Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*redacted*

oscar

Arcane
I don't quite get it though. If keeping Rome from becoming Christian is enough to potentially erase us wouldn't pretty much anything we do risk that further back?

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm actually slightly confused about that too. @Cassidy, just how much leeway can we safely have in imfluencing history?

Cassidy

Arcane
I don't quite get it though. If keeping Rome from becoming Christian is enough to potentially erase us wouldn't pretty much anything we do risk that further back?

Angartýr threw his life away in the icy wastes because of losing his family after a conversion by the sword, and became immortal after that. Not killing or getting too many people killed and not getting in a love relationship before the year he was born, not inducing certain ethnic groups to settle elsewhere rather than where they did historically, specially with Nordic looking people, etc, should be enough to prevent him from never being born. Altering the circumstances of his first death, by for example changing history in a way that ensures his family will never be killed, could be very, very risky.

Baltika9

Arcane
So if we go to China/Japan/India/Greece and start fucking with their history, we should be good?

And why would love relationships effect our survivability, if Angartyr is infertile anyway?

And I must ask this: if we end up a female, will the Devourer be a romanceable character?
:troll:

Esquilax

Arcane
Eh... the neanderthal thing seems a little too lulzy and stupid for my liking. It's the Ice Age and there's no civilization - what the fuck are we supposed to do there? I suppose we'd see the beginnings of a lot of the Neolithic cults that would become the genesis of religion starting here, but overall I just don't see it as giving us a lot of interesting opportunities. Even without the danger of erasing ourselves, I don't get why everyone is getting so excited about the possibility of milking old Codex memes.

Infiltrating a Nazi Cthulu cult on the other hand...

That being said, I also like the Roman Empire possibility. I'm sure that Julian the Apostate knows all about the Great Devourer and the Old Ones, which is probably why he'd be attempting a return to paganism. In fact, almost all of these options are interesting.

iGnaCeZ

Literate
1. Since how would we even begin our work elsewhere?
but the Devourer explained that these events had a lot to do with the end of mankind, and that behind such rising tyranny the tendrils of the Great Old Ones lied. <--- Love the actuality of this

Cassidy

Arcane
By the way, if it wasn't made clear before, any option other than 1 naturally implies a penis is more important than all Angartýr has achieved before falling into the trap, for it will involve pretty much a fresh start, with no allies with no resources, with no knowledge of where he would end, and not even of the spoken language there.

Check your time travelling privilege.

:M

Baltika9

Arcane
Which is why 2 is a decent idea: we can start blending in rather seamlessly. The languages of those times were rather simple, and a cunning linguist like Angartyr should have no problem learning them.

Esquilax

Arcane
We would blend in with neanderthals pretty easily. But it isn't Angartyr's language skills that will matter, but rather his tracking abilities that are going to be useful. His language skills would probably be useful if he comes at the time of Julian the Apostate - while our protagonist doesn't speak Latin*, he does speak Greek, which should allow him to get by somewhat. And of course, it would be useful in the Illyrian timeline, along with his skills in battle and leadership. Ancient Greece seems to be the best fit for our guy.

In terms of parlaying our skills to something useful, the Nazi timeline is probably the worst. While our hero is of fine Aryan stock, he speaks Old Norse. Worse yet, you don't bring a sword to a gunfight. But goddamnit, travelling in time in order to defeat Nazis before they summon the Great Old Ones is just such an awesome concept that I'm having trouble letting go of it, despite my better judgement.

Also note that choices 7 through 13 all are in Angartyr's time line, while only 14 would put us back into our timeline. This puts us in an interesting dilemma - we arrive too early, and we risk wiping ourselves out if we fuck with history too much. Arrive too late, and the Myrr family has already set their plans into motion and stopping the Great Old Ones will be even more difficult than the fuck-up we had just now. The sex change seems to be our best shot to set things right again.

* @Cassidy, does Angartyr at least speak a little bit of Latin? I'd think that being surrounded by so many Christians would have at least exposed him to a little bit of it. If he sucks at speaking it, he ought to at least be able to understand some of it.

Baltika9

Arcane
I wonder if we'll be able to safely help out our bro Bernhard with his family.

dab

Augur
Project: Eternity
1) I want to be a vengeful creepy ninja girl who punishes her former tormentors
Nice update btw

oscar

Arcane
I actually think we could pull off the Julian the Apostate thing. Or jump into the Illyrians and ensure a stronger Hellenic legacy by siding with Alexander (I know virtually nothing about the mysterious Illyrians).

In terms of parlaying our skills to something useful, the Nazi timeline is probably the worst. While our hero is of fine Aryan stock, he speaks Old Norse. Worse yet, you don't bring a sword to a gunfight. But goddamnit, travelling in time in order to defeat Nazis before they summon the Great Old Ones is just such an awesome concept that I'm having trouble letting go of it, despite my better judgement.

We won't be fighting them Esquilax!

Baltika9

Arcane
They're the fuckers causing the apocalypse, so yeah, we will be.

Or we cold just highjack the Nazi Party and replace Hitler with Angartyr...

...goddammit, now I really want to flop.

Esquilax

Arcane
I actually think we could pull off the Julian the Apostate thing. Or jump into the Illyrians and ensure a stronger Hellenic legacy by siding with Alexander (I know virtually nothing about the mysterious Illyrians).

Not much is known about them, but they were a pretty powerful force in the Balkans for a while. We'll probably be running into Thracians and even some Celts at around this time, so definitely lots of different groups of people. That being said, Cassidy probably isn't intending this to be super-accurate historically, so we may not run into anybody else but Greeks.

We won't be fighting them Esquilax!

Well, we'll either by trying to take them out from the inside or trying to take them out from the outside. Nevertheless, the Nazi cultists must be stopped!

Baltika9

Arcane
Debating between 1 and 6. Angartyr's sword is a Big Deal, but so is Freyjana's father, the dude has a lot of pull in the merchant circles, and he's been her supporter the longest.

Also, you all suck for forgoing :flamesaw: and Cleve.

Wait, Codex has actually turned down the opportunity to play with Neanderthal or Nazis? What is happening to this place?

Voting 1. He is our only real ally, and one that is reasonably powerful and rich and knows what is at stake. Though I'm really missing that damn sword of ours (not that it really helped us the last time).

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, Codex has actually turned down the opportunity to play with Neanderthal or Nazis? What is happening to this place?
I know, right?

Going for 1, and immediately after we save the father, we must go retrieve Angartyr's sword. Anything that can suck out blood and wound extraplanars is useful. It is also a very powerful symbol.

Right, but number 3 is also important to consider. We had considerable resources as Angartyr besides the sword that must not go to waste.

Baltika9

Arcane
Right, but number 3 is also important to consider. We had considerable resources as Angartyr besides the sword that must not go to waste.
We're a master thief/warrior hybrid now (which makes us an assassin, I suppose?). If we won't be able to forge documents later, then we can always steal them. I'm concerned more about priority targets.
For instance, perhaps they may just steal the sword if we delay it, and use it for their purposes.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That sword is also a very phallic symbol for our 18-year old wench to be carrying around.

Remember, Agantyr never aged. Freyja won't either. Always stuck in the body of an 18-year old woman. What better way to compensate by wielding a nasty, life-sucking sword? :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom