Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Revisiting Old Games (Again)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Falksi, Jul 7, 2019.

1. sys0nar Educated

sys0nar
    Amazing.

^ Top  
  2. CaffeineConquistador Learned

CaffeineConquistador
    Heh, I haven’t seen a decent one of these in a long time.

The Chad artisan: programs on a 2008 thinkpad he stole from an office. Lol

• feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    What did you think to these mate?

I thought SOK was decent enough, but I'm no real Yakuza fan so personally I'd still sooner go back to the original SOR games. It didn't seem to have much in the way of innovation either.

Endless Zone just bored me. Did things well enough, but no real excitement to be had.

^ Top  
  4. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    No probs. Assuming that's the PC/ZX Spectum game?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Yes, it was there until some years ago. I'm afraid of going back and see it replaced with crane games and that Mario Kart from Namco. :negative:

Maybe it was hard to find because it runs on a less common board, but that's just a random guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Played NES Shadowgate for Halloween, made me think of this thread. I had a blast. I'm going to start going back to old console games. There was a lot on the Genesis and NES I didn't play because rental places and stores near me didn't carry them. The purity of old cartridge games is refreshing. No waiting through cutscenes, loading, updates, etc.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Aye. There's SO much to be said for instant loading & accessibility.

Monkey Island Vs the SE REALLY emphasised how important it was to have a good game "Rhythm" of click & response. No wait, no faff, no install, no updates etc. Plug, play & thrive. Even today's most popamole games fail to get that effect due to all the waiting around & "story".

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Aliens - Arcade

[​IMG]
    ^Bright garish colours ahoy!

One of my best mate's had a huge boner for the Aliens franchize, and "Aliens" in particular. Aged 12, he'd stay in most Sunday's & watch it over & over, alongside a dose of the Simpson's. We all know it's a great film, I thrive on it, but when we saw this in the local cashade he spunked buckets. I had the odd blast on it, but it didn't half guzzle your coinage, so I'd be surprised if I played it more than a dozen times in total and so had no lasting impressions of it.

This time I have though. I mean, what the fuck have I just played? Seriously, I've come away from this totally head-fucked. Where to start? Well it's Aliens and it deserves Kudos for including plenty of elements from the film. Ripley & Hicks both star (albiet Riley has a blonde perm); Newt pops up here & there; it contains the usual Xenomorphs, facehuggers, eggs, queen etc; you crawl through vents; you get to use the Neca P-5000 Deluxe Power Loader, etc, etc. For a game of that era in some ways it's surprisingly faithful to the film.

But then it's like someone slips some acid into your drink, and things just get trippy. Pink aliens everywhere, bright colours splodges & splashes too, purple worm spewing zombies, generic giant spiders, brown flying alien heads, mind melding alien bosses etc. It really is like you're off you're tits when playing this. That extends to the music & FX too, it's just like a brutal attack on the senses. It takes a huge shit all over the tone of the film, and presents one which it isn't even as grounded as that of a comic book, it's more like "Care Bares Alien LSD adventure".

The core gameplay isn't much to right home about either. Point & shoot with little tactical requirement throughout. No jump ability, no roll, no slide, no swinging etc. It's really one dimensional stuff. It's not bad, there's just not much to it either. Between side-scrolling stages you get to ride the M577 Armoured Personnel Carrier, and whilst it's a nice change, it's not particularly exciting. It's just a bit of extra show, and that's cool enough, but nothing to write home about.

It's essentially Aliens on a trip, with mediocre gameplay. How much you enjoy it probably relies on how enamoured you are with the franchise. It stands out, and I'd say check it out if you like the look of it, but I came away from it feeling a bit sick and in need a lie down. I won't be returning any time soon.

:3/5:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Aliens Vs Predetor - Arcade

[​IMG]

Remember when that dream combo of Aliens Vs Predetor sounded awesome? Yeah, we soon grow up & learn the truth of cash-ins & sequels don't we. Well continuing the Aliens theme, I thought I'd blast through this a few times. It's a game which I've never played before.

Fortunately, this doesn't falls into the "easy cash-grab" category. It's a legitimately fun & worthwhile beat 'em up. Unlike the earlier 1990 Aliens shooter, this manages to hit a really nice spot presentation wise, and conveys a great comic book tone. It's still far brighter & lighter than any Aliens film, but it's way more grounded than the 1990 shooter, and everything looks really big and meaty.

[​IMG]

In fact the whole thing has a real weighty, crunchy satisfaction to it. Your blows feel like they really connect, and the fighting is fast, frenetic, chaotic and fun all round. In particular, there's a fucking superb balance of hand to hand combat & weapon based combat throughout. You have a standard side-arm which you can use (but which needs to recharge or be reloaded depending on your character), some characters come equipped with melee weapons, and there's a ton of pulse rifles & suchlike too. It's all balanced very well, and you never spend too long without smacking the shit out of something either. That finely tuned combat pacing, mixed with the deliberate crunchy feel works an absolute treat and makes it a joy to blast through.

Each selectable character is different enough from the others to be worth their own playthrough too. Don't get me wrong, there's not a huge difference between them all, but there's definitely enough of a difference that you'll have fun experimenting how best to use them, and finding who's your favourite. It's also a great length, with 7 stages to finish, none of which outstay their welcome.

The music's wank though. Fuck knows what they were thinking here. When you look at how superb the soundtracks are to some of that era's best beat 'em ups, this really stands out as ear-wrenchingly bad shit. It also lacks the depth of the best beat 'em ups such as Streets of Rage 2, and for that reason I was tempted to give it a 4/5. But even with that in mind, it still doesn't stop it from being a superbly enjoyable blast, which pushes all the right buttons that an 80's action movie of this ilk would too, and which constantly has you on your toes too. So for sheer thrive-vibe I opted for a 5-thrive.

A great, very satisfying & cool scrapper.

:5/5:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Yldr Educated

Yldr
    You should try Aliens: Infestation. It's on DS but it's completely playable on PC since it doesn't use the touchscreen all that much.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Supposedly using the girl in AvP opens up all sorts of fighting game-like combo possibilities. I found the enemy variety lacking. Various flavors of alien that all amount to the same thing to me, and a few human soldier types. Not one of the more robust rogues galleries in brawlers .

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I thought similar with the enemies, but then again I also thought that kept in line with the films. There's often hordes of aliens on screen at once, and it gave me that mobbed feeling, which Aliens is all about especially. No individuality, just a legion of single minded creatures all attacking en-mass. Which is why I didn't factor it as a negative.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Yeah it comes with the license (post the first movie, where the alien had completely different behavior than every depiction that came after), and better that than they made up a bunch of bullshit enemies. Not really a negative as in a flaw, just something that keeps it from being at the very highest tier of brawlers in my book.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    It's very solid, though unfortunately my game bugged on the final boss and I could never beat it (the queen kept getting trapped in corners and being unhittable).

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    ^ Top  
  15. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    MONKEY ISLAND 2: LE CHUCKS REVENGE - PC

[​IMG]
    ^Does Guybrush give you the horn?

Arrrrr!! Another hearty return to the MI series! Sail away with me as we hit the high seas of adventure again!

Pft, I wish. God playing this drained the fucking life out of me. It's not a bad game, it's juts a fucking slog.

Starting with the positives it feels more fleshed out & grander than the original. The presentation is lush and it also sets thing up nicely, with Guybrush still trying to prove himself post Lechuck, and folk sick of his story. A real cool way to kick things off. The whole game & vibe is more grounded than the first game too, and it keeps it fresh and works in context of a new adventure.

It does occasionally hit that sweet spot of brilliant humour which the original did too, and when it does it's fucking brilliant. About halfway through I entered the Governor's mansion, and the conversation options were piss funny. For a few brief moments I was loving it, and it felt up there with the heights of the original. But this only served to highlight how few and far between such great dialogue is overall sadly.

See the whole thing just feels way more padded out, and flows way worse than the original too. There are fewer laughs, and it misses a lot of opportunities for good banter. For example, when you tell the game host that you don't gamble, there's no slur or piss-taking about being a coward or fanny, it's just played straight & dull.

There's also far less bread crumbs leading up to the puzzles, and I solved way more through trial and error than through actually thinking them through. Some of the actions which you are required to undertake to progress are particularly bizarre & just feel skanky tbh. In fact overall the puzzles, and game itself, feels a bit lazy and sequel-esq. And then there's the ending, which again just gave me that feeling of "we really can't be bothered anymore".

It has it's moments, I don't think it's a bad game at all, just a very average & disappointing one which was just too chore-like for me, and I struck up no connection what so ever when compared to the original.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Adventures have some sweet art. I need to check more of then out. I've only played the aforementioned Shadowgate, BaSS, Maniac Mansion, Burn Cycle, and whatever Kings Quest was on Master System.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sreggin Etah I Learned

Sreggin Etah I
    I've been playing Knights of the Round, the arcade game, on MAME. Pretty fun beat em up, pretty hard too !

Normally when i play beat em ups on MAME, i do my first run with 3 credits, then if i lose i try a new run adding 2 extra credits and keep doing that until i reach 9 credits, then i start adding 1 extra credits per run.

So, it's something like that:

First run: 3 credits
    Second run: 5 credits
    Third run: 7 credits
    Fourth run: 9 credits
    fifth run: 10 credits

That's the best way i found to balance difficulty in these Arcade beat em ups. So far, i've only able to reach half of Knights of the Round, using 9 credits, the game is tough.

"Unique" mechanics i found in Knights of the Round:

you can ride a horse.
    you level up.
    your character gains more armor as the game progresses.
    if you block a enemy attack you become invulnerable for a short period of time.

I should be abusing the blocking mechanic a lot more but the controls are just not the best.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Funnily enough I played through this myself last night, and am halfway through writing up my thoughts on it. Will prob post later or tomorrow. I found the blocking mechanic total bollocks.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sreggin Etah I Learned

Sreggin Etah I
    Yeah, the controls are just retarded. The most responsive way to use block is to press the attack button first then the directional button, you can hold blocking for a while, but if you hold too much your character become stunned. You can also do a heavy attack by pressing attack button then forward, does massive damage at the cost of a longer animation, best to use against stunned enemies.

Anyway, here's the others two beat em ups i've beaten so far:

Knights of Valour Plus: it's like an asian version of Knights of the Round, pretty good, you can use items in combat and there's lots of items. Had to use 16 credits to beat.

Violent Storm: similar to Street of rage, this game have an awesome soundtrack and atmosphere ! nothing unique in term of mechanics, but i had a lot of fun. Had to use 13 credits to beat this one.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Knights of The Round - Arcade/SNES

[​IMG]
    ^Merlin looking remarkably like the John Boorman version

"Behold! The Sword of Power! Excalibur! Forged when the world was young, bird and beast and flower were one with man, and death was but a dream!" Who doesn't fucking love a bit of the Arthurian legend eh? Swords, sorcery, slags, betrayal at Camelot, dragon's breath.......it gets dem juices flowing doesn't it campers? I could never get a hold of the SNES version of this as a lad, but did have numerous blasts on it in the arcade.

And as a game, it's a bit of a let down tbh. Which is a mighty shame, because I'd love a good Arthurian beat 'em up to pass time on. Sadly, it's just a bit flat and empty. The biggest flaw I found was the fact that there's very few moves available. I mean for a '91 game it has a massive lack of attacking options, and is more akin to a mid-80's game. You have a basic attack, a jump & jump attack, a desperation move, and a block, that's it. No grabs, throws, special moves etc. and because you're already wielding a weapon, you don't pick up weapons either. The block is also a fucking right pain to execute, push away & attack at the same time - very un-intuitive, and this renders it as good as useless.

Enemies & environments are also pretty bland too. There's no real need to implement any tactics anywhere along the line, you just straight out button bash from start to finish, with maybe the odd combo of enemies or boss stretching that slightly. Combine the lack of moves with a fairly bland & similar enemy set, and the whole thing becomes really stale really quickly. There's barely any environmental hazards, and you've seen most things the game has to offer by the end of level 2.

Levelling up is a nice touch though. Each time that you do your armour or weapon changes, and even though it's mostly cosmetic it still adds a bit of spice to the game. You also get to ride a bobbo in certain sections, and whilst it's a bit awkward doing so, it adds a nice bit of flavour. And at it's core the game does play fine enough. It's not skanky, it feels beefy enough, and the three players which you can select feel different enough to be worthwhile (although Lancelot stands out to me as by far & away the most fun to play as).

At no point was I annoyed, pissed off or even fed up with the game. But then again at no point was I buzzing or excited either. Bland but serviceable.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sreggin Etah I Learned

Sreggin Etah I
    I agree, it's fun for a while but not great. I should add that you dismount way too easily in this game, mounting on a horse should feel powerful yet i trying more to avoid taking damage than to hit the enemies, your damage barely increase too, shit feels pointless.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Sreggin Etah I Learned

Sreggin Etah I
    I finally beat Knights of the Round, took me like 9 attempts, 19 credits. Overall fun game ! surprisingly i didn't get bored even after 9 runs in a row, i'll give it a 3/5. It's almost a 4/5 for me, but the game is too simplistic and the music is way too forgettable for a Beat em Up.

The game is not that hard, i was just making too many mistakes, like unnecessarily dying early on. You just die way too fast in this game even for the weakest enemies, so you can't afford getting hit.

But that's what i like about Beat em Ups games, there's a attrition minigame going on, all parts of the game matters in the long run, you need to save as many lives as you can if you want to have a chance against the final boss(which is always OP and cheap as hell).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    I only played Endless Zone for about 15 minutes. There's just not much to it. SoK was kind of meh as well.

Did you play Golden Axed? I thought that was pretty good for what amounts to an Alpha demo. Combat is fluid and the animations are pretty tight. It's a shame it got cancelled because I think it might have been really good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.