Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Resident Evil 4 Remake - out now for PC/Playstation/Xbox

Wunderbar

Arcane
DMO7jo3.png

Zlaja

Arcane
Resident Evil is generally fun and all, but haven't we had enough of RE lately? I'd love me some new and original IP when it comes to survival horror/horror-themed shooters. Why aren't there more of these type of games being made?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Why aren't there more of these type of games being made?
seems like RE is the only profitable one. Alone in the Dark died, Silent Hill died, Bethesda-published The Evil Within 2 sold badly.

That's being said, according to rumours there are multiple Silent Hill projects in the works at Konami, there's a new Alone in the Dark game is being developed in one of Embracer's internal studios, and the original creator of Silent Hill (who also made Siren games while working at Sony) is currently making a game called Slitterhead.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I really wouldn't be surprised if this game has RE6 gameplay, and instead of linear levels you have a bunch of different paths once you're pass the opening village similar to Dark Souls. It could even have the same Dark Souls save system that brings enemies back.

I mean, it's definitely not going to have the standard RE4 gameplay because even stuff like the RE2 remake dropped tank controls and let's you move around when you're shooting. If your pushing that action gameplay of RE4 further, the place you're going to land is RE6. Although maybe they keep the RE4 grapple system as opposed to the RE6 one which was just slightly different enough to be able to throw you off if you were expecting the same type of moves from shot locations like four and five had. Even something like a leveling isn't wouldn't been too outside the scope of what the original RE4 did since Leon would just automatically up better moves as you progressed in the game.

These are all good things.
The team behind this game made RE3 Remake which had a counter system similar to RE6 but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe a dodge button?

toughasnails

If nothing else, this will look great. They can reuse good part of RE8's assets which were already p solid, only here they aren't limited by last gen hardware.

Zenithsan

Educated
I predict a bland script with 95% of censorship.
But again, who plays RE for the story? It's all about shooting beaners.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Face scans. It's all they know now. Nothing unique to the medium, ever.

Wondered if Capcom scanned them in the early 2000s before I posted this, but didn't find anything with a search yesterday. Turns out they did. Seems the tech at the time was still rudimentary enough to allow SOME interpretation, for a face that didn't exist in real life.

ashleyactrez04.jpg

ecbfa8aec8d128e12a33523f1185f770.jpg

Photorealism makes it a little more boring, in my opinion.

The Decline

Arcane
Resident Evil is generally fun and all, but haven't we had enough of RE lately? I'd love me some new and original IP when it comes to survival horror/horror-themed shooters. Why aren't there more of these type of games being made?

Dino Crisis. Those dirty fucks at Capcom are just sitting on a perfectly good IP to resurrect. I am sick and tired of waiting for a modern dinosaur game that isn't a goddamn park simulator or online deathmatch.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
there's a new Alone in the Dark game is being developed in one of Embracer's internal studios

Hopefully it's a return to the early 20th century Carnby rather than all these nu-reboots with weird long haired hipsters.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I hope they cut the entire island section and place the regenerators in other location.
I do hope they give both the castle and island chapters some serious rework. You can practically tell when the team ran out of steam in the game - halfway through the castle the game just start getting stale, which is far more noticeable in RE4 because the village chapters are so tightly designed and well paced.

A few other things I'd like to see in this remake is an overhaul of the weapons and their upgrades, so they're all more viable - especially the shotguns and rifles. Also, tone down some of the camp - not all of it, just some of the more stupid things in the game (like the gigantic statute of the midget), and maybe feature a few chapters where you get to explore a "mansion" location with optional locations, puzzles and rewards - RE4 tends to be far too linear.

I'm interested to see if they'll keep the gameplay of the original or lean more towards REmake 2. Village was more action packed than VII, and a spiritual successor to RE4 of sorts, but REmake 2 is much closer to RE4 in terms of gameplay.

Also, the fuckers better not dumb down the tetris inventory like they did in Village, half the fun of the game was trying to cram in as much loot as possible.

Face scans. It's all they know now. Nothing unique to the medium, ever.
I hate the facial animation shit - games should not be trying to be photo-realistic. Not only do the characters always seem off compared to their handcrafted counterparts, but even with more than a decade of Capcom using the tech they still haven't managed to get out of the uncanny valley.

The best implementation of the tech was during the REmake 1 era - where they could based the character on an IRL model, but still be able to retouch it to suit their needs.

I'm looking at Ashley in the remake and she seems way off. Maybe they're still tweaking her, and she'll look better in the game, but both Mia in VII and Claire in REmake 2 looked really fucking bad - especially Claire that looked almost nothing like her original model.

Also, Capcom, do find better looking women, you were once famous for consistently creating good looking female characters, yet nowadays you can't do better than Instagram thots.

And for those that don't know, the RE4 HD mod is 99% complete, so if you get the itch to replay RE4 do use it, it's astonishing what the two guys behind the mod were able to accomplish.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I do hope they give both the castle and island chapters some serious rework. You can practically tell when the team ran out of steam in the game - halfway through the castle the game just start getting stale, which is far more noticeable in RE4 because the village chapters are so tightly designed and well paced.
I liked the castle.

toughasnails

Hopefully it's a return to the early 20th century Carnby rather than all these nu-reboots with weird long haired hipsters.
The New Nightmare was actually p good. Great atmosphere and p challenging both in terms of survival/action and of puzzles. Even thematically it was closer to the OG game's Lovecraftian shtick that its direct sequels were.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Don't know if you're actually on the lookout for games by major publishers, but a lot of indies lately have been doing proper survival horror. I'm not sure how many would fit your description, but I know of Nightmare of Decay, Compound Fraction and while looking for that last one, we have Athanasia.
The New Nightmare was actually p good. Great atmosphere and p challenging both in terms of survival/action and of puzzles. Even thematically it was closer to the OG game's Lovecraftian shtick that its direct sequels were.
It amazes me that the good people at Infogrames thought that the appeal of the original game was not the Lovecraftian horror, but the pirates with the original sequels. Its just a bizarre thing to make the secondary plot point of your horror series.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I'm interested to see if they'll keep the gameplay of the original or lean more towards REmake 2. Village was more action packed than VII, and a spiritual successor to RE4 of sorts, but REmake 2 is much closer to RE4 in terms of gameplay
:nocountryforshitposters:

Ezekiel

Arcane
We should place bets on Ashley wearing a skirt or pants/shorts. I'm almost expecting the latter.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom