Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Orchestra: HoS is available for purchase on Steam

Quilty

Magister
One thing that bothered me when I played was that people didn't stay together and fight in groups. Instead everyone just dispersed. The feeling that we were achieving something as a group was sorely lacking. Now, this might not bother some, but it feels wrong to me. (Then again, maybe I was just playing with bad players.)

The maps also felt way too small, cluttered and too fast. I seem to remember that RO1 had big, open maps. RO2, at least on the maps I tried, often boils down to rushing headlong into enemies. Couple that with no group cohesion, and for me the game becomes an ugly stepchild of RO1 and Bad Company 2.

I dunno, maybe I just need to play more.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Definitely needs more squad cohesion, but I did notice that I got rewarded for protecting my squad leader once (some random on a pub) so if you had a good group of friends who work well together, or a clan, you can take an entire squad, and act as a powerhouse, being able to spawn in on your squad leader, you can settle into a good solid position and make it difficult to be pushed out, so long as your squad leader doesnt mind hiding to keep himself alive and allow you to continue to spawn.

I do agree that the maps can feel quite small, especially with 64 players on apartments, spawning in to see a sea of Russians/Germans jockeying for positions at the front, FallenFighters feels large enough for 64 players, for 32 it feels like an enormous battlefield, with the release of an SDK however, id expect that more maps will crop up.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Most probably today there will be a new patch which also includes 3 new maps (if I understood correctly while taking out the 'old' 3).

I suspect that Teamwork in Public Servers will never reach the depth of clan warfare. But I noticed that giving orders to firing teams / the whole squad as squad leader makes a high percentage of players actually going for the objectives you set them. Maybe the players just need more direction from the leader classes.

bussinrounds

Augur
Do they have any non-respawn game modes ? Respawning just makes ppl run around like assholes, and gives the game a shitty run-n-gun COD feel, because they don't really care if they get killed.

It takes the intensity out of it.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Yes, it's called Countdown and is one of the three game modes.
There is a attacking and a defending team. Both teams fight over an objective on the map that the attacker has to capture.
If the attackers win, the game moves on to the next objective and everybody that died respawns.

To offset the attacking teams' disadvantage, they can 'call in reinforcements' (respawn the fallen soldiers of the attacking team) a couple of times per map.

As soon as the defenders successfully defend an objective (either by eliminating all attackers or successfully preventing the objective from beeing captured for a set amount of time), the teams switch sides and the former defending team has to capture more objectives than the attacking team (or, if the attacking team did manage to capture all objectives, they have to do it quicker).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There goes my gaming evening.

Steam was steadily counting down to release untill it decided to start counting upwards again. +1 hour. +2 hours. +3 hours. Then it slowly went down again untill it stayed at 1 hour. For the last three hours that is.

And now it decided to install a last minute patch. One that is 2gb. With all the bandwith that would make my old 9600k modem laugh.

:x

EDIT: Oooooh, goodie! The time suddenly jumped up to 3 more hours till release. Eiher they're going for a 23:59 release or they can say bye bye to that 13th as a release date.

EDIT: And now the release date has changed to the 14th. This is fun!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
3:10 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: Once again
3:10 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: since people don't seem to get the memo
3:10 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: DO NOT WATCH or Pay Attention to the release timer on steam
3:10 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: it will make you a sad panda
3:24 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: The game hasn't been delayed at all. As we've mentioned multiple times before
3:24 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: we are working on the game up until the last minute
3:25 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: so there is no firm time other then today
3:25 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: For some of you, that isn't the same today as everybody else
3:25 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: all I can say to that is, move to a better time zone (especially ones without daylight savings, those suck)
3:34 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: Ahh the trolls are out in force today. And people who are trying to blow this out of porportion
3:34 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: No, I don't hate europeans. But when we announce a day, it is within our time zone. That is how we have always worked, and will continue to work
3:35 pm - (╯°□°)╯︵ [sdız]: Time zones have always been a tricky concept for people on release day
3:35 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: Ask the Austrialians how they feel. They always get shafted by the day
3:35 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: As to the count down timer. Valve usually throws up a temporary time for release, and nobody remembers to change it to something more reasonable until late
3:36 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: happened with RO 1, happened with KF, has happened with a numbre of third party games
3:36 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: there is no conspiracy here

I like the false sense of entitlement and the fake indignation at the reactions. What I like best however is how the release date has changed from the 13th to the 14th for anyone and everyone. Fucker.

Steve

Augur
Every tripwire game release has been fucked up, give it atleast about 7 more hours.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had a GREAT match as a Commander with some great squad commanders.

Death from above...

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Im getting some abysmal lag that was not here in Beta. I am sad, also stats are not tracking, also sad.

Secretninja

Cipher
Good so far, but very buggy. I had one match where I couldn't equip my weapons and fire for about 5 minutes. Also, tanks are occasionally becoming invisible unless they are actively moving or firing. Kind of disconcerting to run forward and all the sudden have a tank decloak and blast you in the face.

Steam name is s3cr3tn1nj4 add me if you would like to play together.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I have now played through the German SP Campaign and a couple multiplayer matches.
Can't find much stuff that has been changed since the Beta.

There were some bugs related to achievements (unlocked the one for the completion of the campaign after mission 3 and never unlocked any of the training achievements that starts with mission 1).

The Campaign itself was a string of modified countdown matches: You get reinforcements in a set interval, not only after you successfully attacked and objective. The other team also seems to get reinforced in set intervals. Also when you die, you take over one of your teams' bots. So you won't have to sit out until the reinforcement wave.
Each mission was accompanied by a video intro/briefing and extro. IMHO they were well done.

While playing the campaign you are able to toy around with some of the unlockables what was kinda neat.

I was quite impressed with the bot AI. Utilizing cover, hopping over stuff, crawling, ducking - the whole navigation and movement routine.
But there were also some instances where they would get caught up on a fence and couldn't move anymore or where three guys were just running in circles.
But maybe that was just even more awesome AI stuff displaying some kind of shell shock? ... nah, wouldn't want to give them too much credit now, would we? :)

As Cthulhu mentioned not all of the stats are working as of now. Also, the Deluxe Edition goodies aren't unlocked. A developer stated that they have found the bug and will fix it ASAP. But of course they have to submit the patch to Steam and they have to apply it to their servers. So I figure it will take until tomorrow or even later until the stats (and more important the level up mechanic) are completely up and running.

The MP games I played ran smoothly, I encountered actually no bugs whatsoever.
But because the game just got released most people didn't know how to use their classes. Squad leaders throwing no smoke grenades (only squad leaders and commanders carry smoke grenades - which help a lot when attacking an objective), don't assign objectives; Commanders using no artillery/recon planes; MG Gunners run n' gunning etc.
But that was to be expected. After a couple of weeks this will inevitably improve when the players had the chance to fool around with the classes more.
On the up side, I was able to rack up some respectable kills due to my prior knowledge of the maps, so I had the opportunity to abuse some of the 'kill spots' that were of course widely only known to the beta testers.

All in all I had a fun experience and will surely sink more hours into this game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The SP campaign is basically training against bots and slowly getting to know the different mechanics. It's nice though and the intros are done very well. The mp is a bit buggy at times. Often lags and sometimes feels a bit jarring and jagged. It really needs some patching but I can see this turn into a hell of a mp game.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Had some fun in MP earlier today, some guy was RAGING all over the in game voice (which I wouldnt mind muting/turning down, I use mumble with a bro, and hearing some kid squeak out that ZOMGWENEEDTOCAPDAPOINT gets old, but the rage, how sweet it is to hear it on day one) quite a few keyboard warriors and armchair enthusiasts, I tend to not watch chat and just concentrate on killing.

RE: earlier lag, I suspect it was due to the server I was on, not capable of supporting 64 players, game is hungry when you get more people. Shitty admins being shitty and cheap.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do they use Steam servers or are the servers of the developer ? I wondered how this works. Sounds like a nice game, how does it compare to RtCW or rather ET ?

Satan

Educated
all games on steam use valve's steam servers. if you mean mp games then it's probably as in the RO - there is a master server which is hosted by devs, but all the servers are on local computers.

ET is different from RO. ET is arcade shooter, while RO is realistic (though not as ArmA)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Depends on which game mode we're talking about. It's definitely more tactical than ET. You need to watch your surroundings and take cover every few seconds. Personally I hate Firefight. It's just not very fun. Territory is just your typical "capture this, capture that" game mode, and basically everyone's all over the place. Not a fan of that, but it's okay. Countdown is really the winner for RO2, which is quite similar to ET and ETQW's gameplay. In CD, battles typically become very concentrated around one central area, and you'll really need to coordinate well with your team. It all coalesces into a massive popamole match, except you have to adapt and change strategies on the fly since 1-2 shots kill you, making it very tense and a lot of fun.

Beta was buggy as hell for me, but when the game worked, it's poetry in motion. Still preloading on Steam though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Did I say it was kinda buggy? Make that as roach infested as a Thai hostel. Constant crashes, glitches and other assorted nasty. It is fun when it works and sometimes even when it doesn't. The amount of crybabies is hysterical as well.

Am going to give it a rest soon I think. When I even get all sorts of steam achievements for shit I never did I think it is save to say that the game needs some more time with the dev.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Bugs, yeah, ive had a few, quite a bit more first week of beta, quite a few crashes, a few ini tweaks and drop some settings, ran beautifully, got several hours sniping bastards over 200m in FallenFighters with the bolt action. Second patch that added punkbuster gave me some headaches, fiddled with settings, my meagre rig running mostly low/med handles the game, sound dropped out a few times. End of Beta when stats were working was pretty decent, havent fiddled with settings much, and have crashed twice since playing, although I did manage to break the SP Campaign in Station, I would restart mission and die, then be a pair of hands running about the map, or if I tried picking up a secondary gun, it would dissapear and I would just have my MP40. IDK WTF is going on there, hopefully the devs do.

SP aside, I got it for the Multiplayer aspect, PC exclusive, and the rage from CoD kids that find out they cant just shrug off a rifle bullet from 200metres, no, they just fall over dead. I detest Standard (Relaxed) Realism servers with its kill cam and floating name tags on friendlies half the map away, eugh.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Pika-Cthulhu said:
SP aside, I got it for the Multiplayer aspect, PC exclusive, and the rage from CoD kids that find out they cant just shrug off a rifle bullet from 200metres, no, they just fall over dead. I detest Standard (Relaxed) Realism servers with its kill cam and floating name tags on friendlies half the map away, eugh.

I didn't know they had a "Relaxed" setting. The beta's default setting was awesome precisely because you had to recognize your team mates by their uniforms. It's stupid to be able to see who's on your team, when part of the tension comes from not knowing in that split instant whether you're targeting friend or foe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom