Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remedy's Max Payne 1&2 remake in the Northlight Engine

toughasnails

It's Remedy so at least this will be technically proficient and polished unlike the dumpster fire that is GTA3 Trilogy.

Pound Meat

Prophet
maxpaynescreen.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
Just slap on MP3 gameplay (but with faster movement because Max isn't supposed to be an oldfag) plus AI and we're good

I'd add a slide (hold crouch while running), grenades* and let the player sling a second two-handed weapon over the shoulder. So, one in the hand that they can drop when they dual wield (number 3) and one slung over the shoulder that they can keep. Some destruction. Can't think of anything else right now, but I know there was more. Oh, I'd remove the cover button, since it encourages the developers to attach Max to a wall at the beginning of every other encounter and it's easy enough to just place yourself behind a wall freely. Oh oh, I'd also replace the cinematic auto-melee with a melee button. And I'd remove Last Stand.

*The multiplayer had grenades. You could either quick-throw them, which I assigned to G, or take them out with key 5 and then cook them with Left Click. Remedy claimed they wanted to make a multiplayer mode for their own Max Payne games, but tacked on multiplayer modes seem to be dead now.

Last edited:
It'd be cool to see a remake of the first two Max Payne games incorporate some of the stuff the later Stranglehold game did, like the environmental interactions and the amount of environmental destructibility that game had. It'd be interesting if you got the kind of movement options you have in RE6 in relation to dodging, sliding, and rolling out of the way of attacks while on the ground.

If they're doing cover it'd probably be better to do it like MGSV does where you just press up against a wall as opposed to pressing a button and being sucked into cover.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the nightmare sections because some kind of first (or maybe they stay third) person PT-ish horror bit along the lines of what that one PS5 game Returnal did recently. Although it'd be a pleasant surprise if they just become some kind of crazy third person shooter sections with weird nightmare enemies in it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
If they're doing cover it'd probably be better to do it like MGSV does where you just press up against a wall as opposed to pressing a button and being sucked into cover.

One of the worst ways to do it in a shooter. Because it's forced. Each time you happen to go too near a wall, you have to wait for the slow animation.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yes, Godzilla. Cover mechanics aren't really necessary anyway. Had little trouble playing Max Payne 3 without. Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy would have been a similar story if you could crouch and the highest difficulties didn't take your health away so quickly, a problem common to health regen. You're usually on the move and can position yourself behind objects so long as you know how to use navigation well and when to swap the camera to the other shoulder. More interesting that way. I don't wanna auto-stick to every object I bump into.

I don't think I ever once accidentally went into cover while playing MGS5. It also seemed faster, and like I had more control than previous cover systems were you press a button to move into cover. I was actually a little surprised how good it felt in MGS5 because I wasn't crazy about in 4 or even going back to 2.

I'm not saying the game needs cover, although taking cover behind some pillar as it's being blown apart and than popping out from behind it is a pretty John Woo thing to do, I'm just saying if there is cover, I'd rather have it be like MGS5 than the standard "press button and the character automatically moves into cover for you" system.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Remedy is already Working on:
-Control 2
-Control Coop Spin-off
-Alan Wake 2

So they won't even able to start working on this until they shipped AW2 next year.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Max Payne 1&2 are masterpieces with zero reason to be remade or remastered, let alone desecrated with cover mechanics, limited weapon carrying, censored humour and political correct story, which is these remakes’ inevitable fate.

ADL

Prophet
Remedy is already Working on:
-Control 2
-Control Coop Spin-off
-Alan Wake 2

So they won't even able to start working on this until they shipped AW2 next year.
Also a live service game co-financed by Tencent who will be handling it in the East.
"Vanguard marks Remedy's first entry into Games-as-a-Service business model, executed by our top tier team of free-to-play experts. We are building something new and exciting for co-operative multiplayer space, on top of Remedy's strengths," Virtala said. Expanding our capabilities to take on publishing responsibilities is the next step in the development of our company. We are excited for this long-term partnership with Tencent and with confidence can say that it is an excellent fit in supporting Vanguard’s ambitious plans. Vanguard is a global opportunity, and Tencent can support Remedy internationally, and lead the operations in Asia and the mobile markets."
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...-first-games-as-a-service-title/1100-6499252/

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

One of the worst ways to do it in a shooter. Because it's forced. Each time you happen to go too near a wall, you have to wait for the slow animation.

Literally the best way to do a cover mechanic. Because there's no bullshit, it's completely integrated with Snake's movement. There's no need to press a button each time you enter/exit cover. The moment Snake's hitbox collides with a wall, he immediately sets himself up against it.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Literally the best way to do a cover mechanic. Because there's no bullshit, it's completely integrated with Snake's movement. There's no need to press a button each time you enter/exit cover. The moment Snake's hitbox collides with a wall, he immediately sets himself up against it.
You separate from the wall in Max Payne 3 the exact same way, by pulling away with WASD. That's how it is in most cover shooters, so what you said is only half-true. The walls in MGS5 have the same magnetic feel.

Here I am pressing forward (W) while pointing the camera away from the wall, but the character keeps on walking along the wall. Feels weird. I have to step more to the right than I maybe intend before I can go where I'm pointing the camera. If it was a button, I could separate and stay very close to the wall before going straight. I wouldn't have to take that wide step.

The cover transition is actually slower than many others, including Max Payne 3.

I've also had moments where the character won't cover at first, perhaps having trouble with the geometry and angle or figuring out if I want to run or cover.

Very often, they keep walking for like a half second to 600 milliseconds, before finally pressing up to the wall. Example:

Don't have some of those problems with a button. All bound to be complicated in a game like Max Payne, where you don't have those wide open areas all over and can shoot without first zooming to the shoulder. Would rather just not have cover. Crouching and shoulder-swapping is enough.

I don't think I ever once accidentally went into cover while playing MGS5. It also seemed faster, and like I had more control than previous cover systems were you press a button to move into cover. I was actually a little surprised how good it felt in MGS5 because I wasn't crazy about in 4 or even going back to 2.

MGS2 doesn't have a button, you just walk against the wall like in MGS5. He automatically flips around. Maybe you meant just MGS4, but you used a plural, "previous cover systems."

Last edited:
No, I was talking about MSGS2. Just pressing up against the wall to go into cover (as opposed to pressing a button like most things with a cover system since WinBack on the N64) is also how you do it in MGS4 and MGS2, and I wasn't crazy about it in MGS2 in competition to the button press of Splinter Cell from around the same time. But, I loved how it felt in MGS5. I was saying it's not something I really liked before, (like in MGS2) but by MGS5 I thought it worked fantastically.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Thought I remembered having to press Triangle to go against a wall in MGS4. But I guess it was just used for the context-sensitive actions. Don't have a PS3 anymore.

ADL

Prophet
Do max payne 1 and 2 works fine on windows 11?
Absolutely not. I've tried it on a variety of W10/11/Linux systems over the years and it's not playable without a huge hassle. Anyone suggesting otherwise is out of their goddamn minds or running it on the ancient hardware it was intended for. Probably just saying they played it recently to boost their gamer cred. Starting off sound is completely broken and you have to run some sort of sound conversion program to get in engine sound working. After you get sound working, you notice that Max is stuck to the floor and your bullet dives and jumps don't work as intended because physics are completely broken. This becomes essentially game-breaking after Max is dosed with V and you have the blood trail segment where you have to jump and you can't make the jumps. Also you know those dream segments where you're walking through hallways and the FOV widens super far to make the hallways look stretched and crazy? Well now it widens to fish eye view and unless you aim your camera perfectly Max is almost impossible to locate on your screen and you'll start glitching into walls. If you somehow manage to get through the dream sequences, there's a bunch of other platforming bits that will be super annoying and you'll be reloading 50+ times to get it right. Community forums say RivaTuner fixes that if you cap your frame rate because the physics break above 60FPS but that's never worked for me.

My playthroughs always end up the same way. Installing a PS2 emulator for a game that has a native PC port. I even tried downloading a repack that supposedly "fixes everything" but it's still fucked on two systems one Windows 11 one Windows 10. Even when it's working as intended (through the emulator) it hasn't aged particularly well and both deserve a remake if that means better gunplay.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There must be something wrong with your OS, MP 1 & 2 working fine here on W10.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom