Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remedy's Max Payne 1&2 remake in the Northlight Engine

ADL

Prophet

Remedy Entertainment Enters Agreement with Rockstar Games for New Max Payne 1&2 Project
Remedy Entertainment, the creators of Max Payne, are pleased to announce that they will remake the iconic Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne video games in a new development agreement with Rockstar Games.

The relationship between Remedy and Rockstar Games dates back to the original release of the critically acclaimed Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne games, developed by Remedy and published by Rockstar Games. Both games left an indelible mark in popular culture, lauded for their neo-noir atmosphere, groundbreaking storytelling and “bullet-time” gunplay.

“We were thrilled when our long-time friends at Remedy approached us about remaking the original Max Payne games,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games “We are massive fans of the work the Remedy team has created over the years, and we can’t wait to play these new versions.”

“Max Payne has always held a special place in the hearts of everyone at Remedy, and we know the millions of fans worldwide feel the same,” said Remedy CEO, Tero Virtala. “We’re hugely excited to be working with our partners at Rockstar Games once again for the chance to bring the story, action and atmosphere of the original Max Payne games back to players in new ways.”

Under the development agreement signed today, Remedy will develop the games as a single title for PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S using its proprietary Northlight game engine. The game’s development budget will be financed by Rockstar Games, the size of which will be in line with a typical Remedy AAA-game production. Under the agreement, Remedy has a royalty opportunity after Rockstar Games has recouped its development, marketing, and other costs for distributing and publishing the game.

The project is currently in the concept development stage.
https://news.cision.com/remedy-ente...-games-for-new-max-payne-1-2-project,c3540823
Sam Lake's face as Payne or bust
It's Payne whack him!
BZnsmvJIYAAOUzl__3_.jpg

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh my god. Please let them be full remakes, not remasters with a new graphics engine. Show the other third person shooter developers how it's done.

Chimera

Augur
Because that worked so well with the GTA trilogy...

af355-16366540526568-1920.jpg

...I have no confidence, whatsoever, that with Rockstar involved this will be anything other than a low-effort, farmed to foreign asset-creation studios cashgrab.

Besides, I shudder to think what "contemporary" developers would do to Mona Sax.

Lemming42

Arcane
IT'S PAYNE

Could be good, if a few requirements are met:
- Keep Sam Lake's face
- Keep the same storytelling style - very short in-game cutscenes supplemented by longer graphic novel passages, and don't fuck with the plot or tone too much
- Get James McAffrey back, this is non-negotiable
- Keep the "funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of" dream word-for-word

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Terrified they're going to remove all the kitsch in favor of making the first a 100% straight dark noir tale. Max Payne 1 is iconic just as much for bullet-time and trip sequences as it is for goofy Italian accents and everyone mugging at the camera in the comic panels.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
- Keep the same storytelling style - very short in-game cutscenes supplemented by longer graphic novel passages, and don't fuck with the plot or tone too much

Worse than overly long cutscenes would be the boring in-game conversations where the same few canned animations are repeated over and over and the camera just keeps going back and forth (shot, reverse shot, shot, reverse shot) as they stand there in the most awkward, uncinematic way possible. Those comic book panels were cinematic. Funny that that's 50 percent of how the story is told in Control yet I can't find one of those NPC interactions right now. The Mass Effect way.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Does the game really need it? I haven't played it in years, but its not like there's any gameplay or controls that needed updating and I'm sure any technical issues have been solved by fans over the years. Is most of the staff from the golden era still around? That's usually a good sign, though some companies with most of their staff still screw things up. See: Budgie.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
No game ever needs a remaster or remake. Some games get a good one(REmake is the only good one), but they never ever need it.
Nonsense. Some games are good but have flaws in them that makes it difficult to enjoy them. For instance, control standards have left a lot of DOS and early Windows games awkward to play. Surely, you've played a game that suffers in that respect? Its just that most of the time the games that get these remasters and remakes are games that don't have those flaws and instead it just serves as a brief sales boost.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
No game ever needs a remaster or remake. Some games get a good one(REmake is the only good one), but they never ever need it.

I don't mind remakes, but they remake the wrong things, just like with movies. Remake the shit that didn't work or didn't make money because of whatever reasons. Figure out the hows and whys and redo it, see if it will work the second time. Don't remake classics. You can't top the classics, plus you'll piss off the fan base. Remaking successes can only lead to failure. Remaking failures? You got a chance.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Man, that was such a good game. That dream sequence, IIRC, with the baby crying was jarring as fuck.

The dream sequences sucked. They weren't the major problem I remember them being made out to be, but they were also pretty boring, and not fun at all. It's like you're playing your cool new action game that's doing shit that hasn't really been done before, and doing it extremely well, and then it stops for some weird walking "puzzle" where you've got to walk and sometimes jump around (in a game where platforming was clearly not on anyone's mind) in some black void and you wonder: Who thought this was a good idea? Turns out it was probably this guy...

3712088-maxpayne.png

The dream sequences are something they could totally rethink. Turn them into fucking Rez for all I care, just don't have them be "follow the blood line in the black void" walking sections anymore.

Pound Meat

Prophet
Terrified they're going to remove all the kitsch in favor of making the first a 100% straight dark noir tale. Max Payne 1 is iconic just as much for bullet-time and trip sequences as it is for goofy Italian accents and everyone mugging at the camera in the comic panels.

This is it. Max Payne 3 was an overly serious slog through unskippable cutscene hell. The remakes will be in line with that, but with a lot more blacks and a flat-chested boyish Mona Sax.

zapotec

Liturgist
They should change Max payne to a strong woman that decided to end off patriarchy ever in the city after her onlyfans account was banned

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Keep in mind that all the original staff that worked on the original games have long since moved on from the company to be replaced by college morons that are all SJWs. These people lack creativity and can only destroy what their betters made. These will be a bomb unless they can get the nostalgia dollars from braindead moronic fans of the originals.

Moral of the story: Don't be a braindead moron of the original games.

V17

Educated
I played both games a few years ago on a modern system and they still work fine and are as fun as ever. MP2 looks good too and doesn't need graphical updates imo, MP1 is a bit empty/bland in places and since the visuals are a big part of the noir atmosphere I think it could be improved.

If they manage to make the locations look more detailed and lived-in while retaining the graphical style and visual clarity, and at the same time not changing anything else, I think the result could be amazing. But I don't have much hope they'll manage that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom