Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Awards 2008 - Prestigious Codex Edition

RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Wrath of the Lich King
Best Visuals: Fable 2
Best Sound: Wrath of the Lich King
Honorable Mention: Dead Space, Call of Duty 5

For RPGs of all time, the sections are as follows:

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Halo
Runner Up: Halo 2
Third Place: Halo 3
Honorable Mention: Counter-Strike, Call of Dutys, Super Mario Brothers.

Now that lulz have been gotten out of the way,

RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: SoZ (pending...), Chrono Trigger DS for now
Best Visuals: Fallout 3 (sigh), SoZ (pending...)
Best Sound: Fallout 3 (sigh), SoZ (pending...)
Honorable Mention: King's Bounty's an RPG? If so then it goes here and GOTY. Um TWitcher: EE? (Slow year for RPG's eh?)

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Arcanum
Runner Up: Fallout
Third Place: PS: T
Honorable Mention: System Shock 2, Darklands, Ultima 7, Star Trail

mondblut

Arcane
RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Were there any, besides new batch of Spiderweb games? Oh ok. Avernum 5. It might suck, but it IS an RPG.
Best Visuals: Fallout 3. It sure looks better than Avernum 5, and other than that, I have nothing to compare it to.
Best Sound: my Winamp playlist.
Honorable Mention: duh... I played some Civ4: Canalization this year, does it count?

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Pools of Darkness
Runner Up: Wizardry 7
Third Place: Dark Sun 1
Honorable Mention: Curse of Azure Bonds, Dark Queen of Krynn, Dark Sun 2.

Suck it up, LARPers.

You CAN vote for ARPGs.

What for?

dagorkan

Arbiter
mondblut said:
RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Were there any, besides new batch of Spiderweb games? Oh ok. Avernum 5. It might suck, but it IS an RPG.
Best Visuals: Fallout 3. It sure looks better than Avernum 5, and other than that, I have nothing to compare it to.
Best Sound: my Winamp playlist.
Honorable Mention: duh... I played some Civ4: Canalization this year, does it count?

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Pools of Darkness
Runner Up: Wizardry 7
Third Place: Dark Sun 1
Honorable Mention: Curse of Azure Bonds, Dark Queen of Krynn, Dark Sun 2.

Suck it up, LARPers.

You CAN vote for ARPGs.

What for?
Did you try Eschalon?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't played any RPGs from this year yet.

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Runner Up: Fallout
Third Place: Deus Ex :D
Honorable Mention: Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Geneforge, NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, Exile III: Ruined World

That said, I still have lots of RPGs to play.

Tintin

Arbiter
Kingdom Hearts.

Anyways, I don't know enough about this year's RPGs, and I don't have any "ranking" of preference either. By my "favourites" of all time are Daggerfall, Planescape:Torment, Betrayal at Kondor, and honorable mentions to Morrowind, Fallout (which I hadn't played until this year), and, if it counts, System Shock 2.

Disconnected

Scholar
TES:Fallout wins by default. It's the only one I've played.

I suspect it's worse than ME, SoZ and Avernum, but assuming the DRM shitfest continues I'll never play the two former, and I haven't gotten around to Avernum 5 yet.

Honourable mention goes to:
PlaneScape: Torment.
Temple of Elemental Evil.
Fallout.
Daggerfall.
Pool of Radiance.

I know that's too many, but each of those does a particular kind of cRPG better than anything else I've tried (nevermind that PoR is mediocre and Daggerfall sucks).

fastpunk

Arbiter
Disconnected said:
TES:Fallout wins by default. It's the only one I've played.

I suspect it's worse than ME, SoZ and Avernum, but assuming the DRM shitfest continues I'll never play the two former, and I haven't gotten around to Avernum 5 yet.

SoZ has DRM? I never heard of install limits for it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow but I seriously doubt it. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Kavax

Scholar
I haven't played any 2008 RPG yet soo...

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Fallout 2
Runner Up: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Third Place: Ultima VII Part I
Honorable Mention: Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Dwarf Fortress, Gothic, Gothic 2

Suchy

Arcane
+ for the topic

RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Fallout 3 (seems like SoZ is trendy, but its IWD and Dungeon Crawler traits scared me away successfuly)
Best Visuals: Mass Effect
Best Sound: The Witcher EE
Honorable Mention: MoTB

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Betrayal at Krondor
Runner Up: Fallout 2
Third Place: Fallout
Honorable Mention: Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Arcanum, Gothic 2, Ultima 7

Disconnected

Scholar
fastpunk said:
SoZ has DRM? I never heard of install limits for it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow but I seriously doubt it. Can anyone confirm or deny?
I just double-checked. Seems I've been misinformed. Fucking lovely, I really wanted to play it :)

MoW will still be fucked though.

mondblut

Arcane
dagorkan said:
Did you try Eschalon?

Didn't like it. I loathe that roguelike 1-character, 1-step-per-turn stuff. It just isn't fun. Unless it has some new and interesting game mechanics (like those frostbitten finnish games, such as URW or Aleshar: World of ice), this stuff bores me to tears, like a diablow cut for turns. Give me a party of 6-8 and some action points instead.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dark Individual said:
Matt7895 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Matt7895 said:
Best RPG ever: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Evar?

Are you Codexers going to rape me for not putting Arcanum/PST/Fallout up there instead?

Don't think even Codexers are degenerate enough to rape a retard.
Nevar say nevar. Don't know 'til you try it.

But no, I don't think anyone here is particularly violent or rude. I bet most of the violent and rude dudes on the site are ordinary people who need a place where they can pretend they rape people who doesn't think the holy trinity as mandatory.

Deleted member 7219

Dark Individual said:
Matt7895 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Matt7895 said:
Evar?

Are you Codexers going to rape me for not putting Arcanum/PST/Fallout up there instead?

Don't think even Codexers are degenerate enough to rape a retard.

Says the cunt who has an Unwanted tag and a banned avatar. I really wish it was for real.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Matt7895 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Matt7895 said:
Evar?

KOTOR was a peculiar choice. I'm curious to know what impressed you so much. It wasn't a bad game, but best RPG evar?

Sodomy

Scholar
I haven't played SoZ yet, so I can't speak for '08, but for all time:

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Fallout
Runner Up: Geneforge 2
Third Place: Prelude to Darkness
Honorable Mention: Mask of the Betrayer, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Gothic 2

Deleted member 7219

Vault Dweller said:
Matt7895 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Matt7895 said:
Evar?

KOTOR was a peculiar choice. I'm curious to know what impressed you so much. It wasn't a bad game, but best RPG evar?

I'm only voting based on my own opinion. I suppose if you looked at non-linearity and choices and consequences, then Fallout or Arcanum would be better choices. I just went for the RPG I enjoyed more.

I don't pretend to be a critic. I'm just a gamer, and I enjoyed KOTOR far more than Arcanum. I liked Fallout, but liked KOTOR more.

Fallout has the better character system, but KOTOR has much more depth to it overall, with a fully fleshed out storyline. Plus, it had a multitude of quests, which Fallout lacked. Fallout was a good game mainly for the character system, combat and different endings. I found KOTOR much better as an all-round game, much more accessible and much more polished, with a lot more gaming hours too.

FalloutBR

Educated
RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Storm of Zehir
Best Visuals: Mass Effect PC
Best Sound: Mass Effect PC
Honorable Mention: King's Bounty, The Witcher EE, Fallout 3

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Baldur's Gate Series
Runner Up: Fallout 2
Third Place: Planescape Torment
Honorable Mention: Final Fantasy VI, Vampire: Bloodlines, Knights of the Old Republic (only the 1st one), Freedpm Force

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIO FANBOYS UNITE!!!

RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Mass Effect
Best Visuals: Mass Effect
Best Sound: Mass Effect/SOZ 9ME for the whole package, and SOZ 'cause the music is awesome)
Honorable Mention: SOZ by default; but I'm not even sure if I really even like it yet but it's the only RPG I've played this year other than ME.

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Neverwinter Nights
Runner Up: BG2
Third Place: FO2
Honorable Mention: BG1, FO1, ME, MOTB, and FF8.

x4nti

Educated
RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Fallout 3
Best Visuals: Fallout 3
Best Sound: Storm of Zehir
Honorable Mention: King's bounty

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Fallout 1
Runner Up: VtM:B
Third Place: Arcanum
Honorable Mention: Fallout 2, MotB, BG2, IWD2, ToEE.

BaMeR

Novice
RPGs released in 2008 -
Game of the Year: Mass Effect
Best Visuals: Fallout 3(PA nailed)
Best Sound: ---
Honorable Mention: Storm of Zehir (thaks obsidian to cater to the old school, but not the school i went to. The cohorts gave me nightmares nwn1 style,how i miss MotB, and for a more combat centric rpg, the nwn2 combat system sucks compared to the bg series.)

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Torment
Runner Up: Fallout series
Third Place: VtM Bloodlines
Honorable Mention: Baldure's Gate the first rpg i played

racofer

Thread Incliner
Didn't play any RPG released this year, so:

RPGs of all time -
Best RPG ever: Bloodlines
Runner Up: KOTOR
Third Place: KOTOR2
Honorable Mention: Witcher, ToEE, NWN( because of the gazillions of modules)

I'm with Matt of this one about KOTOR. It's a good game, very enjoyable in my opinion. From a Star Wars games point of view it's probably the best one. What I found really enjoyable about it is that even the side quests somehow relate to the main quest, so I honestly don't recall any of those fedex quests present on so many other RPGs. Also I seem to be the only one who actually liked it's interface and combat mode while everyone else squeals like a pig whenever KOTOR and Combat are put together on the same sentence.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
Racofer, you and Volourn get my respect for realizing that NWN was a great engine that spawned loads of great modules.

But I'm curious as to why everyone loves KOTOR 1 and 2 so much. I played them both all the way through (as rentals on Xbox, maybe the PC version was good?) and was left very disappointed by both. I felt like I had just played a Final Fantasy game, they were so linear, shallow, and simplistic. Maybe I'm just not enough of a Star Wars fan to fully appreciate them, but as an RPG fan, I disliked them.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'm going to add this year's list later on. It's probably gonna' have SoZ in there, 'cuz I'm a fanboi, won't have FO3, because I can't be arsed to play it and dislike first-person sightseeing games in general, and will include the newest Avernum. I just need to check out SoZ.

And the best of the best, or the least worst of the best that I enjoyed the most:

1st Place: I've got this one tied: Planescape: Torment + Mask of the Betrayer + Deus Ex.
2nd: FO 1, Gothic 2 with Night of the Raven.
3rd: Gothic 1 & 2 (the second one without Night of the Raven)+ Vampire tM: Bloodlines + FO 2.
Honourblade mentions: both NWNs for the modability although with one up for NWN2, ADOM (hur), Arcanum, Avernum and Geneforge series + Nethergate, System Shock.

Those that don't get honourblade mentions but I still enjoyed at least quite a bit: BG 1 & 2, Temple of Elemental Evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom