Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Played it for the first time, thought I was already familiar with the PnP sources (I don't want to look badass but the game is really easy, by the end I had 70+ exp points unused...just waiting for when I would hit a wall and would need to up the right skills).

Can't understand how a "spiritual succesor" wasn't kickstarted somewhere in the that crazy age that was 2011-2013 where ANYTHING could magicaly be funded.

Also all the ppl bitching about the sewers.... the Sabbat Hotel was 10 times worse. All the vamps/shovelheads having the same model didn't help either. worst part of the game!

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Like just "script" a "unlock-door-smh-smh" after you trigger the convo or something like that.

This is already done in the script where he exits the flat. It's a random bug that sometimes gets him stuck!

Also all the ppl bitching about the sewers.... the Sabbat Hotel was 10 times worse.

In that case you should play with the plus patch next time, there you can skip it if you know the trick ;)...

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
This is already done in the script where he exits the flat. It's a random bug that sometimes gets him stuck!

Oh well, I thought that it wasn't "random" since unlocking the condo door before talking with Simon fixed the problem.

Anyway since you happen to read the topic I will list some other bugs I found during the gameplay and that noone already mentioned (it took a few days but I read the whole thread):

1 - the elevator in the Asylum getting stuck on the 2nd floor out of Therese/Jeanette office/flat (sadly I had to reload a old savegame :().
2 - the door letting you out of the Tremere chantry suddendly locking up (showing the lock symbol) and not letting you out anymore. Going in and talking with Strauss and going back to it seems to have fixed it.
3 - the same door not loading the Downtown map and just freezing the game. Closing and reopening the game fixed it.

Maybe I will play your plus mod soon or later... I guess it's prejudiced on my side but I usualy always skip fanmade content, especialy if it relates to story and stuff.

This said, thanks for your work and dedication.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Even though I hate wesp for deliberately putting bugs into the game for attention seeking purposes, I can't help but feel pity for him for getting these pathetic "bug reports" with absolutely no repro steps.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Even though I hate wesp for deliberately putting bugs into the game for attention seeking purposes, I can't help but feel pity for him for getting these pathetic "bug reports" with absolutely no repro steps.

Lol, there's no way to write how to reproduce the bugs I mentioned. Though I can send him my savegames if he should need.

Wesp5

Arcane
Lol, there's no way to write how to reproduce the bugs I mentioned. Though I can send him my savegames if he should need.

It doesn't matter, as these are the usual random bugs that we will never be able to fix. Proof: they fixed themselves on reloading a save or restarting the game! Most of these I never encountered myself and the current theory is that playing long sessions in one go will increase the probability of them appearing as if there is a memory hole or something. The most infamous example is the Skyeline Haven bug in which the whole map will be cluttered with wrong models once you play more than 3 or 4 hours in one go! As for attention seeking by placing bugs, I think its quite simply the combination of a very complex and buggy game and my own incompetence as non-programmer with no source code or anything. I would be so happy if I could finally finish this patch! I have other projects that need my attention, like the Bloodlines Prelude mod.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So other than WESP's mod, what mods are compatible and worth having for this game?

I thinking mostly on graphical upgrades - high res mods, overhauls etc. any of you use that sort of thing?

Or do you just roll with wesp patch and nothing else?

I want to replay dis game so bad.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

It doesn't matter, as these are the usual random bugs that we will never be able to fix. Proof: they fixed themselves on reloading a save or restarting the game! Most of these I never encountered myself and the current theory is that playing long sessions in one go will increase the probability of them appearing as if there is a memory hole or something. The most infamous example is the Skyeline Haven bug in which the whole map will be cluttered with wrong models once you play more than 3 or 4 hours in one go! As for attention seeking by placing bugs, I think its quite simply the combination of a very complex and buggy game and my own incompetence as non-programmer with no source code or anything. I would be so happy if I could finally finish this patch! I have other projects that need my attention, like the Bloodlines Prelude mod.

Yeah pretty random stuff. Though the Asylum elevator PERSISTED even if I reloaded the game. I had to reload from a point BEFORE and redo some stuff. Would you be interested in that savegame?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Pretty much none of the major mods are compatible with each other, however, many mods are built on top of a base mod such as Wesp's patch, Companion mod or Camarilla Edition.

Ultmately though, the choices are pretty simple:
1) official patches or Wesp base patch if you want the original game experience
2) Clan Quest mod if you want an enhanced game experience
3) Final Nights mod if you want to play one of the Independent clans instead of a Camarilla clan vampire
4) Antitribu mod if you want to play one of the Sabbat clans instead of a Camarilla clan vampire

Jason Liang

Arcane
I am extremely skeptical of all these content mods. But would love to be proven wrong. Persuade me otherwise, please.

Companion mod is wonderful. How are you a vampire if you can't Embrace? Plus you get some much needed disciplne rebalancing.

Delterius

Arcane
I am extremely skeptical of all these content mods. But would love to be proven wrong. Persuade me otherwise, please.

Companion mod is wonderful. How are you a vampire if you can't Embrace? Plus you get some much needed disciplne rebalancing.
Sure but that Clan Quest mod seems a stretch. To say nothing of the other ones.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Pretty much none of the major mods are compatible with each other, however, many mods are built on top of a base mod such as Wesp's patch, Companion mod or Camarilla Edition.

Ultmately though, the choices are pretty simple:
1) official patches or Wesp base patch if you want the original game experience
2) Clan Quest mod if you want an enhanced game experience
3) Final Nights mod if you want to play one of the Independent clans instead of a Camarilla clan vampire
4) Antitribu mod if you want to play one of the Sabbat clans instead of a Camarilla clan vampire

And if I want WESP + only graphical upgrades?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Companion mod is dumb. It's a excellent feat of programming in adverse conditions but it's severely disruptive of the average quality of the narration. Reused monosyllabic dialogs lines in extreme situations might be even more out of place in this game than silence and a funny face.

Besides, they get in the way.

I like *parts* of the clan quest mod (some quests, some changes and additions, the bloodtimer copied from camarilla edition) but it also has plenty of mood disruptive stuff in dialogs and animations. For one, the lines of the silent protagonist on its quests feel much 'extreme' (slurs, much clan chauvinism, etc) than the neutral only mostly self interested narration of the original quests. Basically, did a bad job of calibrating humanity to dialogs and even discounting that, went too far down the edge creek. For another the animations are ... mostly terrible, but that's the fault of the sdk, or the absence thereof. Reusing some canon characters without a always available voice actor is a mistake too. Original characters can at least always be changed utterly, finding another prince is hard.

I actually made a small linux mod that allows companion mod all quests + the college mod (basically a cheat but whatever) from camarilla edition in the game. Only works in linux because i got lazy and used quilt lmao.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Yeah pretty random stuff. Though the Asylum elevator PERSISTED even if I reloaded the game. I had to reload from a point BEFORE and redo some stuff. Would you be interested in that savegame?

Not really, because if it works once it should always work. Normally you need to reload from a save outside the map to fix any issues inside as these are stored in the save.

Wesp5

Arcane

Then I suggest to install the Extras that come with the UP which include some shader suites like SweetFX and ENB Mod to improve the looks of the game.

Then I suggest to install the Extras that come with the UP which include some shader suites like SweetFX and ENB Mod to improve the looks of the game.

And I say fuck sweetfx and ENB and just force Anisotropic Filtering + highest AA you can from your GPU. If you have Nvidia card, get Nvidia Inspector and force 16xS AA (2x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA) + Transparency Supersampling. Don't know what Radeons can do, probably not much but you should be able to get at least 8xMSAA.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
I had satisfactory results with ReShade actually. I used my GPU for AA and filtering like you suggest, but I used ReShade to make the shadows darker and to make a few other small changes. That was months ago, so I don't remember the details.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

And I say fuck sweetfx and ENB and just force Anisotropic Filtering + highest AA you can from your GPU. If you have Nvidia card, get Nvidia Inspector and force 16xS AA (2x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA) + Transparency Supersampling. Don't know what Radeons can do, probably not much but you should be able to get at least 8xMSAA.

Thanks for the tips, tho, those settings doesn't really do anything to bump up the lighting effects and HDR and such. I like the ENB/sweetfx settings they can provide. But I'll try your suggestion out.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyway I am replaying it as a Malkavian.

Now, one thing I found strange is that my tremere with sneaking of 4 could be undetected while stealthing by basicaly everyone. This translated in very easy stealth missions like the museum.

While my malkavian struggles with the same amount of points...how is that possible?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom