Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Role-Playing RPG Games with strong char creation?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Really though between this and the last thread I get the impression the hypothetical perfect game you're looking for doesn't exist. There's some kind of objet petit autre thing going on here. Unironically might be time to move to FPS games or something, RPGs as a genre are basically just a constant stream of half-baked letdowns that will never match our hopes for them, and you have to accept that brutal fact to continue enjoying the genre.

FPS games, meanwhile? Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune, Outlaws, Doom 2, even shit like F.E.A.R. 1 and Red Faction. All of these will be more fun than your inevitable incoming thirteenth attempt to play Expeditions: Vikings - guaranteed.
It is true, RPGs generally suck ass, you just have to get used to having your ass sucked and then you can finally play them to appreciate the good bits. Also I think I am Hivemind's objet petit autre, and she is mine.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You are comparing the worst MMOs with a Kingmaker boss fight...

My point is that in general, trash mobs on PfK can be solved with an single fireball at "low level" and at mid level, with 2 or 3 casts, even on hard difficulty and there are variations on enemy positioning, traps, etc. On MMOs, trash mobs takes dozens of seconds to die and are always the same... As for mmos, in my thread asking for an mmo without most of mmo bs, people only mentioned pre wow mmos. Unfortnetly most of mmo bs are an genre trope after wow. The unique thing that i hate on PfK is when i need to watch an loading screen to fight trash mobs on open world area when i an high level(lv 15 on my playtrougth)
The Kingmaker trash fights, yeah they die easy, but you have to travel all the way there on the map, then travel all the way there on foot, then click your fireball + whatever to blast everything. Then rest to get back to full for any proper fight you might come across. And then you have to repeat this 1000000000 times. I guess how bad this is depends on how much you enjoy the game in general, which for me, wasn't much. I don't like stories generally, I don't like the characters, the exploration, the town management gimmick, and anything else. I only really play games like that for the boss battles, and if they are spread out evenly through a bunch of chores, I can usually abide. But 1 boss for every 1000 trash fights and miles travelled was too much for me.

As for MMOs, the only ones I like (and mentioned above) are not like the modern ones with 1234 spell rotations.

Insert Title Here
Elona (or better yet ElonaPlus):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gOQxHX83E

I'm not going to watch this whole video but it seems like he's going to explain it well enough.
That game seems awesome but every time I tried it, the UI and controls made me want to :timetoburn:

Half of the stuff like equipment menus being selectable with the entire alphabet is used by literally nobody, just select things with the arrow keys and zxcv. It is absolutely worth it, can be rocky to learn at first but once you're in, it's a 200IQ experience.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And I didn’t even tell you about the endgame yet! This game has a game after the game called an endgame so the game isn’t even over when it ends! !
You mean it's 40 hours or so until the game becomes interesting? no thanks.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Exampels of games to not suggest:

Expeditions: Vikings
Reasons: builds are all extremely boring and have limited viability and balance, combat is tedious and filled with boring trash mobs

POE 2
reasons: char creation is good but actual combat and gameplay is largely tedium, diffuclty jumps between braindead trash and artificial difficultly tier encounters that require you to cheese them

AOD
Reasons: the perfect game but I have already played it, same is the case with most well known titles in this dumb hobby
Arcanum, though it must have been suggested a few times already.

If not, ban everyone who has posted before me.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Arcanum and Underrail seem to be the best offers here.

If you don't like them OP, screw you.

Also, try Atom RPG. Basically Fallout in Soviet post-nuclear reality.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Kingmaker trash fights, yeah they die easy, but you have to travel all the way there on the map, then travel all the way there on foot, then click your fireball + whatever to blast everything. Then rest to get back to full for any proper fight you might come across. And then you have to repeat this 1000000000 times. I guess how bad this is depends on how much you enjoy the game in general, which for me, wasn't much. I don't like stories generally, I don't like the characters, the exploration, the town management gimmick, and anything else. I only really play games like that for the boss battles, and if they are spread out evenly through a bunch of chores, I can usually abide. But 1 boss for every 1000 trash fights and miles travelled was too much for me.

Yes, but i liked the story, finally an game that treated feyfolk with the well deserved respect, liked the exploration, the dungeon layouts, the town management(but putted on effortless due the fact that i an awful at it) and the character leveling. Feyfolk are so often represented as an cute "kawaii" creature when they live in a world where the nature is much more "extreme", with dragonfolk like jabberwock, and house sized carnivorous plants... They feel like outsiders from an world with an much stronger and intense nature, not just "cute pixies" and sexy nymphs. The kingdom management is not gimmicky IMO and all companions have interesting story and quests IMO.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
OP only wants attention, she doesn't care about games. If she takes the same approach searching for a man, she is going to end like this lady here:

230px-Eleanor_Abernathy.png

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
OP only wants attention, she doesn't care about games. If she takes the same approach searching for a man, she is going to end like this lady here:
my RPG requirements: good combat, deep and meaningful character creation with a classless system, ideally not party based, good graphics but not too good so it lags on my laptop
my bf requirements: minimum 6'6, 90-115kgs, max 15% bf(can be up to 18% in winter), caring and generous personality with a protective streak, ideally white(blue eyes, dark hair), good looking but not too good so cheats on me with more attractive people

ah yes the game where harm is the most blatantly broken thing ever and where the combat feels like hammering nails into your eye is something that exactly fits the criteria in the OP

Deus Ex
Warband
played both, but thanks for the advice they would work

Really though between this and the last thread I get the impression the hypothetical perfect game you're looking for doesn't exis
yeah, I guess you are right
:(

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I tried jagged alliance but the graphics and overall feel of the responsiveness felt horrible to me

I turned it off like 10 minutes after getting off the helicopter

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I tried jagged alliance but the graphics and overall feel of the responsiveness felt horrible to me

Odd. Maybe your character had low Agility? Jagged Alliance 2's movement rules, UI, pathfinding and isometric projection are more precise and responsive than any RPG in existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom