Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League out now

Ezekiel

Arcane
Never going to budge on this. Arkham series is artistically ugly, as I told you a year ago (Page 4). Bodies, suits, faces, it's all shit.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Your post was (like always) mostly nitpicks about how the game doesn't meet your ideal vision of a Batman game
Which ultimately results in you not recognizing and appreciating the game's good qualities

I'll be replying to the parts of it which are revelant to the matter at hand

The Arkham games' stories are hurt by being drawn out
Knight sure
Asylum and City are imo well paced (haven't played Origins so can't tell)
City's pacing in particular I found to be up there with RE4 - the game doesn't overstay it's welcome, knows exactely when to shift gears and is always throwing new shit at the player until the very last boss

I want simpler character designs. Stop covering them in so much armor. It takes away from the theatricality of those characters and doesn't show off their forms so well.
I think the images I posted previously prove they aren't overdesigned and hide their forms
I don't want this ugly mix of photorealism and comic dimensions, like in the Arkham games. Characters should be muscular, but not so roided out and rectangular.
You can literally see in the images posted previously that Batman has a perfect V shape body
There's no physique more aesthetically pleasing than that

Also you there's more to art style than just character designs
All 3 main games hold up very well today - with Knight still somehow being more impressive than 90% of every AA and AAA released since
Asylum and City's levels make an excellent use of Gothic and Art Nouveau+Deco respectively
Even in Asylum the enviroments are nicely realised and highly detailed

Ezekiel

Arcane
He looks weird in that Arkham City video you posted. Realistic textures, but cartoon jaw and shoulders too wide for his head. Hate how metallic and angular his boots and gloves are, hate that the suit itself is made of different flexible plates sewn and (what I'm assuming the holes are) punched together. That's the over-design we were talking about. Joker's head is probably the worst in terms of cartoon proportions mixed with realistic textures and high detail.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Did you really complain about the batman cartoon jaw? He is accusing you of nitpicking and you had to go full retard on it...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Asylum and City are quite clearly stylized, Knight is the one that leans heavily into photo-realism

but cartoon jaw and shoulders too wide for his head
ACModel-Bruce.jpg
Arkham-City-Render-Batman.png
He looks fine, good proportions
A jaw that would make the gigachad proud:
edd1b3c51aa67674ee4f8a0c7363d80e.jpg

Also, now upon examining the suit more cosely - the cowl, the jaw and the general figure of Bruce, seem somewhat reminiscent of Alex Ross's rendition of the character:

Hate how metallic and angular his boots and gloves are, hate that the suit itself is made of different flexible plates sewn and (what I'm assuming the holes are) punched together
This is the concept art for the suit in Asylum (which they reused in City):
City however didn't use reused the fully upgraded plate suit
I think the reason for that was to have the visual motiff of his suit getting progressively degraded throughout the night (which was admittedly a nice touch)

Looking at this art (the one the middle) and the in-game image above, the suit doesn't seem to feature any plates
The lines between the body parts are simply seams in the fabric, I am guessing the reason is to make the suit as less restricting as possible

Finally the boots and gloves never striked me as metalic but rather something like a really hard synthetic material

Joker's head is probably the worst
The Joker rendition is also fine, the character is supposed to look unsettling
And it's clearly an homage to his 70's comicbook version:

Monolith is developing a Wonder woman game right? That will be another trashfire.
I hate all the outfits in superhero games and movies. As mostly an outsider, why is that when I open the DC and Marvel thread in Codex Public Library I see the newly drawn comic books with characters in body-conforming textile outfits, but whenever I look at any superhero game there's all this ugly plate armor, padding and other shit that takes away from the human form? Arkham series, Gotham Knights, presumably Wonder Woman, always, always the same.
Designers of movies and games can afford to over design costumes. They only have to make an asset once. Sure, it takes longer, but once its done its done. Artists in comic books have to redraw whatever outfit they give a character, if they say, trace over 3d models, people will notice and complain. So that encourages simpler designs, which when done well, tend to stand out more.

Movies have to make multiples of costumes.

lightbane

Arcane
The issue with the Arkham games is that almost all of the males looked like steroid freaks, but that was an issue of that version of the Unreal Engine, which does just that (60 years old bodybuilder Jim Gordon was hilarious).

DeepOcean

Arcane
This game development is the definition of the sunk cost fallacy, this thing should had been aborted years ago.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Okay, maybe not cartoon jaw, but almost no one on the planet has a jaw like that, which makes it look unusual and yet bland in those detailed textures. Would post pics of famous macho actors, including Schwarzenegger, to show even they were more ordinary there, but this phone makes it a pain.

The suit looks more rigid than regular fabric. Why else stitch/sew it together like that? I prefer the simpler look.

Might make a detailed post on how almost all the characters of both sexes in City look like shit, after I come home.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Also, no, I don't just shit on these games because they are not my ideal, but because their design is clunky and popamole to the max. Such terribly easy combat and dumb stealth.

i rarely watch random videos, even those posted here. this last one is perfect proof why i don't. i never heard so much deranged retarded shit.

Cologno

Educated
Okay, maybe not cartoon jaw, but almost no one on the planet has a jaw like that, which makes it look unusual and yet bland in those detailed textures. Would post pics of famous macho actors, including Schwarzenegger, to show even they were more ordinary there, but this phone makes it a pain.

The suit looks more rigid than regular fabric. Why else stitch/sew it together like that? I prefer the simpler look.

Might make a detailed post on how almost all the characters of both sexes in City look like shit, after I come home.
00.large.jpg

Yeah, this guy would probably tell you to quit talking out your ass.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Okay, maybe not cartoon jaw, but almost no one on the planet has a jaw like that,

That's fucking crazy. Almost no one on the planet dresses up with bats all over their clothes and beats up criminals using dumb bat shaped weapons either. I wonder if these things are related.

View attachment 46485
A bit rich coming from you who brofisted that guy who implied Batman's jaw is normal. Now you concede almost no one on the planet has a jaw like that. Seems to me like you can't decide if these games lean stylistically towards realism or the unrealistic (a jaw like that being possible, I guess, but extremely rare, thus unrealistic). Which is the problem with the art style/graphics. It's fuggly in between the two. Bland look for realistically textured Batman. Would prefer a handsome but believable (bone-wise) fellow who built himself into a muscular athlete.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Do the Batman games look like that Dredd art? Like drawings in motion? No. They appear more realistic, texture and line-wise. So just stop.

Caim

Arcane
So I gave Arkham Origins a shot. It's definitely a lot more jank than Arkham Knight (I had the opening boss fight glitch out on me by having the sound go out and the boss started to flicker in and out of reality during a QTE), but I haven't had to drive the Batmobile so thus far it's pretty even.

The game also gives you three unlock tracks to gague how far you're progressing in skill level, except you need to do these tasks one by one in order, and you need to check their own page (which is three menus deep) to see what you need to do and how far you've progressed. They're also not much of a skill indicator: I've completed one of these two-thirds through after doing the opening mission and being let loose on the open world. Oh, and Riddler and his bullshit trophies are back, except they've been replaced by data packages that you need to collect and cameras you need to destroy. That's TWO sets of shit to do!

-M-

Educated
The game also gives you three unlock tracks to gague how far you're progressing in skill level, except you need to do these tasks one by one in order, and you need to check their own page (which is three menus deep) to see what you need to do and how far you've progressed.

If I remember correctly, some of those unlocks can only be completed during specific story missions. So if you accidentally miss it the first time, it's locked out the rest of the game.

The design in this game is really horrendous.

Silverfish

Arbiter
In fairness, Origins also has new game plus, so if you even want 100% (don't do this in an Arkham game), it's no big deal to get whatever you missed later.

Caim

Arcane
The game also gives you three unlock tracks to gague how far you're progressing in skill level, except you need to do these tasks one by one in order, and you need to check their own page (which is three menus deep) to see what you need to do and how far you've progressed.
If I remember correctly, some of those unlocks can only be completed during specific story missions. So if you accidentally miss it the first time, it's locked out the rest of the game.

The design in this game is really horrendous.
Oh. Oh fuck. I really hate this shit, so Imma go look up how to avoid this.

In fairness, Origins also has new game plus, so if you even want 100% (don't do this in an Arkham game), it's no big deal to get whatever you missed later.
New Game Plus is a really shitty excuse for pulling perma-missable shit like this.

lightbane

Arcane
So, what happened with the new Poison Ivy being a shameless stand-in for Greta T.? Does she yell "HOW DARE YOU!!!" whenever she's attacked?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Never going to budge on this. Arkham series is artistically ugly, as I told you a year ago (Page 4). Bodies, suits, faces, it's all shit.
It's hideous from a gameplay perspective.
Context sensitive mess in exploration/stealth (Hope you don't accidentally use Robin's only smoke grenade when trying to get away on a Predator map. Same type of thing with vent covers, if I remember correctly.) and, combat-wise, sticky animations and automation that never thrills or makes you feel truly in control.

Viata

Arcane
Worse shit in the series was the "detective mode". You press a button and you can see behind walls, among other shit. It simplified the whole detective gimmick. I hated that and hated that even that dumb Tomb Raider remake game had it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom