Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Wait what, do the expansions come within the 70 GBs, or is that uber-bloated wasted space only for the base game?
I'm assuming it covers the base game and the two expansions. The Steam version of Medieval 2 contains its expansions as well and their requirements aren't listed separately either.

70gb is still pretty rediculous, even for the expansions.
Then again, steam said Vermintide 2 needs 90gb, and it only takes up 50gb for me.
Which is still pretty heavy for what it is, but at least its less than what steam was projecting.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Wait what, do the expansions come within the 70 GBs, or is that uber-bloated wasted space only for the base game?
I'm assuming it covers the base game and the two expansions. The Steam version of Medieval 2 contains its expansions as well and their requirements aren't listed separately either.

Then again, steam said Vermintide 2 needs 90gb, and it only takes up 50gb for me.
Which is still pretty heavy for what it is, but at least its less than what steam was projecting.
If I recall correctly I remember reading that Steam needs 1.5 to 2x the file size during the downloading/patching process because it downloads the files separately and then copy the necessary ones to the installation folder.
I'm still holding onto my belief that the 70GB requirement is a placeholder or a mistake. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

If I recall correctly I remember reading that Steam needs 1.5 to 2x the file size during the downloading/patching process because it downloads the files separately and then copy the necessary ones to the installation folder.
I'm still holding onto my belief that the 70GB requirement is a placeholder or a mistake. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

If true that would mean that Rome Remastered actually requires 35-46gb
Which is still pretty bad but manageable.

Shrimp

Arbiter
System Requirements on the store page have been updated to 45 GB. I don't know if any of the other requirements also have been updated, but at least it seems like it's not 70GB after all.
It's also worth noting that there's now a separate (free) downloadable Enhanced Graphics Pack added to the page. I'm guessing this is the 4K texture pack so you won't have to download it if you don't want to use the 4K textures.

I don't know if the 45GB is taking the 4K texture pack into account though. I found a post that says the game's preload only is a 24GB download, but I haven't preordered it myself out of principle so I won't be able to verify that claim.
After reading the updated FAQ it does seem like it's ~45GB for the main game then ~30GB for the optional 4K textures

What is the Total War: Rome Remastered Enhanced Graphics Pack?
This piece of free DLC will provide UHD textures in battles and on the campaign map. It is offered as an optional download to keep the base game file size down. It is around 30 gigabytes in size, and available to everyone who owns Total War: Rome Remastered. It can be pre-loaded alongside the base game.

What if I don’t install it?
In that case you will be running with all the Rome Remastered enhancements, but without UHD textures in battles or on the campaign map.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Do you drop everything every time gudea uploads a video?

Wish they wouldn't call the high res texture packs '4k' / UHD, since the benefits of using it probably isn't limited to those using an UHD monitor. Oh well, fingers crossed they did a good job on the UW/21:9 1440p UI scaling/positioning.

(Don't get why people be hatin' on EB. Nothing is perfect, and it leverages the available mechanics of the game in a unique manner for a unique purpose.)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was having a playaround with the data files, the ethnicity stuff is all stored in descr_unit_variation.txt and it's all region based.

Some units also have forced ethnicities, so will never be mixed based on regional recruitment. One of the gallic swordsman for example has these tags: ethnicity gauls, Central_Gaul, don't_allow_mixed, don't_allow_regional, don't_allow_custom

As an example of regional ethnicity recruitment data:
Middle_Egypt
{

variant
{
ethnicity egyptian
distribution 75
}

variant
{
ethnicity african
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity mediterranean
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity north_african
distribution 15
}
}
Doesn't seem too bad, but it's probably hella easy to mod out anyway if desired.

A horse of course

I was having a playaround with the data files, the ethnicity stuff is all stored in descr_unit_variation.txt and it's all region based.

Some units also have forced ethnicities, so will never be mixed based on regional recruitment. One of the gallic swordsman for example has these tags: ethnicity gauls, Central_Gaul, don't_allow_mixed, don't_allow_regional, don't_allow_custom

As an example:
Middle_Egypt
{

variant
{
ethnicity egyptian
distribution 75
}

variant
{
ethnicity african
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity mediterranean
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity north_african
distribution 15
}
}
Doesn't seem too bad, but it's probably hella easy to mod out anyway if desired.

Interesting that they have both "African" and "North African" variations. Does "North African" mean they add several mixed dark/light-skinned skins, or just that they add a bunch of "vaguely brown" skins? I wonder if there's a limit to the ethnic variants - could be some cool modding potential there.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an example:
Middle_Egypt
{

variant
{
ethnicity egyptian
distribution 75
}

variant
{
ethnicity african
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity mediterranean
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity north_african
distribution 15
}
}

Interesting that they have both "African" and "North African" variations. Does "North African" mean they add several mixed dark/light-skinned skins, or just that they add a bunch of "vaguely brown" skins?

Yes, they've got separate models and textures for Africans and North Africans. Looks like there is several variations within each "category" as well.

Edit full list:
ethnicities
{
african
arabic
berber
caucasiandark
berserker
caucasian
eastasian
egyptian
mediterranean
north_african
indian
}

Melcar

Arcane

As an example:
Middle_Egypt
{

variant
{
ethnicity egyptian
distribution 75
}

variant
{
ethnicity african
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity mediterranean
distribution 5
}

variant
{
ethnicity north_african
distribution 15
}
}

Interesting that they have both "African" and "North African" variations. Does "North African" mean they add several mixed dark/light-skinned skins, or just that they add a bunch of "vaguely brown" skins?

Yes, they've got separate models and textures for Africans and North Africans. Looks like there is several variations within each "category" as well.

Edit full list:
ethnicities
{
african
arabic
berber
caucasiandark
berserker
caucasian
eastasian
egyptian
mediterranean
north_african
indian
}

I propose a new sub score in our reviews. Racially approved.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I wonder if there's a limit to the ethnic variants - could be some cool modding potential there.

They don't look hardcoded, looks like you can define as many as you want.

As you say, pretty cool modding potential.

A horse of course

I wonder if there's a limit to the ethnic variants - could be some cool modding potential there.

They don't look hardcoded, looks like you can define as many as you want.

As you say, pretty cool modding potential.

Is there any indication of male-female variants within the same unit (as in Attila?). As I recall this is was extremely difficult to mod in Rome. It was possible, but with weird bugs like sharing the same voices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom