Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I don't know, methodically organ-harvesting and then eating them sounds... more humane.

kris

Arcane
It's where my colonists get the DF Noble treatment. Generally a small room with fireproof walls, some wooden furniture and heaters or a boomalope to manfight. Heaters start burning at around 200-250°C and are rather costly, so I prefer having a tamed Boomalope that gets slaughtered by the colonist in question. They then proceed to explode and burn everything down. Thanks to the closed off room temperatures can easily reach 500°C or more, just in case the explosion themself didn't kill the colonist.

You can do similar things with a cooler or two and a small room, has the added benefit of not destroying any of the furniture and you can hack up the colonist for some of your meat-eating animals and human leather for rec-room armchairs. Nothing like sitting in a comfy masterwork-chair made out of your ex-wifes and that abrasive pyromaniac non-hauling asses skin.

You spawned with the pyromanic trait I see.

I am sure you just can starve them away. Me, I almost love those shitty colonists, in my last game I have freaking two models who mostly just hang out. And one guy that everyone dislike.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I am sure you just can starve them away. Me, I almost love those shitty colonists, in my last game I have freaking two models who mostly just hang out. And one guy that everyone dislike.

Now that would just be boring, wouldn't it? I usually keep next to worthless colonists around because they still have certain uses, but in some colonies food is rather scarce so feeding prisoners or nigh worthless peons is not an option.

kris

Arcane

Now that would just be boring, wouldn't it? I usually keep next to worthless colonists around because they still have certain uses, but in some colonies food is rather scarce so feeding prisoners or nigh worthless peons is not an option.

Yeah, the current scenario kind of force your hand.

The biggest missing thing is really the ability to send people off-map for "missions", like attacking piarate base, trading in city or scavenging. Then maybe my model or courtesan will decide it is better to stay in the city. :D

Beastro

Arcane
You can do similar things with a cooler or two and a small room, has the added benefit of not destroying any of the furniture and you can hack up the colonist for some of your meat-eating animals and human leather for rec-room armchairs. Nothing like sitting in a comfy masterwork-chair made out of your ex-wifes and that abrasive pyromaniac non-hauling asses skin.

Human meats a good extra source of income for, as is selling the skin or the skin furniture you make which becomes more plentiful than any animal once raids start to become huge.

Just need to make sure your butcher(s) are sociopaths and chop em up and to put the human body pile in your freezer far from the rest of the room to keep anyone else from stumbling upon the mass and freaking out. Big problem so me if by the time I get all the bodies and loot of massive raids cleaned up a new one has started up. Was funny when the "Seen a dead body" debuff had no limit and anyone who wasn't a sociopath would instantly break down wandering near the entrance of my base seeing the several dozen bodies laying around from one of those raids.

Still what gets me bored about playing that sort of colony is the fact that you're stuck defending, the game really needs the option to let you raid yourself. I'd really love to play the stereotypical band of reclusive nutjobs who make everything out of the victims they collect from raiding and massacring other settlements. Would be real fun sending out teams to breech people's walls with nades and go around collecting people with stunning weapons.

So long as someone can haul they're not worthless (unless they're a pacifist who's afraid of fires). I don't like melee guys that get a debuff using ranged weps, but they're still good as back up medevacing wounded during gunfights or hanging around to ambush anyone trying to go for my snipers.

Even pacifists are good at those jobs or staying back in the base to put out fires while everyone else out fighting.

I doubt there are cities out there. Mostly tribes and slightly more organized tribers with modern weapons.

Each different group has their own settlement they come from. So you'd have tribal settlements that are very basic, friendly visiting colony ones that would be comparable to what the PCs base typically is, and finally the raiders who'd be more well defended but have less farms and other shit laying around.

If they do add in PC raiding I'd like to see tons more different kinds of settlements, like more cave base focus' colonists, ones full of scientists with more advanced stuff to take (or barter for), or larger scale cities that are planetary hubs supporting/supported by numerous other tiny villages.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, anyone have any survival tips to share?

Also, events scale according to the strength of your colony, right? Does climate have anything to do with it?

I started two colonies in the second coldest climate, and used steel to build everything. I am wondering whether steel walls count as "strength-points", because I was set upon by mechanoids very early in both games. Nothing like two caterpillars and some sniper-bots when all you have is the starting charge rifle and some clubs.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey everyone! We’re currently finishing up Alpha 15. Since it’s basically feature complete, I thought it’d be nice to put up a quick upcoming features list for your perusal. So – here you go!

I don’t know when the new update will come out. It really depends on how many bugs and other issues come up, which is almost unknowable. We may do a public unstable branch test.

EDIT: This list is being updated as features change in response to feedback from the unstable build public testing.

Tutorial

• Added new rich tutorial with step-by-step instructions.
  • Tutorial teaches the basics of setting up a game, building a small self-sustaining colony, and defeating the first
    raider.
  • Tutorial locks out irrelevant controls and highlights relevant controls.
  • At the end of the tutorial, the player can continue the game with a normal storyteller.
Learning helper

• Added new learning helper system to replace yellow pop-up messages and yellow learning alerts.
  • Learning helper sits in the top right of the screen. If something happens relating to a concept the player hasn’t learned, that lesson will be activated and shown on the learning helper. It can then be opened and read. Lessons are automatically marked as learned when the player does the necessary interaction, and can be marked as learned manually. Lessons are shown as needed by circumstance, or on a slow timer. The overall idea is that you’ll never be shown a lesson you already know, but always be shown the lessons you need to know now.
  • Learning helper can be expanded and searched for any lesson, so you can look up how to do a specific thing at any time.
Drugs system

• Added new drugs system. It’s not just beer any more!
  • Drugs typically create up to four effects. Not all drugs have all effects.
    • Primary – The valuable short-term effect, whether it improves mood or work focus or combat effectiveness or makes one immune to a disease.
    • Overdose – Excessive drug usage in a short time can build up blood toxicity, leading to unconsciousness and possible death.
    • Tolerance – Long-term usage of a drug can build up a tolerance which makes subsequent usage less and less effective in producing the high.
    • Addiction – Drug use can form an addiction. This generates a new need for the drug which the pawn will try to feed regularly. If the need isn’t fed, the pawn will develop withdrawal symptoms (low mood, reduced consciousness). Eventually withdrawal will pass and the addiction will go away.
  • Drugs can be assigned for regular taking through the drug policy system. Similar to Outfits, drug policies are an assigned schedule for taking drugs. You can set any number of drugs, each with a frequency. For example, you can assign a colonist to drink 2 beers every day, and take one Malari-Block every 5 days.
  • The drugs are:
    • Beer – Improved mood but worsened capacities. Addictive.
    • Malari-block – Prevents malaria infection for 5 days.
    • Yayo – Stimulant pleasure drug, addictive.
    • Flake – Cheap, short high, very addictive.
    • Amphetamines – Improves work performance, addictive.
    • Marijuana – Improved mood but worsened capacities. More hunger, slower movement. Can form dependence.
    • Go-Juice – Synthetic futuristic combat drug. Boost speed and fighting capacity tremendously. Addictive.
  • Drugs are produced in various ways, typically at the new Drug Lab building, from various precursor chemicals and growable crops. They require research to create.
Deep drilling

• The map now spawns with clusters of underground resources. These can be accessed by building a deep scanner to find them, and then building deep drills on top of them, and then working the drills. This slowly produces the resource.
  • Deep drilling tech is at the end of the tech tree. This should mitigate late-game resource exhaustion problems.
Misc

• You can now produce medicine from herbal medicine, neutroamine (a precursor chemical you buy), and cloth. Requires research.
  • Added passive cooler building. Made of wood and low tech, it cools a room for a short time. Good for passing heat waves as a tribe.
  • Added a ‘copy building’ tool which lets you quickly select the designator for a building through an existing copy of that building.
  • Beer production now takes several stages: Colonists make wort (unfermented beer) at the brewer table, then leave it in fermenting barrels for a while, after which they can harvest it as beer.
    Infestation can now only spawn under a thick roof.
  • Gear tab now shows aggregate stats about armor and comfy temperatures.
  • Raider steal a bit more often now.
  • Factored MapGeneratorDef apart into separate GenStepDefs which can be modded or inserted individually. This will allow modders to change the MapGenerator without blowing away each others’ changes.
  • Added alert: Need warm clothes.
  • Mods can now be dragged to reorder them in the mods page.
  • Re-tuned food finding algorithm.
  • Hunters will no longer hunt without a ranged weapon.
  • Debuffed corn a bit.
  • Reworked trade interface to clearly state what kind of trader they are, and to list items they’re not willing to trade.
  • Reworked trader stock generators so traders carry and accept more sensible items for their type.
  • You can now request traders by calling allied factions. It costs silver.
  • Chance to spring known traps is reduced from 2.5% to 0.4%.
  • Friendly fire chances reduced by 60% for fly-by shots (shots that miss and land in the cell with a pawn have the same chance to hit as before).
  • Added a message when food spoils in storage.
  • Fix: Pawns don’t get ‘catharsis’ mood gainer thought after a mental break.
  • Rename PDW to Machine pistol.
  • Torches and campfires are no longer destroyed near-instantly by rain/snow. They instead consume fuel faster.
  • Torches consume fuel a bit faster overall.
  • Fueled generator consumes fuel faster and holds less fuel.
  • Plant sow and harvest are now slower.
  • Debuffed fists.
  • Reduced volume of idle animal calls at high time speeds.
  • Smithing is now a prerequisite for Machining research.
  • Added a toggleable view that shows roofs in glowing green.
  • Hundreds of other balance changes, text fixes, redesigns, and bug fixes.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • Added passive cooler building. Made of wood and low tech, it cools a room for a short time. Good for passing heat waves as a tribe.
Thank god. I literally had my entire tribe of 8 people die from a heat wave, with no way to counter it. That's why I only play as a tribe in the Boreal Forest climate.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Heat waves are really harsh, even for normal colonies. For me, that's the worse case scenario everytime.

The worst thing I remember was getting a malaria on few of my lads, and then a sudden heat wave appeared. Only doctor capable of treating other lads got the heatstroke, and you can guess what followed. ;_;

Mortmal

Arcane
Okay, anyone have any survival tips to share?

Also, events scale according to the strength of your colony, right? Does climate have anything to do with it?

I started two colonies in the second coldest climate, and used steel to build everything. I am wondering whether steel walls count as "strength-points", because I was set upon by mechanoids very early in both games. Nothing like two caterpillars and some sniper-bots when all you have is the starting charge rifle and some clubs.
Survival tips, stock huge amonuts of pemmican if you are tribal, or build a room with a cooler and set it to 0°c , store all the food inside , helps a lot to prevent starving. For defense , dont build inside mountains build huge thick walls all around your colony except one area, thin wall with a door but the path leading to it should be loaded with defenses. Snipers will be positioned at the end of the path .One power switch to turn off all the turrets at same time when you get manhunter packs.
Events do not reallly scale with your strengh , with cassandra they get harder and harder not taking everything into account. If you were struck by lightning and had a room burnt plus a few important colonist deceased or berserk that wont stop the next bad raid events to trigger.Climate does not matter and your colonists will happily daze wanders naked at -80°C.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
One of my three survivors is a fat gay masochist incapable of dumb labor and skilled labor. He is a sheriff and can hunt, but since animals are so resilient so far, he's kind of just a useless piece of shit. I'm liking that things like this can happen, though. This is an exciting game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bah, don't game it like that, that fat sheriff is the reason why this game is so great. I had a hardworking colony except for one supermodel who refused to do anything. Then there was a radiation storm and everyone else died trying to save the colony while the model just stayed safe inside. She outlived them all but eventually went crazy. She's the only character I remember, would have been a shame to just kill her for being inefficient.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I don't see why organ harvesting prisoners gives a morale penalty. If some pirates charge in and burn half your base down, then why wouldn't you remove their organs and sell them to passing trade-vessels? I mean, I even used medicine to anaesthetise the patients before cutting them up.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Yeah, nothing horrifying about that at all.

The horrifying part is the savagery of the pirate settlements. They literally exist to burn your base down and enslave all your people. You're stuck on a planet trying to form a new settlement. Would you honestly have a morale hit and go berserk because you defeated the barbaric raiders and got your hands on needed materials by selling their organs?

Mortmal

Arcane
You gotta remember, Rimworld is a game for humans with souls, not Codexers.

True true..Who never sold the organs of the prisoners and used the leftover in the nutrient processing machine, or simply fed the pets. I do that all the time, a colony of psychopaths is by far the most profitable type of colonies.
Thats makes me remind a good survival trick, make a dump zone for human corpses far enough from the colonist so they dont see it . Design an animal allowed area there , plenty of meat supply for them , no moral malus for colonists .its a win win trick.
Some mods make it even better, improved organ harvesting mod of course but you can be inventive with the improved travellers mod, setting a guest house then turning temperature well below zero.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Don't forget that prisoners only need 2 peg legs, 1 kidney and lung each as well as no arms, eyes, ears or nose to walk off the map once you decide to release them. They will usually talk about your hospitality once they return to their tribe/pirate enclave and will gather a large group of volunteers that will be visiting you to joyfully donate their body-parts during a so-called 'raid'.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Don't forget that prisoners only need 2 peg legs, 1 kidney and lung each as well as no arms, eyes, ears or nose to walk off the map once you decide to release them. They will usually talk about your hospitality once they return to their tribe/pirate enclave and will gather a large group of volunteers that will be visiting you to joyfully donate their body-parts during a so-called 'raid'.

Holy shit. I know what I'm doing with every prisoner now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom