Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen Risen series quickiespective ⛵‍☠️

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
the most intelligent takes on gaming ever formulated on this website, whoever blocks these from front page is not only wrong, but also gay

BruceVC

Magister
I played all 3 Risen games and I enjoyed them, I liked the change of theme from PB with the pirate world and exploring the islands

Nice review by the way. I dont recall anything remotely racist about the games but I doubt I would notice it unless its very blatant. Living in SA you get so use to people playing the racism card you just start ignoring allegations or minor examples of ...what do they call it nowadays, "micro-aggression "

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ive enjoyed every PB game ive tried (even Gothic 3) and consider them better RPGs than most other games out there.
Amongst strictly PB games id rate Risen series as a whole best, Elex series second and Gothic series last. Of the Gothic series tha best one is Gothic 1, and the 2 and 3 are my least favorite PB games.

BruceVC

Magister
Ive enjoyed every PB game ive tried (even Gothic 3) and consider them better RPGs than most other games out there.
Amongst strictly PB games id rate Risen series as a whole best, Elex series second and Gothic series last. Of the Gothic series tha best one is Gothic 1, and the 2 and 3 are my least favorite PB games.

Same as me, but I will add I have thoroughly enjoyed every PB game and Gothic 3 is my favorite Gothic

But ELEX 1 is my favorite PB game ....I cant wait to play ELEX 2 :cool:

JDR13

Arcane

I'm trying to wrap my head around how anyone could think Gothic 2 was one of their worst games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate them all. If you dumb down an RPG into a single character at least give it some good combat. May as well play that shitty Ubisoft Mordor game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I'm trying to wrap my head around how anyone could think Gothic 2 was one of their worst games.
It was ok and still fun but Gothic 1 i think is much better.

Valloo

Novice
I still think that going with pirate theme was a mistake even though I understand why they went into that direction. Voodoo, muskets and etc. felt really weird after generic (in good way) fantasy that was 1st one. But still I wonder if we'll ever get 4th game or if they're done with series.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The best PB game is Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos. And it was not even made by PB (but according to their design principles)

JDR13

Arcane
if i liked elex 1 will i like risen 3?

Not necessarily. Piranha Bytes played it safe with Risen 3. Imo, it's a very average game. It doesn't really do anything bad, but it also doesn't do anything particularly good.

If you like PB's style overall but strongly prefer a pure fantasy setting, then you'll probably like it.

Modron

Arcane
I don't even remember how Risen3 ends outside of the TPing sim boss fight.

thesecret1

Arcane
Rised 1 feels like a pretty good Gothic clone that sadly has shit story and quests. Risen 2 still has shit story and quests, but is more lighthearted and slightly racist. Unfortunately, the gameplay is shit – "serviceable" is the best you can call it, and while you'll probably manage to keep playing until the end, there's nothing about it that's particularly memorable or that'd make you want to replay it. While there were some good ideas strewn about, they weren't enough to make up for the mediocre base. Risen 3 is so shit I just couldn't bear to play more than a couple hours of it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Risen 1 is the best Risen by a long shot. It's not even close. On the other hand, Risen 2 deserves some love simply because...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Looks a bit like Fable. Needs more singing and songs and dancing with little gnomes and stuff.

Tigranes

Arcane
In an alternative universe, we would have seen a crossover smash hit title that features all the joke sidekicks from reputable RPGs. Jaffar, HK-47, Boo, Divinity 2 Chicken Claw, etc. team up to SAVE THE WORLD.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
There is a fix for the climbing bug in R1, by locking refresh rate in NV/AMD control panel for the risen exe. The hires texture mod isn't bad. I used the 1.3 community patch.

I haven't played 3 yet, but so far 1 and 2 are worth what I paid (unless you count Archolos, in which case, massive ripoff).

Edit: the R1 boss fight is cancer. Resorted to /minsky, ~, god and even the end cinematic is a letdown.

Last edited:

Mitleser2020

Scholar
A Risen 2 video review/retrospective from 2022.

As a sequel to Risen 1, Risen 2 has some interesting new twists on the familiar formula, namely to do with the new pirate setting and an increased emphasis on the storytelling, but unfortunately several other aspects (ie, most of the gameplay systems) feel like a step backward from Risen 1. Overall, it's somewhat disappointing, because instead of simply improving and expanding on the success of the first game, they chose to change practically everything -- many things for the worse -- to the point that it doesn't even really feel like a sequel to Risen 1. Still, there's some redeeming quality in the main quest and the storytelling, so it's not wholly unpleasant to play -- it just feels like a mediocre, underwhelming, and sometimes frustrating follow-up to a modest classic.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks a bit like Fable. Needs more singing and songs and dancing with little gnomes and stuff.
It's nowhere near fable. Fable is as railroaded, high fantasy and full of unfunny jokes as it can. Risen is mostly open world, fantasy but with a twist, and has good mix of jokes and more serious dialogues in Risen 1, while being full of jokes in Risen 2 but quite entertaining ones. Well, Risen 3 fails, so eh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom