Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Doktor Best

Arcane
When i played it with some combat overhaul mod it was still pretty much wiggling a sword at the enemy, so yeah it was bad.

I then played the game as STEALTH ARCHER, which was much more fun.

OctavianRomulus

I have a Quest 2 and i am pretty happy with it. Wireless PCVR is awesome, image quality is great, controllers and tracking are good, pretty much flawless even as long as you dont reach too far back behind your back. It has a smaller FOV than Index and lighthouse tracking is still ahead, but its not like the Index is without its problems and i really have to emphasize again how much better wireless VR is. With a wired headset, you feel like a dog on a leash most of the times. You have to keep track with how often you have rotated and leg movement always runs at risk to pull at the cable or you getting entangled in it.

Dexters reservations against Facebook are not without merit, but after a few hiccups at launch there are almost no new cases on vr subreddits about a blocked account. You are fine as long as you do not use a fake name or use a swastika as account picture or something. You can also just buy the headset, a cheap usb 3.0 cable and use the Quest 2 exclusively for SteamVR, so if Facebook decides to fuck with you you just send back the headset and you keep access to all your games. You'd have to buy those games from the Oculus store in order for that to become a problem. As you need the Oculus software, you cannot use Steam with your Quest 2 without having it installed however.

Also, if you live in the EU, many data collection issues do not apply to you since there are laws against this shit in place here. Facebook still will collect data about you however.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah Sairento is cool but the rest is meh to shit unfortunately. Borderlands 2 VR for example is one of these super shoddy cashgrab ports that doesnt even work properly on most headsets. The devs acknowledged those problems in february 2020 and since then... radio scilence. Dont give these despicable scammers even one cent of your money.

Razor

Arcane
Playing right now Half Life 1 trilogy natively on it

With Vorpx? In geometry 3d?

I was researching running the original HL with full geometry but it seems like people were having trouble getting it running.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Vertigo Remastered is an excellent half life type singleplayer shooter. Vertigo 2 will almost certainly be d1p for me.

Perkel

Arcane
official quest 2 news

Quest 2 will get very soon with v28:

- 120hz
- Ail Link - official over wifi streaming much like Virtual Desktop
- "Work space" - ability to track your BT keyboard in vr and have multiple screens for work at the same time

Venser

Erudite
RE4 VR exklusive to Quest 2, doesn't even work on the other Oculus headsets. Fuck Facebook

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Do any of the SkyrimVR mods actually make melee wombat remotely entertaining?

There are much better sword fighting and dungeon crawling games for VR, if you're looking for a quality experience. Skyrim VR is fun mostly because you can mod it to look really cool, or do silly shit like throwing things at people which never gets old. I punch shit so it is like a slightly watered down boxing game like Thrill of the Fight for me, so it's meh. It passes.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I have a Quest 2 and i am pretty happy with it.

Same. The quality improvement of the Quest 2 over the original can not be overstated. Better movement, more convenient to use, the graphics much crisper. It's already my favorite way to do vidya, it keeps me off my ass, and in 5-10 years time shit could be really good if they don't drop the ball.

Doktor Best

Arcane
RE4 VR exklusive to Quest 2, doesn't even work on the other Oculus headsets. Fuck Facebook

And just before you posted the trailer for a PSVR exclusive.

We are still in the inception phase of VR. Investors want to build platforms so they can profit from market dominance later. Establishing walled gardens is the proven method.

As commendable as Valve's approach is, you can kinda see from their output after Alyx that it will still take time for them to justify large investments into the market.

Luckily, each Quest 2 also is a SteamVR headset and maybe with a little luck, PSVR2 will also be SteamVR capable.

Venser

Erudite
And just before you posted the trailer for a PSVR exclusive.

We are still in the inception phase of VR. Investors want to build platforms so they can profit from market dominance later. Establishing walled gardens is the proven method.

As commendable as Valve's approach is, you can kinda see from their output after Alyx that it will still take time for them to justify large investments into the market.

Luckily, each Quest 2 also is a SteamVR headset and maybe with a little luck, PSVR2 will also be SteamVR capable.

Wanderer isn't a PSVR exclusive, it's gonna come out on all platforms. I don't have a big of a problem with exclusives in general, I could just buy another console or whatever to get to play the exclusive I want eventually. But in case of a headset with mandatory Facebook account and huge privacy issues I can't do that, I refuse. If it wasn't for that I'd probably already own Quest 2. And yeah I'm hoping PSVR2 is gonna work on PC too.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Facebook: No ‘Quest Pro’ In 2021 With Quest 2 In Market ‘For A Long While’

Facebook won’t release an Oculus Quest Pro in 2021 and Quest 2 is expected to be in market and selling to buyers “for a long while,” according to the company’s head of virtual reality.

Two of Facebook’s most vocal leaders in virtual reality, Vice President Andrew Bosworth and Consulting Technical Officer John Carmack, took part in a question and answer session on Twitter on Friday, April 16, after soliciting questions from Twitter users. Their conversation covered a number of topics and we’ll digest them all for a round up live discussion on our YouTube channel on Monday, so be sure to subscribe to UploadVR and turn notifications on for an alert when that conversation is underway.

For now, though, we’ve transcribed one of the most interesting segments of the conversation wherein Bosworth indicated the market for the original standalone Oculus Quest that was released in 2019 represents somewhere north of 1 million-plus headsets. That market size, of course, pales in comparison to the uptake of Facebook’s $299 follow-up — Quest 2 — which is lighter, more powerful and less expensive than its predecessor. Yesterday, Resident Evil 4 was announced as the first exclusive to Quest 2. Bosworth also teased the prospect of a forthcoming Quest Pro in another question and answer session earlier this year.

So what exactly should developers focus on if they want to make software for Facebook’s Quest line of headsets? Should they ignore the original Quest? And should interested consumers hold out on buying a Quest 2 if Facebook is releasing new headsets so quickly? The following transcription from the discussion should provide illuminating answers to both those questions:

John Carmack: I’m supportive of Quest 2-only exclusives, but I think that if a developer is doing something to, you know, make money there’s still a pretty substantial market there in Quest 1 users…Boz can you say roughly what percentages we have, obviously Quest 2 is outselling Quest 1 and all of our other headsets, we announced, but for developers to be able to make a kind of a rational decision on how much effort they want to put into Quest 1, it is kind of important for them to know what that could mean.

Andrew Bosworth: “I expect the incentives to be for developers to support Quest 1, absolutely, and to your point, we don’t think it’s too expensive to do that, and you are unlocking, you know, 7 figures of additional users who could potentially buy your software — which is a pretty good deal when you can get it…so the formal answer is that we may eventually allow developers who have really high end apps to target Quest 2 alone, but our very strong recommendation is to support both and that’s actually what we expect to have happen based on historical norms…”

Andrew Bosworth: People are also asking about the Quest 3, which doesn’t exist yet, and everyone who is listening to us who is a reporter there isn’t a Quest 3, there’s only a Quest 2, but I did hint at an AMA earlier this year about Quest Pro because we do have a lot of things in development where we want to introduce new functionality to the headset along the kinds that people theorize that we would want to introduce, and that’s a little ways off still. It’s still not gonna happen this year. For those who are curious, Quest 2 is going to be in the market for a while – for a long while, and it’s gonna be, you know, I think the best bet for the most accessible way to get into VR and have a great experience.

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-oculus-quest-pro/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom