Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Right to Mod or Cheat Act?

My RPG. My Cheating

• Yes

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But that's not a multiplayer feature that's a part of the world as implemented by the devs themselves.

Alex

Arcane
Companies nowadays seem very keen in selling services because that means they don't have to give the user anything he really owns. In a way, I suppose, it is similar to that "you will own nothing and be happy" slogan.

Owning a piece of software should entitle you to modify or tinker with it however you see fit. Of course, if you then use this to do something that is actually illegal or even unfair (such as cracking and distributing a piece of software or cheating at an online game), the fact you owned the original doesn't make it ok either.

But what I find most annoying are the many games that are made into a service with no alternative to purchase them for yourself. Or games which you purchase for yourself but are useless or broken without service aspects. Some games really incorporate the whole "service" thing into them, so it makes sense to have, for instance, MMO games work in this scheme necessarily. But most of them seem just like a way to get around the user's rights.

Harthwain

Magister
Companies nowadays seem very keen in selling services because that means they don't have to give the user anything he really owns. In a way, I suppose, it is similar to that "you will own nothing and be happy" slogan.
They offer "services" because they can charge you more on top of paying for the game itself. With an actual game (product instead of service) you don't need to pay more than one time.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The what now?
There was an American state where the farmers started the 'Right to Repair' bill that allowed them to repair their tractors without being rammed in the ass by the manufacturers who had sole access to the computer software that paired up with the onboard computers on the tractors. The argument being that they owned it, and it didn't come with a service that I thought was somewhat comparable to loot boxes and the developer telling you / preventing you from altering their game.

I think the software on the tractors was available, but it's so expensive it isn't worth it.

Ah yes, John Deere. The Apple of farm equipment.

It wasn't that software was available, its that you had to call them, and pay a massive call-out fee, for them to come and program the ECU if you replaced certain (wear) parts.

All for your safety of course so you dont get hacked, nudge nudge, wink wink

Takamori

Learned
Well in theory we own the game so we should be allowed to do whatever the fuck we want. If I want to add guns, big ass tiddies or whatever into my game. Yeah sure.

I'm just against when you are messing with online environment and you start frustrating other people with your elephant cock mod or whatever the fuck you enjoy.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Well in theory we own the game so we should be allowed to do whatever the fuck we want. If I want to add guns, big ass tiddies or whatever into my game. Yeah sure.

I'm just against when you are messing with online environment and you start frustrating other people with your elephant cock mod or whatever the fuck you enjoy.
Monster hunter world lets you mod your client to do a bunch of nice shit like add new textures to ore spots so they stand out more. Make items stay on the ground longer and a few other cosmetic things. But they also let you access time limited events any time you want, so Capcom can't gate keep the best weapons in the game for months on end. Which is clearly messing with the online environment but for the better.

Takamori

Learned

Monster hunter world lets you mod your client to do a bunch of nice shit like add new textures to ore spots so they stand out more. Make items stay on the ground longer and a few other cosmetic things. But they also let you access time limited events any time you want, so Capcom can't gate keep the best weapons in the game for months on end. Which is clearly messing with the online environment but for the better.
As long you are playing the game doing those events that got mod in, yeah I see no problem. Fucking hate timegate shit and fomo cancer, what I complain is some retard chinese named guy show up and one shot Fatalis for example.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Space it takes up starts to be an issue. Most people don't have enough money for a full room dedicated to old software like youtubers do.
Yeah I mean, I'm not against digital copies or downloading, it's just that the limitation helped.

If it's a mod they probably won't see it unless the game wants you to see other people's custom stuff, like Minecraft. The Naked Chun-Li Incident only happened because the guy was streaming from his PC.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah the ching-chongs sniping you from accross the map, through walls with a WW1 rifle used to be a massive problem recently in Isonzo. Fuck that shit.

Single Player - Do as thou wilt.
Co-op/privately against friends - To be negotiated between parties (remove unit caps in an RTS etc.)... Or revealed as a wonderful surprise when your friends finally notice two hours into the game. :lol:
Online Multiplayer - Never, unless you're a massive faggot.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I only use the console to either fix stuff or "tgl" when I'm playing Morrowind and get somehow stuck.
Do whatever the hell you want, but try not to cheat too hard.
You know what they say:
One thing leads to another.

Herumor

Scholar
Any company or dev that prevents me from modding a single player game or tries to stop me from using cheats, whether it's just basic CheatEngine stuff or save editing, should be firebombed.

std::namespace

Then you should know that you can disable TPM.
sweetheart! the memory management unit is running code that has dma across the system for all you know
not to mention the hypervisor of the virtualization hardware
not to mention the tpm blackbox
and not even mentioning the microcode updates
good lord, you have no fucking idea about anything

std::namespace

btw cheating
its illegal to reverse engineer and/or modify executables that are "protected" by a license in many jurisdictions
YOU ARE ALL CRIMINALS

MerchantKing

Learned
Then you should know that you can disable TPM.
sweetheart! the memory management unit is running code that has dma across the system for all you know
not to mention the hypervisor of the virtualization hardware
not to mention the tpm blackbox
and not even mentioning the microcode updates
good lord, you have no fucking idea about anything
You can disable and replace everything you don't like on your computer if you really wanted to. There's even a power button on it which you can use to turn the computer off and you can remove the plug if you want to do so with minimal effort.
btw cheating
its illegal to reverse engineer and/or modify executables that are "protected" by a license in many jurisdictions
YOU ARE ALL CRIMINALS
You can do whatever you want with anything on your computer. It's not illegal if you don't get caught. Licenses are often more for who has the ability to distribute a good and profit from it. You can reproduce any aspect of a product you want that is copyrighted or patented so long as you don't try to distribute it. You can reverse engineer and modify anything you want. You only tend to get into legal trouble if someone catches you distribute it openly without having a license to do so issued by the patent or copyright holder.

I would expect a Russian however to understand this since there is a rich and sacred tradition of making bootlegs and stealing from work at least since the beginning of the soviet union.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom