not correct in some ways, that GTA has no real side activities. for example the car collecting aspect alone is pretty much something that you can take very serious. Again: it's shit, but addictive. You can pimp up your cars and then meet with friends and race them or just take pictures from the mountain tops. We often jump from the mountains and paraglide or fly with a floatplane over the coast and go Scuba diving afterwards, there are various wrecks and spaceships etc. Afterwards we go to the pier and club people to death with baseball bats and then escape in our scuba gear. It's all pretty lame gameplay wise but since the technology underneath is so good, the hours go by and you have memorable fun with friends.

If Rockstar would ever make a real game with their technology, it could be the one game that we are all waiting for, but that's not gonna happen. The consoles are completely dominating their ideas of fun, and GTA V is basically just a shitty movie with open world sequences in between, even the online part works after this formula.

but I love the western setting, is it worth getting this?

Sadly yes, if you played all other games there is.

Sadly I am coming to that conclusion. Manjuice Nutella has given me hope that it might be more entertaining that GTA though. When I posted about GTAV being shit, all I got was retards telling me to play tennis or yoga or some bollocks. The thing is, all of those felt completely pointless. At least Manjuice has intimated there is a worthwhile reward for doing the side activities in this game.

I think deep in out heart we know that they are both shit. But at the end of the day I played over 1000 hours GTA Online and actually had fun and made some cool friends along the way.

He is also not correct in some ays, that GTA has no real side activities. for example the car collecting aspect alone is pretty much something that you can take very serious. Again: it's shit, but addictive. You can pimp up your cars and then meet with friends and race them or just take pictures from the mountain tops.

You are talking about GTA Online, since by "meet with friends" you cannot mean going drunk with Lamar or bowling with Roman. Which actually just reminded me that there technically were such side activities, just not memorable enough that I couldn't recall them when pressed as above lol.

I didn't play GTA Online, just the "Story Mode", which probably makes our experiences way different. Actually there was no "car collecting aspect" in Story Mode, since you could buy only 1 garage per protagonist fitting only 4 cars. I even wanted to drive around in and each of them had a shitty "personal car", like Trevor's shitty pickup, the game basically forced you to use by spawning it everywhere and any pimped car was constantly "impounded" to either retrieve it or lose it. From what I've seen, V and Online seem like 2 different games, and from what that Rockstar Social Club ads are showing, they get further and further apart, also due to how increasingly zanier those additions are (when I preordered RDR2, the app showed me they added laser guns right now).

I didn't play Red Dead Online, but I am planning to.

We often jump from the mountains and paraglide or fly with a floatplane over the coast and go Scuba diving afterwards, there are various wrecks and spaceships etc. Afterwards we go to the pier and club people to death with baseball bats and then escape in our scuba gear. It's all pretty lame gameplay wise but since the technology underneath is so good, the hours go by and you have memorable fun with friends.

I'd say that is the main difference between why I found GTAV boring, but loved RDR2, which is some actual interactivity. You can technically go "sightseeing" in GTA V but you can't do anything with this shit; whereas in RDR2 there's much more interactivity involved.

I.e: There were some animals in GTA V, that's technically true. You cannot do anything with them, they are not involved in a game in any way (aside from Trevor hunting deers, which novelty lasts for exactly 1 Stranger mission it is introduced in and then you can repeat it ad nauseam), and they do not even impact gameplay in any way since when I encountered a cougar on Mount Chilliad it was just running away and died in one shot. Aren't cougars supposed to be some fearsome predators? I've read on the internet that you can kill all of the 16 species and take their photos and then you get some achievement. Who the fuck would do that? What's even the point?

In RDR2 there are animals, sure, fucking 200 OF THEM, each of them getting upon interaction a "compendium" entry where you can read more about them, with different behaviors impacting hunting, you can skin their hides for money, new clothes, bags, ammunition mods or gameplay-impacting talismans, you can resupply your camp with their meat or just cook it yourself (you also have to eat in this game to maintain your health), preferably with some herbs found in the world for combat bonuses, you can damage the quality of their hides & meat if you don't use proper weapons, and that's all from the top of my head. By contrast GTA V animals simply existed and that's it. I'm not saying it's a perfect or anything, but the difference is like between Heaven and Earth.

Same thing with basically everything else, you can talk to pedestrians and Arthur can make some funny jokes, you can enter buildings out in the wilderness and interact with photos or diaries there, there are Fallout-style random encounters, shit can happen to you when you're camping out on some sadistic gang's territory, Arthur is noting and drawing some landmarks, objects, etc. in his journal, there are several crafting systems as mentioned, challenges are way more fun and "tangible" and yield rewards like bigger ammo bandoliers or satchels, instead of doing them just for the sake of doung them, etc, etc...

If Rockstar would ever make a real game with their technology, it could be the one game that we are all waiting for, but that's not gonna happen. The consoles are completely dominating their ideas of fun, and GTA V is basically just a shitty movie with open world sequences in between

I concur, that railroading scripted sequencing of everything is not doing this game a favor, as mentioned oftentimes.

even the online part works after this formula.

Oh no.

Like I said, it depends on what you consider to be a "worthwhile" reward (is storytelling enough? Lore? Or things such as uncommon, way faster horses you cannot buy otherwise, or OP items?), but it also doesn't feel completely pointless, "activity just for the sake of activity" either, there is enough of aforementioned interactivity that made all the difference in the world for me.

Drakron

Arcane
Look I am going to say this because it matters to me, I cannot play a game that I know will kill the MC and RDR2 does that by making the MC not only someone you know is dead from RDR but also another character you know will be dead in RDR.

I will also say I do miss when GTA was more about doing your own thing but as the series moved on, the more and more "curated" the experience became, there is less and less freedom of doing things because Rockstar focused more and more in setpieces and that mean the player must experience then (never going to forgive then for that "train chase" in GTIV that was FUCKING STUPID, its a fucking train that goes on LITERALLY rails and only reason I should fail the mission was not be within visual range when it reaches a station) so the ability to go on and do your own thing got lost, no ... there are checkpoints because there are setpieces and you must experience a recreation of some movie scene in the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
When was GTA ever about "doing your own thing"? Only GTA SA had something to do outside of main story missions, and it wasn't really that fleshed out.

Burning Bridges

The first GTA I tried was GTA 2 and it was consolish and railroaded very much like the last one. Rockstar has always been about consoles and one of the great could have beens of openworld gaming.

GTA Online can be a fun sandbox in clean public lobbies (there are easy tricks how to kick randoms from your own public lobby and play with your friends) but the single player part bores me to death. I am afraid in that respect RDR 2 is not for me but I will try it once it goes on a massive sale.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

I think disc/downloads will be available for most "big" titles for a while because of this, same as movies and music still are now. However there will be a ton of streaming exclusives to push certain services, just like there are now with shows and movies. Netflix don't give a fuck about rural Oklahoma, they write them off to court other areas. Google will do the same (and already have exclusives lined up).

Hey! I resemble that comment.

And oddly enough, I don't give a fuck about Netflix. Looks like we got ourselves a Mexican standoff!

Drakron

Arcane
When was GTA ever about "doing your own thing"? Only GTA SA had something to do outside of main story missions, and it wasn't really that fleshed out.

In Vice City at one point you have to chase down a motorcycle, it goes into backstreets until it reaches the mall ... you could drive down the backstreet or NOT, the only objective is to get the suitcase back and doesnt lock you to a specific route.
If it was made today you would have to be with x meters of the motorcycle and would have to drive down the backstreet after it, this is what I meant by doing your own thing ... in the past the objectives were simple as "get suitcase back before the motorcycle reaches its destination" and would ask nothing more then that, today it would block streets as well force the player to go down a specific route to get the suitcase back, this is what meant by freedom as freedom to complete the objective instead of having to go over a very specific path because "muh setpiece reference".

Sentinel

Arcane

In Vice City at one point you have to chase down a motorcycle, it goes into backstreets until it reaches the mall ... you could drive down the backstreet or NOT, the only objective is to get the suitcase back and doesnt lock you to a specific route.
If it was made today you would have to be with x meters of the motorcycle and would have to drive down the backstreet after it, this is what I meant by doing your own thing ... in the past the objectives were simple as "get suitcase back before the motorcycle reaches its destination" and would ask nothing more then that, today it would block streets as well force the player to go down a specific route to get the suitcase back, this is what meant by freedom as freedom to complete the objective instead of having to go over a very specific path because "muh setpiece reference".
Does running there or taking a car or a bike really make that much of a difference to you though? I really couldn't give less of a shit, that's such a shallow "freedom" to have. if the trade off for some shit I didn't care about is improving other aspects of the game I'm all up for it. Especially when Rockstar doesn't make RPGs. I've never gone into their games expecting freedom.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Does running there or taking a car or a bike really make that much of a difference to you though? I really couldn't give less of a shit, that's such a shallow "freedom" to have. if it the trade off for some shit I didn't care about is improving other aspects of the game I'm all up for it.

Yes, it does because you WERE meant to take your car and chase it down the backroad, its not "taking a car or a bike" even if that is true since GTA does force you to race in specific cars (like San Andreas with that FUCKING SPORTS CAR ON WHAT IS A FUCKING COUNTRY ROAD) its a question on how the player approaches the objective were simply put, you were free to do whatever you wanted to do instead of being locked into doing it in a specific way.

if it the trade off for some shit I didn't care about is improving other aspects of the game I'm all up for it.

Oh really? "other aspects of the game"? like fucking what?

Rockstar loves their homages and references but that is going AT the expense of INTERACTION and no, doing it EXACTLY AS THE DEVELOPER INTENDED is not interaction, games must be interactive and not "Press X to continue" for a cinematographic experience, if I want to watch a movie I will go watch a movie, not play Vice City to see nu-Scarface and that is the problem with games these days were they REALLY want to be movies but that comes at the cost of players having the freedom to interact with the gameworld, this is why I dont play JRPGs that much because they are entirely linear affairs.

Sentinel

Arcane
Oh really? "other aspects of the game"? like fucking what?
Like the story and set pieces. Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best out of any Rockstar game yet, precisely because the story missions are so curated and (most) are controlled by a specific vision. You still have the space outside the missions to fuck around with, and it's not like it was sacrificed for the main story either. When I say "story", I mean all aspects that involve it, particularly music. RDR2's use of music rivals Nier Automata as the best ever.
I don't remember anything from any GTA game aside from VC's art direction and music, and 2 GTA 5 missions. I remember almost the entirety of RDR2 and can name at least 5 different great moments and I haven't touched it in 1 year. And from my perspective, the trade-off was a nobrainer - tone down the small freedom that existed for a massive increase in story quality.

PS: Another thing to note is that despite the meme that "RDR is just GTA with horses", they're different franchises. GTA 5 for example expanded on the prequel's freedom with actual freedom in the heists missions and some assassinations, but RDR has always been completely linear.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

haven't touched it in 1 year.

thinking.png

Sentinel

Arcane
Yes?
If you are implying I remember RDR2 more because I played it more recently, think again:
g7zxeSW.png

OSM1Rkv.png

I decided to continue replaying Vice City on my PS2 that still works though, because the PC version is all sorts of weird and missing graphical details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom