Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Harpsichord

Arcane
It wouldn't be a DF-like if a guy wearing power armor couldn't mauled by a squirrel.

Also dunno about this version but in the last one turtles reliably whupped cougars in the ass.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Those random scenario-seeds are kinda hilarious. Solar Flare as a permanent map modifier combined with being unable to build coolers alltogether certainly is something different.

Quigs

Magister
Those random scenario-seeds are kinda hilarious. Solar Flare as a permanent map modifier combined with being unable to build coolers alltogether certainly is something different.

With pemmican, food preservation is easier. With roofs becoming a thing, I wonder if greenhouses will be up soon.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game lacks damn more power systems. It's either geothermal or you are doomed to cover half the map with solars and capacitors.

Ashery

Prophet
Game lacks damn more power systems. It's either geothermal or you are doomed to cover half the map with solars and capacitors.

No wind turbines? In typical starts, you should always aim for a roughly 60/40, or even 55/45, mix of solar and wind. Solar's both got fairly weak max production (1700 compared to 3200(? I know it's >3000)) and produces absolutely nothing during the night, meaning you're relying entirely on batteries at night that only charge at 50% efficiency. Mixing in wind will both allow you to rapidly charge during the day and offset some or most of the battery drain at night.

And what are you doing that uses so much power? I mean, I know my last A13 game was turretless, but I only had one geo, five solar, and four wind turbines and I was well into the end game.

Also, new patch is out that fixes a rather critical issue:

Alpha14b unlocks the missing half of the game events
JULY 18 -TYNAN
With the flurry of support and fraud combat tasks abating, I took a little while to watch Zeebos’ stream. A discussion was had and it quickly became apparent that a lot of the events in the game weren’t really firing – ever. No heat waves, no crazy animals, no crashed ship parts.

Doing some local testing, I realized how bad it was.Mostof the events in the game would never fire.

Holy crap!

I’ve fixed the issue and uploaded a patch. Your save games will be compatible. This will change balance somewhat - I'll be watching to see if it needs adjusting.

Look at it this way – it’s like releasing a juicy content patch three days after release!

Patch notes:

• Fix: Events never fire (except in some exceptional circumstances):
    • Infestation
    • Manhunter pack
    • Psychic ship part crash
    • Poison ship part crash
    • Animal insanity (single)
    • Eclipse
    • Solar flare
    • Psychic drone
    • Toxic fallout
    • Volcanic winter
    • Heatwave
    • Cold snap
    • Flashstorm
    • Short circuit
    • Crop blight
    • Alphabeavers
    • Psychic soothe
    • Refugee chased
    • Thrumbo passes
  • Fix: Storyteller incorrectly adjusts trader frequency in relation to ally count.
  • Fix: Threat cycle event maker sometimes queues events without enough points to actually fire them.

Quigs

Magister
Weird. I was just thinking yesterday how much more I liked the game without the twice-a-week solar flairs and eclipses.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Sun lamps for hydroponics and plant growth. Two sun lamps hogs huge amount of power. Like a legion of turrets and then some more.

Ashery

Prophet
Sun lamps for hydroponics and plant growth. Two sun lamps hogs huge amount of power. Like a legion of turrets and then some more.

You could always throw the sun lamps on their own grid that only has two, maybe three solar panels and no batteries. Plants rest at night, so that allows you to setup a bit of an auto-timer that keeps you from wasting power on the sun lamps at night. I've yet to try this method directly, however, as I found sun lamps a bit pointless in a jungle.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Plants keep growing with sun lamps at night IMO. Anyway they reqire shitload of power and you also need power for coolers/heaters, hydroponics and turrets. All in all, it means geothermals is a must and I always build my colonies around them, when not performing some retarded challenges

Ashery

Prophet
Are you saying they *do* or that they *should*? Because I know for a fact that they rest between the hours of 19h and 6h.

Johannes

Arcane
Never checked really, i just keep sun lamp always on
Click on the plants under the sun lamp during the night, they don't grow, but say "resting". Not fully sure if it's the same under hydroponics, but probably (I only used rooms with normal earth so far).

orcinator

Liturgist
Shit game

Tried playing it, it's like they took dorf fort and removed all the variety and cool stuff in exchange for a somewhat less autistic UI that still makes you spend lots of time on pointless micromanagement like having to manually turn off all your production structures when they're not in use and having to babysit diseased people so they won't run off to the other end of the map to haul that cotton stack instead of getting treatment.

But this does have a ton of mods that might actually make it playable (I know there's a fix for power use), just gotta figure out which ones are actually good.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Build switches/proper power lines so you don't have to turn structures on/off one by one. Use the advanced work-interface and put doctor/patient/bed rest on 1 and their main occupation on 2/3.

Mods are great, you can improve further on the advanced work interface (so it ranges from 1-9 instead of 1-5) and a whole bunch of other stuff that improves the already decent interface. Some of the modded storytellers greatly enhance difficulty too, having 40 centipedes and 40 scythers raid my last colony was quite the fun battle for survival.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
This game is fucking stupid at times. Had a colonist lose his leg to a raid, ordered surgery to install a peg leg. My 14 medicine doctor then screws up the surgery in a fantastic way.

Not sure why he would cut his neck instead but I'm not a doctor.

876cf0dc83.jpg

The doctor then went into a daze due to being "insulted", probably by the guy who was supposed to get a new leg, and promptly wandered into some of my traps, losing a leg and an arm in the process. He was my only skilled doctor. Another one went into a food binge while toxic fallout destroyed all my crops and killed every wild animal, so the colony was going to die to starvation anyway.

Started over a new colony, everything is going great except for a little food shortage (seriously, fuck toxic fallout/cold snaps/blights). As luck will have it I get the message that a couple of manhunting muffalos approach. Already happy that my food shortage has come to an end, I check out how big this "pack" actually is.
f99b4e6baa.jpg
It did not end well. Fuck this game.

Drax

Arcane
This game is fucking stupid at times. Had a colonist lose his leg to a raid, ordered surgery to install a peg leg. My 14 medicine doctor then screws up the surgery in a fantastic way.

Not sure why he would cut his neck instead but I'm not a doctor.

876cf0dc83.jpg

The doctor then went into a daze due to being "insulted", probably by the guy who was supposed to get a new leg, and promptly wandered into some of my traps, losing a leg and an arm in the process. He was my only skilled doctor. Another one went into a food binge while toxic fallout destroyed all my crops and killed every wild animal, so the colony was going to die to starvation anyway.
:lol:
Goddamn Rimworld.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, unfortunately I was too greedy since I had a huge chunk of plasteel right inside my base and only built 5 plasteel turrets (the rest was being mined) and no regular ones. Since I didn't have any good raids (2tribes, 1melee weapon only raid) my colonists were mostly armed with bows and a single charge rifle, I got overrun after killing about 2/3rds of the muffalos.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Fuck divorces. I never had one ever since Tynan implemented relationships but yesterday my best constructor/miner/researcher was dumped by his wife. -25 mood for 3 seasons is ridiculous, he proceeded to immediately go berserk whenever he was done healing up from the previous berserker rage and left the hospital area. Eventually I amputated his leg so he cannot move and go berserk anymore, he'll get a bionic one once the mood modifier disappears. Not sure whether to kill the wife in the sun chamber or leave her be, no hauling/cleaning/firefighting colonists usually aren't that valuable.

Apparently feature-coding for a15 has been finished and only the fixing of bugs remains to be done, hopefully the patch will come soon so I can finally create a meth-brewing hillbilly cannibal colony.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Not sure whether to kill the wife in the sun chamber or leave her be, no hauling/cleaning/firefighting colonists usually aren't that valuable.

What's a sun chamber?

Also, related story:

A new person joins my colony as a random event, and it turns out she's the wife of one of my colonists. So, okay, a happy reunion of long-lost spouses. She appears at the far edge of the map and spends most of the day trekking to the base. In the meantime, the other colonists quickly build a new bedroom for the couple with a nice double bed. She finally arrives at the camp, and...

Divorce. She tracked down her long-lost husband on a backwater planet just to give him the divorce papers. And then settle down. And now I have a fucking brand new double bed and no couple to use it.

Rimworld.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's where my colonists get the DF Noble treatment. Generally a small room with fireproof walls, some wooden furniture and heaters or a boomalope to manfight. Heaters start burning at around 200-250°C and are rather costly, so I prefer having a tamed Boomalope that gets slaughtered by the colonist in question. They then proceed to explode and burn everything down. Thanks to the closed off room temperatures can easily reach 500°C or more, just in case the explosion themself didn't kill the colonist.

You can do similar things with a cooler or two and a small room, has the added benefit of not destroying any of the furniture and you can hack up the colonist for some of your meat-eating animals and human leather for rec-room armchairs. Nothing like sitting in a comfy masterwork-chair made out of your ex-wifes and that abrasive pyromaniac non-hauling asses skin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom