Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Orchestra: HoS is available for purchase on Steam

baronjohn

Cipher
Well, I tried the 'demo' and I say this game just demonstrates that realism in FPS makes for shit gameplay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except there's next to none realism in RO2

It's just Call of Duty with one hit deaths and tank damage system lifted from OFP plus popamole cover.
It can be fun though, but I don't get why people claim it's realistic.

Secretninja

Cipher
I don't get why people claim arma is realistic. I mean you get shot in it and you don't fall out of your chair dead.

Drakron

Arcane
h7ZbA.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Countdown Mode: Countdown mode is a single life gametype that is governed by a short countdown timer. Players will have to attack or defend a series of objectives, but with only one life per objective. If the attackers capture the objective, all players respawn and move to the next objective. If they do not capture the objective before the timer expires, they lose. Maps will have "key objectives" which when taken will allow the attacking team a single respawn on a later failed capture.

It's an incredible buggy release but goddamn do I enjoy that Countdown modus. Shame as well that most servers are either empty or shit deathmatch or keep on the goddamn same map all the time.

Lumpy

Arcane
Drakron said:
<You do not actually own the game, in the sense that you may not change and/or resell it, or charge other people for playing it>
<Red Orchestra started as a free mod for UT, then a new Red Orchestra stand-alone was made and sold; if you make any mods with the RO2 engine, you may not sell them>
<You must not cheat in our competitive online game>
Truly shocking stuff. :o

Erzherzog

Magister
Hey, saw you on the TWB server secretninja. I was Pa++on.

I'm having trouble with it so far but I did manage to lead the last match I played today in kills so I guess either get used to it or everyones on that learning curve.

Cover is...not very useful. I'd say most often, find a spot to prone or maybe if you're at quite a range but because of penetration being stealthy still beats being defended. Surprise is the best armor.

Really, really want to unlock the semi-auto rifle since that's my main gun. Blargh, unlocks, why do they exist? Fucking CoDfags.

Secretninja

Cipher
It is unlocked from the getgo if you manage to snag a spot as an elite rifleman. I have been playing mostly as commander, because i get to use my g41 and guarantee a non moron is in charge of the artillery.

Erzherzog

Magister
ATM I don't even worry about arty because no one's calling it in right now anyways. Too busy learning/adjusting.

You playing at all tonight?

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
The relaxed (standard is what its being called now to placate the CoDkids) realism is not a server type I like. In the server browser its represented as a 5 pointed Star, the skull is 'realism' mode, where there is no kill cam, you can only see nametags over guys in your immediate vicinity, no radar, and various other tweaks. I prefer that mode when playing as it doesnt give away my supersecretsquirrelhideyhole, and seeing where you just got sniped from is a cheap mechanic when one bullet means lights out. Learning the uniforms isnt difficult, and the delay in kill confirmation leaves you wondering if you did kill that bastard back there or not (or someone else managed to finish him off, but you wont know, as it only registers your kills)

RE: Realism. Yeah, its not realistic, nobody fucking respawns in a war, let alone in a forward position on their squad leader.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That EULA is kinda sad, "you do not actually buy the game" are we already arrived at that spot now.. like the hate on cheaters though, but EULA and jokes ? 24$ is not bad tho, maybe after some bugfixes.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Man, sometimes this game can be so much fun despite the bugs that you can almost see how cool it could be and hopefully will be when they patch it up. Then it crashes.

And fuck stats not upgrading.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I'm really at a loss as to what they did, as the second patch for the beta, when it was on Barracks pretty much none stop, ran extremely well and lag-free, albeit the map vote menu was messed up.

Whatever they changed between then and now seems to have borked a lot of things.

Erzherzog

Magister
It's gonna be a hell of a game in just a matter of weeks though, really enjoyed Red October Factory and of course Apartments is already the fan favorite.

Most of what they did from a design perspective was solid. If I stick on realism servers I'm gonna enjoy myself a lot.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Trash said:
Man, sometimes this game can be so much fun despite the bugs that you can almost see how cool it could be and hopefully will be when they patch it up. Then it crashes.

And fuck stats not upgrading.
Is the game not a camp-fest where you wait for someone to get bored and wander out where you can shoot him?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Depends on the map. Most of them are in urban enviroments so there are all sorts of ruins, gates, wrecks, walls, cellars and trenches to run around in. The objective based gameplay also keeps things more fluid with scoring kills in objective zones being worth much more than outside. That with a timer makes the incentive to get close and personal quite worth it. Besides, chargin in with a bayonet is already being called OP by camping crybabies. :D

Still, the game as it is simply is not worth it. With a few patches it might become great. As it is it simply is way too buggy to be more fun than frustration.

EDIT: Come to think of it. Play on a server with the 'kill location cam' enabled. Roughly knowing where the shot came from that kills you is a fucking awesome way to get rid of lame campers. If you want to play as a sniper remember that fire and manouvre are the motto of the day. Else you may get one or two kills before you say hi to mister grenade or his friend mister bayonet. And fuck those whining about the 'realism' of that cam. Even a paintball match has more of that than this game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/rev/redorches ... eview.html

The derp is strong with this one. In particular, I quote this from the review:

But nonetheless, I found these controls pretty clunky; they require you to hold one of two buttons and then click your commands on the screen. I much preferred the simplicity of Rainbow Six Vegas and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, where you have only a couple of guys under your command and only a few instructions to give.

:retarded:
Breaking news: playing games requires you to press buttons.

Not surprisingly, the same reviewer also mentioned in his review of Sengoku:

Before going any further, I should make something very clear: I learned early on that this isn't really my kind of game. To be blunt, I found it boring as hell. When I play a strategy title, I like a lot of action, and maybe a chance to destroy some enemy troops in a horrifically gory manner—anything to take my mind off the genre's more fiddly aspects for a bit. I certainly don't gravitate toward games that focus on simulating social relationships, or that require me to put a lot of effort into my every decision.

I'm not taken aback, but it doesn't make me any less disgusted with the general decline.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Trash said:
EDIT: Come to think of it. Play on a server with the 'kill location cam' enabled. Roughly knowing where the shot came from that kills you is a fucking awesome way to get rid of lame campers. If you want to play as a sniper remember that fire and manouvre are the motto of the day. Else you may get one or two kills before you say hi to mister grenade or his friend mister bayonet. And fuck those whining about the 'realism' of that cam. Even a paintball match has more of that than this game.

What do you mean by that last line, about paintball and all ?

It seems like the idea of a kill-loc-cam is a good one, because it just adds a bit to the current 3d speakers /effects that already exist to pinpoint enemies where possible. Or does it make it too easy ? I assume the cam only stays there for a couple of seconds ?

Might pick this one up after they do some patching, assuming the community is strong enough. IE enough people on realism servers.

snoek

Cipher
Also bought the game, is quite buggy and laggy still but i sense great potential..
Punkbuster is a bitch though, I keep getting thrown out of games because of 'speedhack detected' stuff
It was better this morning but still not entirely gone (I read it had something to do with wifi) so for me this game is effectively broken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom