Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Resident Evil 4 Remake - out now for PC/Playstation/Xbox

Wunderbar

Arcane
They removed the dress... but kept the high heels. Makes sense.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
reminds me of that large chested woman from Soul Calibur
Taki?

soulcalibur-taki0007.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
I strongly believe they will remake Code veronica in the future.
Fuck I hope so. Everyone loves to shit on that game, but I thought it was pretty decent at least in terms of story and locations.

I'd like to see a remake that keeps the iso camera, although I realize that's probably a pipe dream.

JDR13

Arcane
As for the demo, I thought it was "ok".

After playing it though, I reinstalled the original, and holy shit has that game aged horribly! Maybe I just never realized how bad the PC port was to begin with, but it's bad. It controls like ass regardless if you're using M+K or a gamepad. I take back what I said about it not needing a remake.

catchaser

Savant
Just a thought, but the remake might try to retcon the timeline, notice how the fall of Umbrella isn't mentioned in the intro video.

Zlaja

Arcane
Downloaded and played the Chainsaw demo today,it looked good and run smoothly,liked it for the most part,will probably get the full game at a discount like I do with everything else these days

OMG, are you doing the whole fantadomat thing where you refuse to use space after commas? That shit drives me up the wall.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

After playing it though, I reinstalled the original, and holy shit has that game aged horribly! Maybe I just never realized how bad the PC port was to begin with, but it's bad. It controls like ass regardless if you're using M+K or a gamepad. I take back what I said about it not needing a remake.
I finished the original recently with the HD project mod and it felt just fine. Is not just a graphics upgrade, it improved the controls, it let's you autocomplete the QTEs* and upscaled all the cutscenes. Yes Leon can be a bit stiff at times and the Island section and Ada campaign still sucks. They will always suck hopefully the remake fix them.
dowQfQL.png

*I fucking hate quick time events.

JDR13

Arcane

I finished the original recently with the HD project mod and it felt just fine. Is not just a graphics upgrade, it improved the controls, it let's you autocomplete the QTEs* and upscaled all the cutscenes. Yes Leon can be a bit stiff at times and the Island section and Ada campaign still sucks. They will always suck hopefully the remake fix them.
I don't even remember Ada's campaign. Was that in the Gamecube version? I've never played the PC version to completion.

As for the HD mod, how does it improve controls? I've read about the mod, but I don't recall it changing anything about the controls. My main issue is how hyper twitchy the camera is when looking around, and there's no way to adjust the sensitivity if you're using a gamepad which would be my preference.

This better be the last remake. They need to reboot the series.
They need to put the series on hold for a few years before fatigue does irreparable damage (I wish there was sign of fatigue.) and in the meantime work on Dino Crisis Onimusha again.

:thumbsup:

Onimusha was in the leak. It’s possible we might be seeing something about it later this year, given what the old leak schedule was.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Onimusha remaster bombed in sales, so the reboot was likely canned.
That was to be expected, it was insultingly greedy to release that quick cash-grab as stand-alone instead of the whole collection at a similar price as they did with DMC six years earlier, though Wikipedia claims it sold over 300,000 units by the end of 2020 which looks like might be an acceptable figure for something done so on the cheap and released with barely any fanfare. If they did indeed cancel a reboot because of the remaster's sales then it sure would look like it was the intended outcome, perhaps because of some internal power struggle.

Onimusha remaster bombed in sales, so the reboot was likely canned.

That Onimusha remaster came out late 2018/early 2019, the leaked schedule with a Onimusha remake on it was probably from like late 2019 or early pre Covid 2020. I’d bet they’ve still got the Onimusha remake going. It’s probably going to be their FromSoftware style game. That seems like the most likely reason they’d bring Onimusha back after (at this point) 17 years.

They’ve also got a Netflix anime in the works, which was announced last year, with Takashi Miike as chief director. If they’re announcing an anime a few years after the remaster they probably still have something going with the new game. The remaster was probably just something they released to remind people Onimusha is a thing.

JDR13

Arcane
After playing a few hours of the original with the HD mod, and then going back to the remake demo, I have to agree that the remake doesn't seem like much of an improvement. The camera is better, but everything else about the controls is just as shit as the original.

It seems like a major missed oppotunity by Capcom. Why remake a 15+ year-old game and not improve the movement and controls to modern standards?

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Why remake a 15+ year-old game and not improve the movement and controls to modern standards?
What is there to improve? The combat was made as such for a reason, not because of limitations.

JDR13

Arcane
Why remake a 15+ year-old game and not improve the movement and controls to modern standards?

Modern standards? What third person shooters are you talking about?
Pretty much all of them.

Are you really going to pretend that most modern third-person games feel like something that was designed for the Gamecube 18 years ago?

JDR13

Arcane
What is there to improve? The combat was made as such for a reason, not because of limitations.
How about not feeling like I'm driving a tank?

I get why the older games are like that. They sort of had to be, but a remake didn't need to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom