Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Angthoron

Arcane
So where is it releasing today? Shitty Steam says August 15th :(

Tigranes

Arcane
- Assets recycling from R2
- Rushed end-game (again)
- Glitches and technical problems (again)

And there were people here actually excited about this piece of crap shovelware rpg. After Gothic 3, the unfinished Risen, the ridiculous pirate themed but with no boats Risen 2, and this... take a hint and realize that the Gothic series is long dead.

As opposed to the well finished Gothic 1 and 2 featuring solid endgames, right? Or Gothic 2 not recycling most of its mechanics and story? You're deluded if you think anyone ever liked PB games for that kind of production value. Risen 2's problem is that it surrendered key aspects of its core gameplay and setting - which was also the case with Gothic 3's initially fubared stunlock combat and its MMO questing.

It's like some of you don't actually understand what opinions you have or why, and instead look at whatever bit of text comes up on the screen and immediately bend over backwards around it.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No one is saying they are flawless.

But they aren't shit or mediocre either.

They have a strong fanbase, and im one of them. As polished and solid as games like Skyrim, Witcher, Divinty and other big titles are, the Risen series is still my favourite.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They have a strong fanbase, and im one of them. As polished and solid as games like Skyrim, Witcher, Divinty and other big titles are, the Risen series is still my favourite.
:whatho:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
TVILKTe.gif

Regdar

Arcane

Literally the least polished games (on release) in recent memory.

Although I supposed Witcher is pretty POLISHed. Get it? Uh-huhuhuhhhuh.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Comapred to Risen they are all more polished and flashy and with better prodution values.

Crichton

Prophet
RPS devoted almost a half of their (p)review to the protagonist's sister.

A sister who shouts “FUCKING BASTARDS!” at anything from zombie pirates to lizardmen to small, flightless dragons to angry crabs to fearful monkeys. She seems so full of misplaced anger towards the world and everything in it, though out of combat her attitude is more that of obnoxious know-it-all with a superiority complex. She constantly brags about herself and constantly mocks and belittles me, her brother, even though I do the lion’s share of monster-killing and monkey-scaring, and frankly her entirely impractical and physically impossible Erotic Pirate Fancy Dress outfit makes me embarrassed to be seen with her. There’s an overtone of Lannister to her too, and I don’t mean in the impressive ‘we will rule everything through sheer force of will’ sense, but rather in the ‘I’m a wee bit incesty’ sense. She’s negging me, and we all know why people neg each other, don’t we?

The scenery is beautiful, picking up oysters and checking them for pearls is vaguely therapeutic, and I even find a few pouches of gold amongst the driftwood. This would all be rather tranquil, if not for the insane person barking “BASTARD!” every two minutes or suddenly plunging two anti-gravity grapefruits into my field of vision while I’m trying to stab a crab.

I hate her.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/12/risen-3-diary/

I expect that this game will be garbage, but in it's own way, it might gain a place in cRPG history with this. It's the ultimate NPC trolling effort; can't dismiss, annoying voice, won't fucking shut up. It's like Imoen grew up, started doing drugs and dressing like a waitress in a pirate-themed strip club. It also rather reminds me of the enemies from that second Ubisoft Prince of Persia game; dressed like they're working a street-corner and "taunt" the player every 30 seconds to encourage him to kill them faster.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sad to see the moronic 'follower' concept was held over from Risen 2. The idea behind good PB games is you don't have some immortal npc to save your ass. But, of course, Mass Effect and all that -- gotta have witty banter with companions.

curry

Arcane
First impressions after some 30 minutes of playing:

• The graphics are very good
  • Voice acting is bad
  • Map design is bad. Corridors everywhere just like in R2.
  • Combat is piss easy. You'll just smash buttons and awesome things happen. If you drink a potion you'll be instantly healed and there is no drinking animation. Dying in combat seems impossible.
  • Doesn't feel like Gothic at all

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You were not forced to use companions in Risen 2 if i remember correctly. You could go alone if you wanted to.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The combat is exactly Risen 2.

Can't say for sure about exploration yet, but I'm getting some bad vibes. Having 4 islands to explore right after the tutorial island(1h long or so) is nice though. I really don't like the MC voice actor, he's really boring.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I was hoping they would drop the pirates and island stuff. But nope.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed. Earlier in the thread you can see PR snippets where they say it's going for a more medieval approach... so much for that. Anyway, that the melee combat is the same as Risen 2 is all I need to know.

DefJam101

Arcane
Creating an island with one town and populating it with some monsters and thirty-odd NPCs voiced by drunken british people who give you fetch quests that lead to you fetching bigger things for bigger quests and eventually killing a large evil thing at the end is teh hard

Fuck it, let's just add pirates and call it a day

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jim Sterling / Esacapist

Quests often splinter, leading into multiple smaller quests which themselves may splinter further. After ten hours with the game, I had a log book filled with dozens of missions spread across multiple islands, and I had no clue what to do first. Some quests require you to complete other quests before they can be completed, but good luck finding out what the order is supposed to be! I realize I'm using the word quest a damn lot, but if that frustrates you, you'll get a good idea of what trying to make sense of Risen 3 is actually like. Some of the missions cannot be completed until set points in the game, but the game itself won't tell you that, and you may end up wondering what the hell you're supposed to do as you pursue a dead line of inquiry. Other times, you'll simply have quest marks on your map point to the wrong place, and you'll wander around an environment trying to work out where to go, only to read and reread the log book until you guess a different, unmarked location.

LOL - he has no clue about CRPGs at all…

Great, sounds like the quests are well done.

A monkey could write for the Escapist and RPS, it's the kind of shit where you throw in some random words from the thesaurus and sometimes a sprinkling of Baby's First Feminism / Multiculturalism to disguise the fact that you're just writing whatever half-arsed thing first stumbles into your cranium. Being hip doesn't mean you just write whatever, but that lesson is rarely learned.
Well, he could be right too. After all he's criticising quests and quest structure, something that was never that great in PB games anyway. And the points he raises are quite specific and sound a lot like stuff that has to be patched.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This pile isn't showing up on Steam statistics for some reason but it's good to see that it can't even outsell a month+ old D:OS on its first day.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's the top seller over here. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom