Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Perkel

Arcane
In other news water is wet and company doesn't want to advertise next product before its unveil and wants you to buy current product.

Dexter

Arcane
Probably tried for a year to get this to work on Quest 2 and didn't get anywhere after Facebook bought out the development studio, so it's apparently releasing for PCVR in the Summer, expect this to be the last big PC title from Facebook that has been worked on long before their recent retardation:

Here's some more RE4 footage:

Look forward to a compromised PC (and console) experience, because these have to work on Mobileshit hardware:

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
The first Oculus showcase was very disappointing. Mostly games we've already seen and DLC.

Razor

Arcane
Anybody have any experience with HP Reverb G2? Whats the impression?

Peeps seem to be complaining about some tracking issues but by all else seems like a solid Gen2 entry.

Dexter

Arcane
Anybody have any experience with HP Reverb G2? Whats the impression?

Peeps seem to be complaining about some tracking issues but by all else seems like a solid Gen2 entry.
No personal experience with it, but it got the highest physical resolution of all reasonably available commercial Headsets out there (about 2x that of the Valve Index and 1.3x that of the Quest2 - not that that usually uses its full rendering resolution). It also got Valve's off-ear speaker sound solution which is best on the market so far.

The problem/issue with it is the WMR-tier inside-out camera Tracking, which is generally worse than what Facebook has achieved after a bunch of Updates and the WMR Controllers themselves, which aren't exactly the best or most Up-to-date and will likely cause issues with games that natively support VR because WMR is kind of treated like second fiddle to Oculus and SteamVR support for Vive/Index due to its low buy-in (being about 6% of the market) so you might have to rebind keys and the likes in SteamVR.

It's probably the best HMD you can get if you're a Simmer where resolution is one of the most important things and you usually use other control methods like HOTAS(Joystick + Throttle) or Wheel+Pedals. It's probably okay if you're looking for a general VR HMD and resolution is important (e.g. for instance for watching movies and other high-res media files on it or whatever, although you'll probably need a 3080 or similar to drive it properly with good FPS for intensive games). It would probably be the best on the market if they went with Valve's Lighthouse Tracking solution and borrowed their Controller design, although it might have been just as or even more expensive than the Index in that case.

I thought about combining it with Lighthouse Tracking+Index Controllers which seems possible: https://uploadvr.com/how-to-use-hp-reverb-g2-with-valve-index-controllers/ since I already have everything that would be required for that aside from the G2, but I'm not sure if I shouldn't just wait for some other "Next-Gen" Headset next year or so at this point and compare Options then.

You might want to check out here if you're looking for personal experiences: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Air Link released today which is the official wireless pcvr streaming tool from Oculus. It works quite a bit better than VD since it has ASW, somehow lower latency AND a clearer visual image.

I dont know how many newborn children the Zuck had to sacrifice for this witchery, but its impressive nonetheless. VD was absolutely fine, but you could see in some games that it lacked ASW, which meant there were microjitters as soon as you moved your head sideways too much or the frametimes spiked. It also had noticable artifacting unlike Oculus Link and now Air Link.

Dexter are you talking about native games? Because i run my Quest 2 on 5152x2608 and it runs absolutely fine.

What i heard about the Reverb G2 tracking is that it is really sensitive to lighting in your room. So if you can dim your playspace and maybe place an infrafred illuminator you will have fine tracking. But yeah Oculus beats it handily and Index obviously too.

Venser

Erudite
I've heard people reporting really small "sweet spot" on G2 and apparently all reviewers received a version where that is not an issue.

Dexter

Arcane
Dexter are you talking about native games? Because i run my Quest 2 on 5152x2608 and it runs absolutely fine.
I'm talking both about the internal rendering resolution of "Quest-Excl000sive" games on the Quest and the encoding resolution from your PC. It doesn't really matter if you'd be able set your Quest2 to 10992x5760 or whatever, there's usually a Maximum Encoding resolution for your GPU, afaik 3664x1920 was Maximum some months ago for the Quest2 via Link since that is also its native resolution, I don't know if this has changed recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...ts_your_encode_resolution_link_for_a_quest_2/

As he states, due to barrel distortion overhead you might get a crisper picture in the middle of your screen up to 5408x2736, but the pipeline there would be:
1) Rendering game at 5408x2736 on your PC --> 2) Encoding at 3664x1920 or below via your GPU --> 3) Streaming to VR HMD via Link or Wirelessly --> Displaying native resolution or upscaling the video to it.
Depending on your graphics card the Encoding resolution might/should actually be lower than its Maximum though (2016/2352/2912 etc.): https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/Oculus-Link-Resolution-with-v12/td-p/788858

You'll never get beyond the limitation that you're Encoding and Streaming video with the Quest instead of having a direct video via Display Port or HDMI, which will always require compression/decompression and even have very visible artifacts that get less so when you up that Bitrate really high, adds Input latency and on top of that reserves like 20-25% of your GPU power as Overhead for Live Encoding instead of rendering intensive games, which will make you run into problems especially for Sim games that are at the limit or can't even get 90Hz on a Index or G2. Add to that that it has only a 3 choice IPD adjustment, is made of cheap plastic, doesn't come with proper integrated sound solution/headphones, has like 2 hours of battery life and is more uncomfortable than say the Index or even the CV1 and I wouldn't really choose a Quest2 as my PCVR HMD even if it didn't have the issues with Facebook, which obviously come on top.

I also take the personal experiences from Quest 2 users with a bit of a grain of salt, since it's hard to tell what they're comparing it to or if they're overlooking the obvious issues with it because it's the cheapest Option and "just werks". You for instance used to hear that Virtual Desktop used to work perfectly, but since "Air Link" is available you're suddenly hearing a lot more about the problems inherent with VD, from this experience report from one page back for instance it apparently changed from "image quality is great, controllers and tracking are good, pretty much flawless" to "Air Link [...] works quite a bit better than VD since it has ASW, somehow lower latency AND a clearer visual image. [...] you could see in some games that it lacked ASW, which meant there were microjitters as soon as you moved your head sideways too much or the frametimes spiked. It also had noticable artifacting":
I have a Quest 2 and i am pretty happy with it. Wireless PCVR is awesome, image quality is great, controllers and tracking are good, pretty much flawless even as long as you dont reach too far back behind your back.
Air Link released today which is the official wireless pcvr streaming tool from Oculus. It works quite a bit better than VD since it has ASW, somehow lower latency AND a clearer visual image.

I dont know how many newborn children the Zuck had to sacrifice for this witchery, but its impressive nonetheless. VD was absolutely fine, but you could see in some games that it lacked ASW, which meant there were microjitters as soon as you moved your head sideways too much or the frametimes spiked. It also had noticable artifacting unlike Oculus Link and now Air Link.

It might be the preferable Option for Wireless fetishists, although personally I'm not really that bothered by the wire, especially given all the things you'd have to take into account and give up if you cut it. It's why I'm hoping PSVR2, Valve and other companies don't drop the cord and fall for the Wireless Encoding Meme, although it'd be good to have as an Option I guess.

What i heard about the Reverb G2 tracking is that it is really sensitive to lighting in your room. So if you can dim your playspace and maybe place an infrafred illuminator you will have fine tracking. But yeah Oculus beats it handily and Index obviously too.
Afaik WMR and the Reverb G2 use visible light low-res Black&White cameras instead of infrared, from my understanding this might have something to do with Facebook patenting certain aspects of IR camera tracking for VR: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/tracking-system
Quick answer: the tracking system uses two visible-light low-resolution cameras to observe features in your environment. The cameras then fuse the information with IMU data to determine a precise position of the device in your environment.

More details: The tracking system uses two low-resolutions black and white cameras to identify features in your environment in visible light. The system will triangulate its position based on the observed features, which then supplements the information by fusing high rate IMU data to produce a continuous pose estimation for the HMD in your environment. The pose information is used by both applications to render a scene and by the system to correct this rendering for any mis-prediction in time and position. Your PC stores environment information so the tracking system can recall environment-specific data like the room boundaries physical location. If you use your device in multiple rooms, you can set up different boundaries in each room and the tracking system can recall the specific boundary for the specific room.

Dimming the lighting in your room and placing "infrared illuminators" would be counterproductive to improving your play experience with WMR. You'd have to have bright diffuse lights with no bright spots, limit reflections and best have some clutter in your room or posters/musters up your walls that can be picked up as features to improve tracking instead of an empty room with clear white walls.

Last edited:

Razor

Arcane
You might want to check out here if you're looking for personal experiences: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/

The main critique seems to be regarding controller tracking which seems to be due to the controller design itself, i.e. sensor types and its sensitivity to light levels. You can pair it with Valve index controllers like Dexter referenced but it seems to be impossible to pair Oculus controllers with it due to their patented protocol. New index controllers separately seem to cost 300 Eurobucks on the Index shop. Way too expensive for a separate work around. So it seems you are stuck with the originals for the time being. Also OOF at the tracking volume (G2 vid-tracking shortcomings), the Rift S tracks the hands way higher up and down. Camera sensor placement problem. Its somewhat compensated by the algorithm when your hands are in motion though.

The problem/issue with it is the WMR-tier inside-out camera Tracking, which is generally worse than what Facebook has achieved

Dosent the Oculus line use IR tracking while the G2 use visible light? At least with the Rift S my tracking has been perfectly fine. Only time I had a problem (microstutters) was because its very anal about what USB 3.1 port you use. In a 7.5 square meter room that has no other light source then daylight and a single fluorescent light mounted on the wall during night.

How did you guys solve your headset cable management? I have simply nailed the headsets wire up on the ceiling with one of those plastic cable fixators . No strain on the cable, can regulate it freely without friction. I have been thinking about making a more complicated retractable cable roller based design but I am paranoid if it will cause too much friction and strain on the cable, thus shortening its lifespan. At least for the Rift S most of its fiber optic which is way more complicated to repair and needs special tools. On top of that Cuckerborg being a cunt has discontinued the Rift S only two years after its launch and thus spare cables have become rare and expensive. On top of that peeps who had requested a new spare based on their legit warranties have been simply ignored by support! FFS burgerland cant get fast enough around to breaking up these tech tyrant corpos.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
On top of that Cuckerborg being a cunt has discontinued the Rift S only two years after its launch and thus spare cables have become rare and expensive. On top of that peeps who had requested a new spare based on their legit warranties have been simply ignored by support! FFS burgerland cant get fast enough around to breaking up these tech tyrant corpos.
Not that this would help you with either Facebook or HP, but for all it's worth, GabeN has recently talked out about replacing broken parts (or at least being able to buy them separately). For now he seems to be sending cables/headphones to people that bother mailing him, but he talked about a viable "short term" and "long term" solution by the Index team: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex...ve_sell_replacement_cables/guguot8/?context=3
Hi.

Thanks for the emails.

We are working on a short term and long term solutions for this. The Index team is getting all their ducks in a row before talking about it.

In the interim, (I guess that makes it the shorter term) email me directly if you have issues with tethers or other parts and I'll get you sorted.

Gabe (gaben@valvesoftware.com)

And "Cuckerborg" has not only forgot you after two years, but has apparently even forgotten about the Quest owners that bothered to buy that not even two years ago. For instance Resident Evil 4 is supposed to be "Quest 2 Excl000sive" and the "Air Link" feature doesn't seem to work/hasn't officially been announced yet for the Quest.

Razor

Arcane
Aye, Gabe is a bro. In Alyx developer commentary he made the very first intro commentary and mentioned that you can email him directly and he promised he reads all of them. So I actually did that, thanking him for taking the risk with Alyx. While they have the money printer known as Steam it takes balls to sunk in what must have been tens of millions of dollars marketing+R&D for a very experimental, almost pioneer like frontier. Its a shame really this will never become truly mainstream, because VR is actually a legit step up from regular monitor and a good reason to upgrade to good hardware to run as intensive 3d as you can. In the future with higher resolution HMD-s I would like to actually get rid of the larger monitors all together, leaving only small inexpensive monitor for troubleshooting and debugging.

On the more technical side my biggest concern on long term use, aside from the afromentioned cable wear n' tear, is the sensors dying on the Rift S. While not exactly comparable one on one, my experience with welding masks usage has been that aside from the in built batteries, the biggest break downs have been the self-dimming filter UV sensors giving up the ghost on long term use and thus the filter stops working. Simple workarounds have been salvaging good sensors from other old, spare part filters and replacing the dimmed parts. Simple wire soldering job.

But yet again to pour salt upon wounds, on top of the two year "life" cycle, my oculus account is phased out in about two years and have to make mandatory FB account if I want to get more software updates. No way in hell am I giving more in to them after this atrocious costumer support so its likely I will be selling the headset and moving on to some other HMD before I have to actually take the Rift apart and start sourcing/salvaging specific replacement parts.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
I'm talking both about the internal rendering resolution of "Quest-Excl000sive" games on the Quest and the encoding resolution from your PC. It doesn't really matter if you'd be able set your Quest2 to 10992x5760 or whatever, there's usually a Maximum Encoding resolution for your GPU, afaik 3664x1920 was Maximum some months ago for the Quest2 via Link since that is also its native resolution, I don't know if this has changed recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...ts_your_encode_resolution_link_for_a_quest_2/

As he states, due to barrel distortion overhead you might get a crisper picture in the middle of your screen up to 5408x2736, but the pipeline there would be:
1) Rendering game at 5408x2736 on your PC --> 2) Encoding at 3664x1920 or below via your GPU --> 3) Streaming to VR HMD via Link or Wirelessly --> Displaying native resolution or upscaling the video to it.
Depending on your graphics card the Encoding resolution might/should actually be lower than its Maximum though (2016/2352/2912 etc.): https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/Oculus-Link-Resolution-with-v12/td-p/788858

You'll never get beyond the limitation that you're Encoding and Streaming video with the Quest instead of having a direct video via Display Port or HDMI, which will always require compression/decompression and even have very visible artifacts that get less so when you up that Bitrate really high, adds Input latency and on top of that reserves like 20-25% of your GPU power as Overhead for Live Encoding instead of rendering intensive games, which will make you run into problems especially for Sim games that are at the limit or can't even get 90Hz on a Index or G2. Add to that that it has only a 3 choice IPD adjustment, is made of cheap plastic, doesn't come with proper integrated sound solution/headphones, has like 2 hours of battery life and is more uncomfortable than say the Index or even the CV1 and I wouldn't really choose a Quest2 as my PCVR HMD even if it didn't have the issues with Facebook, which obviously come on top.

The information you have about link is outdated. Encoding surely was a big problem in the early days of link (Quest 1 era) when the encoding process was unrefined. It led to substancial artifacting and latency and put me off regarding the Quest as a suitable PCVR headset for quite a while (a friend of mine owns one and showed me). But since then and especially after the Quest 2 release they 1)reduced link latency substantially, 2)were able to unlock 90 hz and now even 120 hz support 3) increased high bitrate encoding support which reduced artifacting. I am pretty sure your claim of 20-25% performance hit also is not true anymore, at least if you own a rtx2xxx/rtx3xxx which both have NVEC hardware encoding. If you own an AMD GPU or an older Nvidia model, yeah its still a problem. Virtual Desktop, which is a third party app because Oculus couldnt be assed to implement wireless PCVR, in fact improved on latency so much that you were able to get it down to 33-35 ms motion to photon latency with a high quality wifi 6 router while maintaining 150 mb/s bitrate, which is an amount that was noticable only on expert+ beat saber custom maps for me. AFAIK, native PCVR headsets have a motion to photon latency of 20 to 27 ms, to put things in perspective.

Your point about the IPD slider is fair. I personally don't have any problem with clarity, but there is some ghosting/god rays at the edge of the screen which i suspect is due to a slight IPD offbalance. The Index is not without fault here too though as it has an even smaller sweet spot. There are some people who report to have bigger issues with the IPD settings though. I think this is probably the biggest design flaw of the Quest 2. Another problem and a big reason why there are so many differing opinions about link is that usb slots often do not receive the power necessary to run link flawlessly, either due to powersaving settings in Windows or a lower quality mainboard chipset. Couple that with varying bandwidth capabilities of different usb 3.0 cables people use to connect their Quest 2 to the PC and you get an audience that is equally split into pleased and displeased. Setting up VD was equally finnicky since there are so many things you can do wrong that will affect your streaming quality.

Lets compare a little more. The Index has impressive audio and is better balanced on your head due to a much higher quality headstrap, but it also is heavier. The Quest 2 is durable as fuck, lighter, and if you buy a vrcover facial interface to replace the atrocious standard interface it is way more comfortable than you'd think. Certainly more comfortable than my CV1 (which i just put on a few hours ago). The headset audio is poor, but i simply use mid budget sony headphones which are perfectly suitable. Battery life can be extended to 8 hours with a powerbank. Or you simply switch to cable link for a while.

I also take the personal experiences from Quest 2 users with a bit of a grain of salt, since it's hard to tell what they're comparing it to or if they're overlooking the obvious issues with it because it's the cheapest Option and "just werks". You for instance used to hear that Virtual Desktop used to work perfectly, but since "Air Link" is available you're suddenly hearing a lot more about the problems inherent with VD, from this experience report from one page back for instance it apparently changed from "image quality is great, controllers and tracking are good, pretty much flawless" to "Air Link [...] works quite a bit better than VD since it has ASW, somehow lower latency AND a clearer visual image. [...] you could see in some games that it lacked ASW, which meant there were microjitters as soon as you moved your head sideways too much or the frametimes spiked. It also had noticable artifacting":
I have a Quest 2 and i am pretty happy with it. Wireless PCVR is awesome, image quality is great, controllers and tracking are good, pretty much flawless even as long as you dont reach too far back behind your back.

Okay so maybe i should clarify my grade of personal experience with VR headsets. I myself started off with a CV1 which i used until October 2020 when the Quest 2 was released. In the meanwhile a friend of mine bought a Quest 1, which i tested with his setup and he then upgraded to an Index, which i also was able to test. I have no side to side comparison of those headsets on the same PC setup, so yeah take it with a grain of salt, but my personal impression was that 1) The improvements of current day link and air link compared to Quest 1 era link and VD are substantial. 2) The Index still has better visuals than the Quest 2, but with current tech by a smaller margin as many like to believe. Both headsets lack black levels compared to Quest1 and CV1, both headsets provide a sharp and detailed image due to high resolution. The Index has a larger FOV, the Quest 2 has a bigger sweet spot.

Maybe i should have been more clear here. I was talking about my overall experience with the Quest 2. Visual clarity was great with link, okay/good with VD. PCVR still was a great experience even back then VD, but you took a hit due to artifacting and the lack of ASW. It was noticable for someone who is sensitive to it but still the graphical quality was lightyears ahead of standalone wireless VR and it honestly was fine for any game that does not rely on darkness too much. If i had to pull a number out of my ass i would say it was about 70% of the fidelity of native PCVR. Now with Air Link its more like 90 to 95%, same as link. Its that close.

Lack of ASW is a very subtle effect. Tiny screen tears at the edge of your screen when something is moving fast (like the floor when you're sprinting) or when you slide your head horizontally in front of a close object fast. It gets more pronounced when frametimes spike. I am a big pedant when it comes to performance/jitter stuff. Most people don't even recognize the problem and say VD runs absolutely flawlessly. Its certainly good enough for a great experience.

Also keep in mind that VD runs every game through OpenVR, which means it still has the motion smoothing you know in SteamVR.

It might be the preferable Option for Wireless fetishists, although personally I'm not really that bothered by the wire, especially given all the things you'd have to take into account and give up if you cut it. It's why I'm hoping PSVR2, Valve and other companies don't drop the cord and fall for the Wireless Encoding Meme, although it'd be good to have as an Option I guess.

Well i guess that's something you will have to try. I can play with a cord and if i adjust my playstyle i am also not "bothered" by it. But it definitely affects your playstyle. I guess if you take the effort to install a pulley cable system you can alleviate most of the problems a cable brings with it. Still, if you weigh the pros and cons of wireless PCVR and step by step you take away all the drawbacks of wireless streaming, i am pretty confident to say that wireless streaming is the future.

Afaik WMR and the Reverb G2 use visible light low-res Black&White cameras instead of infrared, from my understanding this might have something to do with Facebook patenting certain aspects of IR camera tracking for VR: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/tracking-system
Quick answer: the tracking system uses two visible-light low-resolution cameras to observe features in your environment. The cameras then fuse the information with IMU data to determine a precise position of the device in your environment.

More details: The tracking system uses two low-resolutions black and white cameras to identify features in your environment in visible light. The system will triangulate its position based on the observed features, which then supplements the information by fusing high rate IMU data to produce a continuous pose estimation for the HMD in your environment. The pose information is used by both applications to render a scene and by the system to correct this rendering for any mis-prediction in time and position. Your PC stores environment information so the tracking system can recall environment-specific data like the room boundaries physical location. If you use your device in multiple rooms, you can set up different boundaries in each room and the tracking system can recall the specific boundary for the specific room.

Dimming the lighting in your room and placing "infrared illuminators" would be counterproductive to improving your play experience with WMR. You'd have to have bright diffuse lights with no bright spots, limit reflections and best have some clutter in your room or posters/musters up your walls that can be picked up as features to improve tracking instead of an empty room with clear white walls.

Oh. I was sure the Reverb also works with infra red. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
I've heard people reporting really small "sweet spot" on G2 and apparently all reviewers received a version where that is not an issue.

The closer your eyes are to the lens, and the less of an issue the sweet spot is. If you're wearing glasses, like me, then you can't have your eyes too close, and then it becomes a huge issue ( plus lowered FOV ). I think that could explain the differences.

I made some custom-built lenses adapted for my vision and I can now wear my G2 without glasses. It's night & day in terms of sweet spot & FOV compared to previously.

Razor

Arcane

The closer your eyes are to the lens, and the less of an issue the sweet spot is. If you're wearing glasses, like me, then you can't have your eyes too close, and then it becomes a huge issue ( plus lowered FOV ). I think that could explain the differences.

I made some custom-built lenses adapted for my vision and I can now wear my G2 without glasses. It's night & day in terms of sweet spot & FOV compared to previously.

How is the controller and head tracking?

Nah

Novice
I bought an index at HL Alyx announcement and used it sporadically for about 2 months in early 2020. I ended up trying beat saber and played it 3-4 times / week since. All of the other VR games in my library gather dust. Side effects regrettably include my music taste going to shit (good cardio though).

Had to RMA one of my controllers due to tracking issues - Valve support gave me a full replacement of HMD/controller despite being a few months out of warranty.

Replacement hardware is finally arriving this week.

Anything new in VR space that's worth playing?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Nah

Did you play Pistol Whip yet? Seems like your ballpark. Its more movement heavy as Beat Saber (more squatting and leaning). Activate dual wield pistols always for more fun.

Thrill of the Fight is just sparring. Best workout you can get in VR right now i think. Racket NX is also cool. Kinda like squash meets pinball.

Blade and Sorcery is another one of those "oh lets spend an hour dismembering people and get a little sweat" games. I was hesitant to play it with a wired headset though since its pretty easy to pull your cable while doing a full swing.

Oh and recently i got Pro Putt Top Golf. Really cool and relaxing. But its golf so its not really sport.

Dexter

Arcane
I ended up trying beat saber and played it 3-4 times / week since. All of the other VR games in my library gather dust.
What are "all of the other VR games" in your library, and why? Rhythm games can be a bit of fun/distraction or physical activity for a few minutes every now and then, but anything Doktor Best brought up wouldn't really be a reason to play VR for me. Have you tried stuff like Walking Dead: S&S, Moss, Obduction, Paper Beast, The Solus Project, Operencia, Robinson: The Journey (dno how well that'd work on the Index), Multiplayer titles like Pavlov and similar or Mods for the likes of Doom 3 or Alien: Isolation? Maybe some of the "Oculus Excl000sives" via Revive like Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, Wilson's Heart, Robo Recall etc. ?
See my post from a few pages back: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/page-21#post-7220152

I actually thought about making a thread regarding VR Adventure games once I get my new Setup up and running and can play stuff more often hopefully next month. Some of the games I'm looking forward to the most aside from whatever "AAA" stuff Valve is working on are Firmament, the PC Myst Remake, Lone Echo II and possibly Sam & Max if it turns out it's an actual Adventure game and not a Minigame Simulator.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I was making a list specifically for games i play to get some movement in, since he appears to be enjoying that and said that all his other games are "gathering dust".

Dexters list is pretty extensive, maybe it would be a good idea to pin it to the opening post.

As far as multiplayer shooter goes i also like Grappling Tournament and Hyper Dash, which go more into the direction of arena shooters like Unreal Tournament or Quake. You will need stable vr legs though.

Nah

Novice
Did you play Pistol Whip yet? Seems like your ballpark. Its more movement heavy as Beat Saber (more squatting and leaning). Activate dual wield pistols always for more fun.
This one does look interesting. I'll check it out.

What are "all of the other VR games" in your library, and why?
Capture.png
I enjoyed Elite Dangerous, H-L Alyx, Obduction, Overload, SW Squadrons, Talos Principle, and Superhot. Many of the others felt like gimmick titles (GORN, Job Sim) and didn't hold my attention. I also really hate weightless melee combat - it just doesn't translate to VR imo. Haven't tried Blade and Sorcery for that reason.

Really need a new flightstick before I can get back into the space combat sim games (mine is worn out and never have enough buttons to do VR properly). Squadrons really brought me back to the xwing vs tie fighter days, but it was a pain to play with 7 buttons (and the campaign/tutorial required you to have bindings for everything on the stick to play the damn game).
This is a great reference. I definitely am interested in many of the oculus games through re:vive since I haven't touched them yet. Hate giving facebook money though.
As far as multiplayer shooter goes i also like Grappling Tournament and Hyper Dash, which go more into the direction of arena shooters like Unreal Tournament or Quake. You will need stable vr legs though.
I have a thing for Q3A but not sure how that will translate in VR. Haven't gotten sick since I tried playing HL2 through the dev kit 2 screen door.

Nyast

Cipher

How is the controller and head tracking?

Head tracking is perfect. Controllers are pretty good assuming you're playing a game where your hands will mostly stay in the field-of-view of the tracker cameras ( there are 4 on the headset ). This becomes an issue in games where you make ample movements, typically the ones where you have to get something in your backpack: you might have a loss or interrupted tracking for a few seconds. If the movement is fast enough, they compensate it via algorithms that are extrapolating the movements, so it works okay in games that don't require precision. In games that do require precision with some kind of movement outside the tracker's field of view, it might feel a bit random at times. For example in Eleven Table Tennis ( ping-pong ) when you serve, you're typically looking at your opponent ahead, with the paddle on your side outside your view. Serving requires you to hit the ball at a precise location on the paddle, so it might feel a bit off. Overall it's not a disaster, it's all workable, especially if you play games that aren't competitive, but it's definitely one step below the Quest's.

Razor

Arcane
Head tracking is perfect. Controllers are pretty good assuming you're playing a game where your hands will mostly stay in the field-of-view of the tracker cameras ( there are 4 on the headset ). This becomes an issue in games where you make ample movements, typically the ones where you have to get something in your backpack: you might have a loss or interrupted tracking for a few seconds. If the movement is fast enough, they compensate it via algorithms that are extrapolating the movements, so it works okay in games that don't require precision. In games that do require precision with some kind of movement outside the tracker's field of view, it might feel a bit random at times. For example in Eleven Table Tennis ( ping-pong ) when you serve, you're typically looking at your opponent ahead, with the paddle on your side outside your view. Serving requires you to hit the ball at a precise location on the paddle, so it might feel a bit off. Overall it's not a disaster, it's all workable, especially if you play games that aren't competitive, but it's definitely one step below the Quest's.

Interesting. How is the lighting in your room? Direct sunlight or LEDs present?

There was a discussion here on how Facebook has patented infrared tracking and thus others are forced to use other spectrums. From what I understand the G2 uses visible light and thus is much more easily confused by outside light sources.

Venser

Erudite
I was hyped when Impulse Gear announced they'll show their new game but this shit looks as generic as it gets. Every modern online shooter: VR edition. Also terrible music choice.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher

Interesting. How is the lighting in your room? Direct sunlight or LEDs present?

There was a discussion here on how Facebook has patented infrared tracking and thus others are forced to use other spectrums. From what I understand the G2 uses visible light and thus is much more easily confused by outside light sources.

There's never direct sunlight anywhere close to the field of view of the headset, even during mid day. It is farily well lit, but always indirectly lit. During the night, the lighting is relatively dim ( 3 bulb LEDs ), but not dark either. I think I have pretty much the perfect lighting conditions for the trackers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom