Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Resident Evil 4 Remake - out now for PC/Playstation/Xbox

Machocruz

Arcane
Normie gamers, especially of the console kind, are the biggest copers on the planet. Every defense or criticism they have of a popular game, or game they cherish, is a meme or buzzword repeated from somewhere else, no sense or logic behind it. "Hurrr we can't have Ellie in a different pozishun from wat the devlopers intended. It would just feel sooo yikes and ruin the flow immersion developer vision of the game. Naughty Gods kno what they r doing and I suck a foam dick effigy of them daily." They are identity invested in their fandom and no amount of rational argument can unplug them.

DemonKing

Arcane
Demo was ok - looked slick and ran well on PS5. Leon's hair is as ridiculous as ever - they really need some bad guy to use it against him by tugging on it.

Never played the original so might give this a shot. I enjoyed RE2 remake and Village well enough and that RE3 remake and RE7 were also serviceable.

Ezekiel

Arcane
This better be the last remake. They need to reboot the series.
They need to put the series on hold for a few years before fatigue does irreparable damage (I wish there was sign of fatigue.) and in the meantime work on Dino Crisis again. Of course they won't ever bring Dino Crisis back because it already costs so much to animate and script humanoid enemies. Rigging and animating all those different kinds of animals and figuring out how those giants would navigate their environments (in some cases destruction, because it would no longer just take place in a concrete/metal facility) and how they would eat (Each other, with a gore system?) would put their already expensive project way over budget. Even though the sales of the game would recover the production costs. The Jurassic Park/World movies always sold better than zombie movies. Dino Crisis just didn't sell as well as Resident Evil because it wasn't as well designed. Then again, I don't think the talent and ambition for a really good Dino Crisis is at Capcom anymore. They are too scared of failing their shareholders to do anything other than check off the same boxes as all the other AAA developers. That is why they are remaking their already good, beloved games. It's safer. Indie developers don't have the money to make the dinosaur survival adventures we imagined when we were young. It has to come from the bigger studios, but those studios have become too big to ever risk a sincere, intelligent attempt. Zombies are largely tiresome now. So overdone.

They’re going to remake Resident Evil 5. It’s still the the best selling Resident Evil game, I doubt they don’t do it. Given how nobody is really married to anything about that game like they are RE4, I could see a Resident Evil 5 remake basically being a different game taking some beats and bring about Chris vs Wesker.

They also clearly aren’t doing a Dino Crisis remake. The series never sold as well as Resident Evil. Every Dino Crisis was a different style of game than the last. The last Dino Crisis game was 20 years ago. And Capcom is already doing that dinosaur action game Exoprimal...which I wouldn’t be completely shocked if that started as some kind of Dino Crisis title give the time portals.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just fold Code: Veronica into a Resident Evil 5 remake. The game isn’t really all that long. It’s like original Resident Evil length. The first time I ever rented Code: Veronica was when I first got my Dreamcast and I didn’t have a memory card yet, so any time I died I had to start the whole game over from the beginning. The length of the game is figuring stuff out, but once you do, a good deal of the game can be cleared in around an hour.

I’d be kind of surprised if Capcom made a Code: Veronica remake as it’s own little thing. That and Zero I wouldn’t expect. In fact the only way I could see Zero being remade is if Capcom remake the original game again and folded aspects of that game (some of which were original meant to be in the original Resident Evil) into the new post-Zero game.

The remake of RE3 did seem to use a unused Tyrant design with its new version of Nemesis.

011-Tyrant-Mass-Produced-Type.jpg

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
They’re going to remake Resident Evil 5. It’s still the the best selling Resident Evil game, I doubt they don’t do it. Given how nobody is really married to anything about that game like they are RE4, I could see a Resident Evil 5 remake basically being a different game taking some beats and bring about Chris vs Wesker.

There was an "immense" outrage about Resident Evil 5 in fucking 2009, in a time, where this whole outrage culture almost did not exist, because of "muh poor black zombies", and rAcIsM.

And now you think that remastering Resident Evil 5, in fucking 2023, in a time, where even a comical tv clip about a stereotype of a black tribesman in a game can make a conservative (russian) developer backpaddle because of Twitter outrage, would be a good idea?

That game is a landmine, and CAPCOM, in its current state, surely will avoid it at all costs.

There was an "immense" outrage about Resident Evil 5 in fucking 2009, in a time, where this whole outrage culture almost did not exist, because of "muh poor black zombies", and rAcIsM.

And now you think that remastering Resident Evil 5, in fucking 2023, in a time, where even a comical tv clip about a stereotype of a black tribesman in a game can make a conservative (russian) developer backpaddle because of Twitter outrage, would be a good idea?

That game is a landmine, and CAPCOM, in its current state, surely will avoid it at all costs.

Remaking. Not remastering. Yeah, they’re gonna remake it.

There was no immense outrage. There was a tiny amount of bullshit outrage.

That game is the best fucking selling of all of Capcom’s Resident Evil games. There’s no fucking way they don’t remake RE5. And it’s not like they stopped selling RE5 because it’s current day, so current day isn’t going to stop them from remaking it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
d1r majinis will be replaced with white south africans like Bruce VC.
Let's not forget the original already replaced many of the the blacks with brown people and very light-skinned blacks after the pre-release reactions. If memory serves me right.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron

Remaking. Not remastering. Yeah, they’re gonna remake it.

That game is the best fucking selling of all of Capcom’s Resident Evil games. There’s no fucking way they don’t remake RE5. And it’s not like they stopped selling RE5 because it’s current day, so current day isn’t going to stop them from remaking it.
Well that's the thing about remakes, they can rewrite the past. They can make CV with a non-crossdressing Alfred and they can fill Africa with white peepo for the R5make. These are petty little things that won't get in the way of money.

Machocruz

Arcane
From a player perspective, I don't need everlasting series (plural). I know it's just the way things work in vidya, but if they never made another game named Resident Evil again, I'd be fine with it. The name is near meaningless anyway, there seems to be no specific unifying concept, just a general Monster Shooter theme which could be titled anything. We've had to hear a lot of coping bullshit along the way trying to tie all the games together, mechanically and narratively. And how series "need" to "evolve." Or they could also just need to end. But I'm not Capcom or their shareholders or a crackhead, so.

Comment on the video.

Awesome. I can confirm you don’t have to ditch your items until BEFORE you open the Village gates so you can use your stuff to kill the first 6 Ganados and some crows if you want.

Also…you don’t have to go to the Well entrance you used in the video. You can stealthily reach the TMP by going right towards where Mendez’s house would be (beyond the gates) and there’s a pathway down to the backyard area where another well is. There is a woman who will be heading this way as soon as you enter the village so just follow her. Since you won’t have a knife (until you get the Kitchen Knife in the well tunnel) I recommend going into the shack on the right or around it to avoid being seen.

You can also pick up any items you see along the way as soon as you get into the village.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

And it was basically ignored by everyone (who wasn't a complete moron or games journalist) at the time, like the same "outrage" from KC:D having no black people.

Black zombies in Africa? Holy fuck, let me clutch my pearls.

Oh wait, games journalists are complete morons, so I repeated myself.

The controversy around Resident Evil 5 leading up to its release was especially funny because it came from outside of gaming, so the people pissed off about it (or pretending to be pissed off) just assumed Resident Evil 5 was being made by a bunch of white people. The article that kicked everything off, if I remember right, seemed to be working under the false assumption Capcom was a western studio. I’d guess thinking video games worked like movies, and that all big games (like movies) are American.

Although there are racist black people that view Asians (and basically everyone who isn’t black) as white. But the article wasn’t coming from that particular place.

Evil corporations (run by rich white people) using the poor people of Africa as test subjects would probably go over even better today. I’d actually think a bigger controversy today would be the whole evil pharmaceutical corporation. Although maybe by the time a RE5 remake comes out the left will be out of their odd cheerleading for giant corporations phase.

From what I remember they did add white people because of the complaints.

I’m not sure they added white zombies. I think they showed them, and Sheva shortly after the controversy came up. Some people also thought Sheva was added because of that too; although that very clearly wasn’t true.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Downloaded and played the Chainsaw demo today,it looked good and run smoothly,liked it for the most part,will probably get the full game at a discount like I do with everything else these days

Ezekiel

Arcane
Don't know if already shared, but you don't even see Bitores Mendez's (the spine guy) transformation anymore.

https://imgur.com/a/tPOGFd0

The camera work is objectively worse.

The transition between the fire and the transformed Mendez is weird, like it's censored or something. Maybe that version is the japanese retail version.
If it's in the game like this, then it just makes you think of all we lose because of modern graphical fidelity. Guessing the Gamecube transformation was a bunch of different models playing a visual trick. But it takes so much more time to render models in new AAA games that they apparently don't wanna attempt what Mikami's team did. If it's in the game like this. Everything tends to be more static in the prettiest games. You're lucky if you can break a window. I don't even think most players care as much about graphics and Hollywood-level production values as the studios believe. If they do, then why do so many simpler games keep selling so well against their low budgets?

Ezekiel

Arcane
PC and presumably Xbox versions have Atmos or height effects without the Dolby license. Menu option says Surround or Home Theater in the PC version, but I heard music coming from above without upmixing the game. I thought Resident Evil 3 didn't have it. Maybe I was mistaken and they simply chose not to do it through Dolby.

Ivan

Arcane
reminds me of that large chested woman from Soul Calibur

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom