Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Role-Playing RPG Games with strong char creation?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
game looks cool but the steam review are worrying

Martyr

Arcane
game looks cool but the steam review are worrying
the game was originally intended to have a "multiplayer"-like system like in Dark Souls, so that other players can enter your world and help you or fight against you. nowadays, I guess that aspect of Absolver is dead.
other than that, it was fun. not as fun as Dark Souls 1/2/3, but what other game (with that gameplay) is, tbh?

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
'Wizards & Warriors' has a robust character creation / development system. You can get it on GOG.

Thal

Prophet
The games you are looking for are The Temple of Elemental Evil and Icewind Dale II.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you are looking into tactical games,, no game beats the character customization of pathfinder kingmaker. If you are looking into action games, no game beats the Dragon's Dogma, advice > Your character "weight" is not an only an "cosmetic number", it affects climbing, item carrying, stamina regen, etc.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Freedom Force. Sure it's actually a tactical role-playing game, but since you're having such a bad time with pure RPGs lately, I thought the suggestion might be worthy of consideration. The game appears to meet the initial criteria, having an extensive character generator and a multitude of powers to use within a destructible toybox in which every object has a weight limit and health bar. Create a bruiser who flings cars and uses lampposts as clubs, a tank who absorbs damage, a fast ninja who's impossible to hit, a grenadier whose explosives cause status effects, a ranged damage dealer whose energy beams fling enemies 50 feet into the air, or an unstable wild card that's a danger to everyone around them. Powers can be customised in a number of ways, from practical combat effects to superficial visual effects.

Only problem is self-made heroes can't join the campaign right away. Each mission rewards the player with prestige points that can be used to recruit others. The total cost of a hero depends on their power. Create a demi-god who can solo a mission, and the campaign will nearly be over before you can afford them.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Freedom Force
looks naet but I really cant stand superhero themed stuff and this just reminds me of like galactus and the fantastic four

thanks for the advice and sorry for ebing picky and negative but I just can't help it it's how I am

If you are looking into tactical games,, no game beats the character customization of pathfinder kingmaker
hmm
idk
doesnt this have like steampunk themed areas and lore? I hate that kind of stuff
sry

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
doesnt this have like steampunk themed areas and lore? I hate that kind of stuff

No, the story has much more relation with feyfolk and ancient mysterious curses, the closest thing to an steampunk technology is alchemist who can craft bombs and use mutagens, but even him, is much more like an medieval alchemist than an steampunk alchemist. There are 15 classes, each one with 3 archetypes and some of then with unique choices, like being an sorcerer of silver draconic bloodline, fey bloodline, abyssal bloodline, serpentine bloodline<...> and it affects a lot of things on your character. This only talking about base classes, there are prestige classes, tons of races, tons of "sub races" for tieflings and aasimars, attributes who matters, skills <<<insert much more things>>> https://youtu.be/POgyozJO070?t=371

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Kingmaker is good and is a proper RPG, but it also has endless trash fights which made me quit.

The best I ever saw was an MMO called Vanguard which is sadly dead. Returns in a few years (emulator). Besides face/body sliders, you got about 10 attribute points every level which had a big impact on your character. So I built my bard to be tanky and he really was. Then later when I started playing with a tanky Shaman, I respecced the Bard to be pure dps and he became like a glass cannon. Gear makes an even bigger difference too and there were a lot of slots. Also some classes had multiple specializations, like the Shaman could pray to a Bear spirit and became tough, got a bear pet, and got tanky buffs. Or pray to the Phoenix patron and it becomes a spell DPS, or a Wolf patron and became a melee dps. Kind of like the WoW Druid which can morph into a bear/etc, but it was semi permanent. I cry at night thinking about that game :,(

Actually the best of all in terms of very varied character creation is another MMO, but a tiny one made by 2 people, called Minions of Mirth, which could also be played offline. It has unbelievable character customization. You might still be able to get it, but it is old now and the controls are a bit floaty. But besides that it is awesome. I can describe it more if you are interested.

Last edited:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
'Wizards & Warriors' has a robust character creation / development system. You can get it on GOG.
sry but thats way too much boomer generic rpg

The games you are looking for are The Temple of Elemental Evil and Icewind Dale II.
I;m retroactively boycotting both troika and obsidina after the disasters of arcanum and poe

Just like a woman to complain about fucking everything.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The best I ever saw was an MMO called Vanguard which is sadly dead.
i'm too shy for mmos

Most of them can be soloed now anyway. Vanguard I rarely grouped because it had population problems and I liked to play it alone anyway. (Or multibox which is still alone.) Minions of Mirth has to be played offline now anyway. You can maybe run it as a server for other people to join, but I only play it offline. It is an amazing game, but it doesn't have a whole lot of content. I complete it in about a month or two. It can be a grind though unless you tweak the xp rate or use a cheat or something. I didn't care about the grind the first time I played it but nowadays I can't be bothered. But damn... the character building was as good as it gets in that game. You can multiclass twice. Build in many ways. And you can have multiple characters that all exist inside your first character so you don't have to control them all.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker is good and is a proper RPG, but it also has endless trash fights which made me quit.

The best I ever saw was an MMO called Vanguard which is sadly dead. Y<...>

- Pathfinder Kingmaker has endless trash fights
- Mentions an MMO

MMORPG's are fullfiled with trash battles and honestly, battles on PfK require tactics and planning, mainly on higher difficulties. I can play the endless dungeon all day(the story mode is 10000 times better), but can't stand any mmo that i've tried, not only due boring fithts but due other mechanics that i will not detail to go off topic. If you wanna read, here is the link > https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...he-same-freedom-and-depth-as-a-sp-rpg.128799/

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
True MMOs have a lot of trash fights too, yet they still manage to hook people because every kill takes you one tangible step closer to something you really want. Kingmaker just feels like pissing into the wind. Also some MMOs have much more interesting combat than clicking the same few huge spells you used the last 1000 times, and then resting.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
True MMOs have a lot of trash fights too, yet they still manage to hook people because every kill takes you one tangible step closer to something you really want. Kingmaker just feels like pissing into the wind. Also some MMOs have much more interesting combat than clicking the same few huge spells you used the last 1000 times, and then resting.

Generally is just an piece of gear in a game where everyone is a clone and have the same IQ/muscle who are determined by the jacket that they are wearing. And the combat is "spam the same rotation, spam the same rotation" over and over. PfK can't be solved by few huge spells. You can't kill an Jabberwock in few casts. And times matter, so if you rest after spending your best spells, it will have consequences. And if you can end an "trash fight" with an single wail of the banshee, then you spend a short time on trash fights...

Lemming42

Arcane
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Really though between this and the last thread I get the impression the hypothetical perfect game you're looking for doesn't exist. There's some kind of objet petit autre thing going on here. Unironically might be time to move to FPS games or something, RPGs as a genre are basically just a constant stream of half-baked letdowns that will never match our hopes for them, and you have to accept that brutal fact to continue enjoying the genre.

FPS games, meanwhile? Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune, Outlaws, Doom 2, even shit like F.E.A.R. 1 and Red Faction. All of these will be more fun than your inevitable incoming thirteenth attempt to play Expeditions: Vikings - guaranteed.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You are comparing the worst MMOs with a Kingmaker boss fight...

My point is that in general, trash mobs on PfK can be solved with an single fireball at "low level" and at mid level, with 2 or 3 casts, even on hard difficulty and there are variations on enemy positioning, traps, etc. On MMOs, trash mobs takes dozens of seconds to die and are always the same... As for mmos, in my thread asking for an mmo without most of mmo bs, people only mentioned pre wow mmos. Unfortnetly most of mmo bs are an genre trope after wow. The unique thing that i hate on PfK is when i need to watch an loading screen to fight trash mobs on open world area when i an high level(lv 15 on my playtrougth)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom